royalist or republican?

chrisp65

Are you a Royalist or a Republican?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Royalist or a Republican?

• I have a position somewhere between the two
    • I am supporter of a Republic
    • I am a supporter of the Royal Family
    • I couldn't care less

Im proud to be British and proud to have a royal family. Many republican countries would love a monarchy.

These countries would be?

Perhaps Germany and Greece would take our lot back?

I'm not bothered. keep em, they bring in tourists and it gives the country a sense of history.

I'll just point you to France on that one. You think the Palace of Versailles gets less visitors because they chopped off their royals heads all those years ago?

My point is that many people still want a monarch, not just the over the hill brigade.

Looks like the polls showing that too.

Despite their commical attempts to put a brave face on it, even the organisation "Republic" accept that only about 20% of the population favour abolition, which by Danwichmann's benchmark makes 80% of the UK population brain washed window lickers.

Fact is the Republicans (like the pro EU mob) make noise out of all proportion to their actual numbers and the majority of the population quietly take the opposite view. That may change but I can't see why it would.

even the organisation "Republic" accept that only about 20% of the population favour abolition .

[looks up at poll results]

The population (voting population on this thread) of VillaTalk.

As usual, ahead of our time. :mrgreen:

The general public will eventually catch us up.

:lol:

Im proud ... to have a royal family.

An interesting viewpoint.

I can understand acceptance of them, of their perceived benefits to the UK etc.

I can understand perhaps not wanting rid on grounds that they cost less than they used to, and are useful figureheads for the country, and don't wield any real power so what's their harm?

I can understand not wanting what the alternative may bring.

But PRIDE?

What is there to be proud of with regards to the Royal Family? :?

Whatever personal opinion one takes about the Monarchy/Republic debate, the institution is hugely respected internationally and wields a wholly disproportionate level of influence over many foreign regimes outside of the "West" that our political representatives couldn't hope to match. That ultimately benefits the UK, be that in the form of trade agreements, foreign policy support etc.

When the Queen recently visited Oman the locals were literally thronging the streets to greet her and it was the same in Abu Dhabi - union flags beng waved everywhere. That happened because of who she is (our Queen) and as a Brit it made me proud to see it.

Whatever personal opinion one takes about the Monarchy/Republic debate, the institution is hugely respected internationally and wields a wholly disproportionate level of influence over many foreign regimes outside of the "West" that our political represents couldn't hope to match. That ultimately benefits the UK, be that in the form of trade agreements, foreign policy support etc.

When the Queen recently visited Oman the locals were literally thronging the streets to greet her and it was the same in Abu Dhabi - union flags beng waved everywhere. That happened because of who she is (our Queen) and as a Brit it made me proud to see it.

It's the Union bleedin' Jack. Please don't believe all that bullshit about it only being called that on a ship. Go back 10 years and NOBODY called it the Union Flag.

It's the Union bleedin' Jack. Please don't believe all that bullshit about it only being called that on a ship. Go back 10 years and NOBODY called it the Union Flag.

Aye aye, Cap'n! :winkold:

Fair Doos.

Doesn't have the same effect on me, I have to say.

I find all that "foreign minions fawning over our relic Royal Family" quite embarrasing.

In fact, I find it bizarre when it happens in this country too. But then again I find the adulation of Kate Price by kids and halfwits embarrasing too, and yet she's adored my millions.

I think I'm out of touch.

Whatever personal opinion one takes about the Monarchy/Republic debate, the institution is hugely respected internationally and wields a wholly disproportionate level of influence over many foreign regimes outside of the "West" that our political representatives couldn't hope to match. That ultimately benefits the UK, be that in the form of trade agreements, foreign policy support etc.

Ian't this more a pride in the way others see us (and our royal family) than an intrinsic pride in the royal family itself?

Pride in the way others view the royal family, is not the same as being proud of the royal family itself, surely?

I guess a certain amount of "pride" could be extracted from seeing the royals do things for charity and good causes, like Princess David when she did the whole land mine clearing thing for the UN. Again, wouldn't do it for me, but I could see some pride there for some to perhaps take.

Fair Doos.

I find all that "foreign minions fawning over our relic Royal Family" quite embarrasing.

In fact, I find it bizarre when it happens in this country too. But then again I find the adulation of Kate Price by kids and halfwits embarrasing too, and yet she's adored my millions.

I'm not sure Katie Price is adored by millions mate. If that are that many idiots... then maybe.

Incorrect terminology for several years does not make something correct Mart!

Stephen Fry is NEVER wrong! :winkold:

Actually - thinking about it - i think you can take pride in (some members of) the royal family - for (some of) what they do - the good causes etc.

However, morally and ideologically I think they should not exist or have a privileged position in society or our country, so I cannot take such a view myself, although I can see how one could.

*QI*

"Oh Stephen"

By this time the Ensign had become the principal naval distinguishing flag, so it became the practice to fly the Union Jack only in harbour, on a specially rigged staff in the bows of the ships, the jackstaff. It should thus be noted that the jack flag had existed for over a hundred and fifty years before the jack staff came into being, and its name was related to its size rather than to the position in which it was flown.

Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag".

Stephen Fry can stick it up his flagsie!

*QI*

"Oh Stephen"

By this time the Ensign had become the principal naval distinguishing flag, so it became the practice to fly the Union Jack only in harbour, on a specially rigged staff in the bows of the ships, the jackstaff. It should thus be noted that the jack flag had existed for over a hundred and fifty years before the jack staff came into being, and its name was related to its size rather than to the position in which it was flown.

Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag".

Stephen Fry can stick it up his flagsie!

You have out-researched the QI research team, Mart! :lol:

Fair Doos.

I find all that "foreign minionsfawning over our relic Royal Family" quite embarrasing.

Not quite sure about those terms myself - or what you are trying to imply - but I don't find foreign nationals displaying genuine affection for the British Head of State to be embarrassing at all.

QE II Vs some bird who gets her tits out? Not the greatest analogy imo.

Maybe you're just to cool for school, Jon? :winkold:

Â