Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Hugely improved. His name on the team sheet doesn't fill me with dread like it used to. Still think Okore and Vlaar will be first choice partnership, but Baker is more than capable backup now and keeps getting better. Where this leaves Clark I do not know.

Hugely improved. His name on the team sheet doesn't fill me with dread like it used to. Still think Okore and Vlaar will be first choice partnership, but Baker is more than capable backup now and keeps getting better. Where this leaves Clark I do not know.

Well, this leaves Clark as back up. We need back up players to be as good as the first choice players.

And is Clark happy being 4th choice centre half? Vlaar and Okore, Baker as backup. Clark as 2nd backup. It's not bad but I think Clark would be expecting to play more than 2nd backup gets you. I suppose it creates good competition, remember we still have Herd, and Donacien.

Ron will continue missing games through injury as will Baker of course. Plus Okore suddenly won't be playing every single minute of every single game after a year out through injury. There will be plenty of chances for Clark next season.

Had a mate ask me if he is ready for an England call up. I said give him a couple of years he'll get a call up just after we've won the champions league and he's showed he's worked class credentials.

And is Clark happy being 4th choice centre half? Vlaar and Okore, Baker as backup. Clark as 2nd backup. It's not bad but I think Clark would be expecting to play more than 2nd backup gets you. I suppose it creates good competition, remember we still have Herd, and Donacien.

Okore has been out virtually all season with injury, Vlaar out on several occasions, so injuries happen, and we need cover for them.

If squad players do not want to be back up, they move on, ie. Derrick Williams. Herd is not a centre back and not playing at the moment anyway. Donacien, although on the bench for whatever reason, is not rated enough by Lambert to come on when there is an injury to a centre back and the back four is shuffled instead.

So in fact, at the moment, there are three centre backs available, which would indicate that decent back ups are indeed required.

I don't know if it's just me, but I think his age is often overlooked. The guy is 22 years old, playing in the most difficult league in the world and is maturing more and more every game. If he continues to develop the different aspects of his play he could turn out to be a very good CB in a few years time. 

• Like 1

Â