Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

They are both as poor as each other. Wouldn't get into any other team in the Premiership. Wasted money on Kozak, Helenuis and Tonev should have gone on a defender. Lambert's biggest mistake.

In fairness he did but he got injured.

With Vlaar's injury record, one defender in the summer was never going to be enough to ensure the Chuckle Brothers wouldn't be called upon.

More inexcusable was that Donacien hasn't been given any sort of chance despite him effectively being fourth choice centre-back. Especially when we had three centre-backs injured against Sheffield United. He might have proven to be more competant than Clark or Baker but we'll never know due to Lambert's reactionism.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 3

They are both as poor as each other. Wouldn't get into any other team in the Premiership. Wasted money on Kozak, Helenuis and Tonev should have gone on a defender. Lambert's biggest mistake.

In fairness he did but he got injured.

He did. Okore didn't start the season as first choice though. I fully understand that as he was just 21 years old and had only played 70 senior games in a much inferior league. He looks promising but it was always going to take him time to settle in to the pace of and quality in the Premier League. Would he have been up to speed now and better than we have. I genuinely don't know.

What I do know is that Okore got injured in September and it was known then that he would be out for the season. January then came and went and no short term replacement was brought in. This left us with an injury prone Vlaar and the chuckle brothers as our choices. It is no surpirse that we have again found ourselves leaking goals.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

Read an article from Lambert yesterday that he is going to rely on the homegrown villa fans against Hull in the cup game

Albrighton, Gabby and Baker

Does that mean he's going to start? Please.... no

I think the problem with Baker is that he's just not a smart enough defender. While Vlaar (when in form) sees things develop and cuts them out, Baker is much more of a 'stick your laces/head through it when it's near' type defender, rather than being able to stop the danger happening in the first place. The thing is, his lack of pace means that he's often not quick enough to actually get there and clear it. Maybe in a few years he'll develop into a smarter defender, but right now, he doesn't have the qualities to be a CB in this league. It's a shame, because you want to see players that come through the academy succeed, and he's had some decent performances, but we need consistency now.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nathan Baker is by far the worst player I have ever seen in a Villa shirt. Complete garbage. I don't think he is even good enough for the Championship. Players like him make me mad as they are simply robbing a living. I appreciate that he trys hard but at this level I expect nothing less. Its all well and good being able to head a ball but I am 6'3 and I feel I could win the occasional header like Baker plus I have the heart and desire to win 50-50 tackles and take one for the team yet I get payed peanuts in my profession and god knows what he earns. In my eyes he's thieving a living.

• Like 1

Nathan Baker is by far the worst player I have ever seen in a Villa shirt. Complete garbage. I don't think he is even good enough for the Championship. Players like him make me mad as they are simply robbing a living. I appreciate that he trys hard but at this level I expect nothing less. Its all well and good being able to head a ball but I am 6'3 and I feel I could win the occasional header like Baker plus I have the heart and desire to win 50-50 tackles and take one for the team yet I get payed peanuts in my profession and god knows what he earns. In my eyes he's thieving a living.

I think that's a bit harsh. He's trying his best to do a job that he's not really qualified to do. What do you expect?

I think that's a bit harsh. He's trying his best to do a job that he's not really qualified to do. What do you expect?

I can see why you think this is a harsh assessment and that is why I respect the fact that he does give everything for the team and I cannot question his effort however as for ability I believe he is very limited. Due to his lack of real quality he loses his head time and time again and ends up diving into tackles and giving away needless free kicks and penalties ultimately costing the team. I do not feel he has progressed as a player and often panics which unnerves the rest of the back line. But yes I agree he is trying his best its just his best isn't good enough and the idea of thieving a living I guess relates to the current climate in football which rewards sub standard players with attractive contracts and I guess that just irritates and infuriates me.

If I was as bad as my job as baker is at his there is no way I would still be in the position I am in like baker is in. I don't think he would get in a conference side week in week out and that's not been harsh.

• Like 1

Â