royalist or republican?

chrisp65

Are you a Royalist or a Republican?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Royalist or a Republican?

• I have a position somewhere between the two
    • I am supporter of a Republic
    • I am a supporter of the Royal Family
    • I couldn't care less

Well I tried this thread a while ago and it quickly descended into a scrap. But now my nipper is doing 'the significance of Cromwell' so I thought I'd try and start it up again.

So, the royal family, embarassing throwback? our greatest asset? a tourist attraction? wouldn't poke them with someone elses stick? no better alternative? something constant in a mad world?

i like em, instantly recognisable and easily the thing that you'd most identify us with, IMO no matter how shit the government get we've always got the queen, not like the yanks where they had bush as the tip of the sword and they looked stupid for it, italy the same now and egypt obviously, we have the world wide known and respected queen

that said i dont read up or am i interested in the slightest about trying to find dirt on the royal family, no doubt a fair few people could tell me about how they are a bunch of out dated numpties

For me Im quite proud of them. Im not even really sure why myself but I cant help it. Theyre like living history that immediatly conjures up all the things I love about Englad even if they arent directly linked to them. I also like how they are a constant represenatation around the world. Nations change statemen all the time but we dont get many Kings or Queens in a lifetime, and that means they are recognised world wide and for a long time.

I will never understand why a few select people will earn millions a year for free, don't have to work a single day in their lives other than attend functions and dinner parties, they also receive 24/7 security charged to the tax payer, and some ordinary people think it is fine and applaud it.

"Tradition". It is laughable.

to those criticising the money the 'few select people who earn millions a year for free', most including the Queen work very hard promoting the UK, are highly respected ambassadors abroad, and most improtant of all bring much more money into the country through tourism than they get it handouts...

'all the do is add to the tax burden'.....mental, although id maybe allow that one if only talking about Prince Charles, although even that nutcase has his good points with his charity work etc.

What about those members of the Royal Family who cost the taxpayers thousands of pounds in security fees, so they can go out clubbing, whilst being guarded by police officers etc? Are they worth it? I'm talking about those members who bring next to no tourism into the country.

I like Constitutional Monarchy as an institution and the continuity it brings to the British establishment. I personally couldn't give a flyer that our Head of State is unelected because of the cermeonial nature of the position, and given the frankly D- quality of most politicians and PM's since WWII, the idea of any of them being an elected President is frightening. At least you know where you are with Lizzie.

I do believe in Democracy as an ideal but it's now fundamentally corrupted and unable to deliver for the people. It's hard not to think that we'd be in a far better place as a country now if she'd ruled as benign monarchial dictator for the last 50 years.

On the flip side Cromwell was (imo) the greatest and most individually significant historical Briton. Enshrining the supremacy of the peoples' voice (I know that's carp these days, but it was the idea) in our system of Government was a great achievement. If you look at the turmoil most of the rest of the world has been through since Cromwell's revolution it takes some steady revisionism to believe that we didn't get our constitutional balance about right because of his actions. It's just a pity that since then we've struggled to find people who would govern with such high minded idealism. Gladstone maybe? Can't think of anyone else.

"If you don't have a monarch then the President thinks he is the king."

I'm not sure who said that first, but I kinda agree with it, and I kinda agree with what Awol said above me. There really isn't much that I am unhappy about with the current system, and comparing our royals to those who were overthrown in France or Russia is hugely.misleading.

Who cares? They have no power, the monarch is only a figurehead and the bring money whilst maintaining one of our countries traditions that other people find interesting.

A Korean guy gave me his condolences for the death of Diana the other day!

Â