royalist or republican?

chrisp65

Are you a Royalist or a Republican?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Royalist or a Republican?

• I have a position somewhere between the two
    • I am supporter of a Republic
    • I am a supporter of the Royal Family
    • I couldn't care less

I'm very much of Publican of the Re variety.

I dislike intensely what the Royal Family stands for, and the idea of privilege through Birth.

However, the Royal Family as it now stands really is a bit of a side issue, and simply a matter of pomp and ceremony over any actual large bearing on society. They don't cost us much, and bring in a fair bit of Tourism (or rather, the buildings do, not them per se)

I find them largely irrelevant.

Although they have swing me an extra day off work, so i'll raise a glass to the inbred brigade come that day (whenever it is)! :mrgreen::cheers:

Still, I'd probably vote to abolish them, were there to be a vote tomorrow.

On the flip side Cromwell was (imo) the greatest and most individually significant historical Briton. Enshrining the supremacy of the peoples' voice (I know that's carp these days, but it was the idea) in our system of Government was a great achievement. If you look at the turmoil most of the rest of the world has been through since Cromwell's revolution it takes some steady revisionism to believe that we didn't get our constitutional balance about right because of his actions. It's just a pity that since then we've struggled to find people who would govern with such high minded idealism. Gladstone maybe? Can't think of anyone else.

Yes, military dictators are great!! :bang: :bang:

I think it's an absolute disgrace that Cromwell's statue stands in Parliament Square. The guy was a military dictator. He had no interest in establishing democracy. The guy was offered the crown to limit his power and his plan for his succession just happened to be his son!

And as for the royal family, please, this is not the middle ages, what are they still doing here? :bang:

Reformed republican. When I lived in Brum, I was very much anti-monarchy.

I think living in London can give you a different perspective though. Possibly because I've worked with people who have very close connections with the Royal Family but probably more because I see what they actually do, I'm all in favour now.

In terms of what they actually do, I think it's easy to under-estimate their importance to trade, foreign relations and particularly the charity sector, not to mention their patronage of the arts.

Andrew is a twunt though.

Maybe its because we don't have a monarchy in Ireland but I don't understand why anyone would like the idea of a monarchy. The head of state should be elected not appointed though succession. Also the idea of someone being royalty simply because of their (inbred) family history is ballz.

Maybe its because we don't have a monarchy in Ireland but I don't understand why anyone would like the idea of a monarchy. The head of state should be elected not appointed though succession. Also the idea of someone being royalty simply because of their (inbred) family history is ballz.
Damn straight. :nod:

Maybe its because I haven't been brainwashed by the Daily Mail et al and have a modicum of common sense but I don't understand why anyone would like the idea of a monarchy. The head of state should be elected not appointed though succession. Also the idea of someone being royalty simply because of their (inbred) family history is ballz.

Fixed. Like you, I really can't even start to understand how anyone could want a monarchy.

Maybe its because I haven't been brainwashed by the Daily Mail et al and have a modicum of common sense

Fixed etc

But of course. Anyone who has an opinion differing from your nauseating lefty mantra is clearly brainwashed, or else brainless...

...Or maybe they are perfectly rational people who just happen to disagree with you?

It's the 21st Century, anyone who thinks a royal family can have any possible relevant role in the world is either brain washed or brain dead.
In a world where millions go around worshipping invisible beings anything is possible.

I've given up.

..the idea of privilege through Birth.

That is easily the worst bit.

When people say the Royal Family where do they stop? Is it at the Queen's grand kids or do we go down to the whole titles system that this country seems to think is worth keeping.

It's the 21st Century, anyone who thinks a royal family can have any possible relevant role in the world is either brain washed or brain dead.

Oh, okay then. Thanks for clearing that up.

I like Constitutional Monarchy as an institution and the continuity it brings to the British establishment. I personally couldn't give a flyer that our Head of State is unelected because of the cermeonial nature of the position, and given the frankly D- quality of most politicians and PM's since WWII, the idea of any of them being an elected President is frightening. At least you know where you are with Lizzie.

I do believe in Democracy as an ideal but it's now fundamentally corrupted and unable to deliver for the people. It's hard not to think that we'd be in a far better place as a country now if she'd ruled as benign monarchial dictator for the last 50 years.

On the flip side Cromwell was (imo) the greatest and most individually significant historical Briton. Enshrining the supremacy of the peoples' voice (I know that's carp these days, but it was the idea) in our system of Government was a great achievement. If you look at the turmoil most of the rest of the world has been through since Cromwell's revolution it takes some steady revisionism to believe that we didn't get our constitutional balance about right because of his actions. It's just a pity that since then we've struggled to find people who would govern with such high minded idealism. Gladstone maybe? Can't think of anyone else.

Cromwell was a c@nt

Â