Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

He's looked pretty good the last few matches, a lot more calm and possessed. Even plays the short pass every once in a while to Bertrand or Westwood. A sustained spell alongside Vlaar could be really good for him.

He's looked pretty good the last few matches, a lot more calm and possessed. Even plays the short pass every once in a while to Bertrand or Westwood. A sustained spell alongside Vlaar could be really good for him.

Is there a reason behind his being picked over Clark?

Though he's played better, I think he was at fault for not tracking Hoolahan for his goal and then losing Hoolahan again for the shot that Guzan saved and Delph blocked. Just doesn't think quickly enough.

Is there a reason behind his being picked over Clark?
they both need plenty of game time since vlaar is likely to get injured at any stage. I assume they're simply being rotated to give them both ample game time Edited by P3te
  • Like 1

I would bring Clark back in for Chelsea.

I agree to be fair, only because I feel he gives better distribution of the ball and is probably slightly quicker than Baker. That said, Baker has done alright and I think it may be unfair to drop him.

Though he's played better, I think he was at fault for not tracking Hoolahan for his goal and then losing Hoolahan again for the shot that Guzan saved and Delph blocked. Just doesn't think quickly enough.

He was definitely at fault for the goal, he should have cut out the cross at the very least, but probably should have cleaned it up before then.

• 2 weeks later...

I've given him a lot of stick over the season but he's upped his game since Xmas. Deserves a bit of praise. There must be something good in there if he can keep a clean sheet against Chelsea.

Must be the power of his beard.

Baker always does well against big strikers who lack movement, Torres was actually for once against us rubbish and Demba Ba doesn't move much.

Where he struggles is with nippy strikers so it would've been interesting if an Eto'o in form had been fit yesterday. That would've been a good test. Next week against Crouch should suit him aswell, Man. United away less so I fear.

The good thing is Clark looked rubbish last season but I think he's had a good season and was unlucky to lose his place.

Centre half is a strange position. Many CBs looked poor in their early 20s but then develop into decent ones as they come up to 30, Michael Dawson and Colocinni are good examples of this, it's certainly an area you mature in.

For me Baker is a starter for 15-20 games a season when we play the physical direct teams like West Ham, Stoke, Palace etc.

The other key is the defence just improves with Ron in there, vital we get him signed up to a new deal before the World cup.

Think he will get there. He will learn loads from Vlaar and general prem experience. He will never be a ball playing centre half but can be part of a defensive unit that dosnt hoof.

Got the build and the heading ability even if he is sometimes like a dog with a ball getting himself injured. He is pretty imposing and in time his beard will be class.

Â