royalist or republican?

chrisp65

Are you a Royalist or a Republican?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Royalist or a Republican?

• I have a position somewhere between the two
    • I am supporter of a Republic
    • I am a supporter of the Royal Family
    • I couldn't care less

What pisses me off is the forelock-tugging deference that is expected of us minions. If you get a royal visit you are told how you should address them, etc. - all this "Your highness" crap.

If I get introduced to - say - a new work colleague, we exchange first names and that's what we call each other. If I ever meet Prince Charles he can call me Mike and I'll call him Charles. I don't owe him any more - or less - respect than our toilet cleaners, just because he was born into that family. How I'd behave with him if I had to work with him on a regular basis would be the same as anyone else - if he's OK, great, if he's a bit of an irritant I'd be polite but try and avoid him if possible, if he's truly obnoxious I'd tell him he's a rocket polisher. Same as anybody else. I'd expect him to treat me the same way.

Some people treat them like they're **** gods - they just strike me as rich chavs.

What pisses me off is the forelock-tugging deference that is expected of us minions.

I detest any kind of deferential attitude; I have absolutely no problem with giving people due respect put it too often swings towards deference and when that occurs simply due to an inherited position, it is even more appalling.

If I get introduced to - say - a new work colleague, we exchange first names and that's what we call each other. If I ever meet Prince Charles he can call me Mike and I'll call him Charles. I don't owe him any more - or less - respect than our toilet cleaners, just because he was born into that family. How I'd behave with him if I had to work with him on a regular basis would be the same as anyone else - if he's OK, great, if he's a bit of an irritant I'd be polite but try and avoid him if possible, if he's truly obnoxious I'd tell him he's a rocket polisher. Same as anybody else. I'd expect him to treat me the same way.

I think that's all perfectly fair enough (although Mr Mooney and Mr Windsor/Mountbatten-Windsor/Mountbatten would be okay, wouldn't it? :P).

In fact, I find it bizarre when it happens in this country too. But then again I find the adulation of Kate Price by kids and halfwits embarrasing too, and yet she's adored my millions.

QE II Vs some bird who gets her tits out? Not the greatest analogy imo.

Yes, Katie Price got to where she is today without being born into that privilaged position. To compare her to someone who got where they are simply by being born is an insult to Katie Price.

Mike,

Out of interest if you met another country's HoS say POTUS for example, would you call him Barack or Mr President?

If it was me I'd call him Barack because that's his name, He isn't my president*. Just like Alex ferguson is Alex not Sir Alex or The pope is Benedict (or Joeseph) not his holiness.

*For the record even if i was american I'd still call him barack just for the craic.

Mike,

Out of interest if you met another country's HoS say POTUS for example, would you call him Barack or Mr President?

Default = Mr Obama, unless he told me otherwise. Don't mind that, but the royals don't give you that option (as per Snowy's suggestion above), as they don't really have a surname - another absurdity.

Â