Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

I don't think there was much he could have done in this specific situation though.

Agreed - IMO the frequency of these injuries is more down to a style of defending that as a club we have employed over the past number of years which is the last minute lunge and throwing bodies at balls rather than perhaps a more tactical approach.

Having said that, as a player with rather limited ability I don't think he or his defensive pals could manage a more tactical approach. 

Edited by Pilchard

Getting sick of reading the abuse this young lad gets from Villa fans. I think he's doing just fine, is brave as they come and if he gets a run with Vlaar we'll see just how much potential Nathan has. Give the kid a break.

Exactly! Problem is the whole team are doing. "just fine".

Getting sick of reading the abuse this young lad gets from Villa fans. I think he's doing just fine, is brave as they come and if he gets a run with Vlaar we'll see just how much potential Nathan has. Give the kid a break.

fine1
fʌɪn/
adjective

1. 1.
    of very high quality; very good of its kind.
    "this was a fine piece of film-making"
    synonyms: excellent, first-class, first-rategreatexceptionaloutstanding,admirablequalitysuperiorsplendidmagnificentbeautifulexquisite,choiceselectprimesupremesuperbwonderfulsublime,superlative, very good, of high quality, of a high standard, second to none, toprareMore
  • Like 2

fine1
fʌɪn/
adjective

1. 1.
    of very high quality; very good of its kind.
    "this was a fine piece of film-making"
    synonyms: excellent, first-class, first-rategreatexceptionaloutstanding,admirablequalitysuperiorsplendidmagnificentbeautifulexquisite,choiceselectprimesupremesuperbwonderfulsublime,superlative, very good, of high quality, of a high standard, second to none, toprareMore

Maybe you used the incorrect word then. cause I very much doubt any of these words above describe Bakers ability as a football player!!

Dont get me wrong I dont dislike the guy he grafts. But his graft shows a very average player who is not Premiership quality.

• Like 1

I don't know. Clark's problems last year were that he tried to get too cute when he was on the ball, he didn't use his physicality well, and he got bullied by bigger forwards. He seems to be putting his foot about more and cut out his problems in possession. But he still read the game well, intercepted the ball and didn't let his man get behind him too much.

Baker's strong and brave. Good in the air and at a last ditch tackle. But will he learn to be better on the ball? Can he improve more than Clark in reading the game and not letting his man get behind him (Long at WBA is a good example)? I don't know

• Like 2

I don't know. Clark's problems last year were that he tried to get too cute when he was on the ball, he didn't use his physicality well, and he got bullied by bigger forwards. He seems to be putting his foot about more and cut out his problems in possession. But he still read the game well, intercepted the ball and didn't let his man get behind him too much.

Baker's strong and brave. Good in the air and at a last ditch tackle. But will he learn to be better on the ball? Can he improve more than Clark in reading the game and not letting his man get behind him (Long at WBA is a good example)? I don't know

:wub:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nathan, most here agree, is brave and tackles with authority, but I also agree that he seems to have a bit of trouble reading the match, anticipating, etc. I'm wondering if someone has stats to support this perception? Interceptions for example.

I may be wrong, but he seems to read better when playing with 3 (or 5) in the back. Or does it just seem that way because of the difference in the formation, spacing?

Those of you who coach, is there a way, besides playing time, to teach a defender to read the game better? Put him for hours in the middle of a 3 man keep away?

He has a heart like a lion, but I really wonder if he is good enough for this level.

Might be too soon to tell, but we certainly need to bring in another CB in the summer, as he is not, at this stage, good enough.

I still don't think so. Had Okore not injured himself so badly, we would've been ok. Baker as 4th choice is good enough in my opinion.

Obviously if we have money, then go for it. But I hear we're lacking in funds a bit, so we must use them efficiently. I would use our limited funds to buy two quality midfielders and sign Bertrand.

He has a heart like a lion, but I really wonder if he is good enough for this level.

Might be too soon to tell, but we certainly need to bring in another CB in the summer, as he is not, at this stage, good enough.

I still don't think so. Had Okore not injured himself so badly, we would've been ok. Baker as 4th choice is good enough in my opinion.

Obviously if we have money, then go for it. But I hear we're lacking in funds a bit, so we must use them efficiently. I would use our limited funds to buy two quality midfielders and sign Bertrand.

You are probably correct.

My worry is that Okore, though I have high hopes for him, is as yet unproven, and Vlaar is so important his absences cause real problems in a vital area, and I do not feel confident with Baker coming in in those circumstances.

In a perfect world - the 3 you have mentioned, a CB and a right full back of Bertrand's standard. One can dream.

Edited by AntrimBlack
  • Like 1

You are probably correct.

My worry is that Okore, though I have high hopes for him, is as yet unproven, and Vlaar is so important his absences cause real problems in a vital area, and I do not feel confident with Baker coming in in those circumstances.

In a perfect world - the 3 you have mentioned, a CB and a right full back of Bertrand's standard. One can dream.

Dream is all we have. :)

It's true I rely on Okore to be as good as we think, or hope. If he isn't, then it changes my opinion. But I believe he is.

Contrary to many others here, I like Bacuna at RB.

I wouldn't abuse the lad but hes very average/poor, hes a brute and you cant fault the commitment but sometimes that isn't good enough.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree. But as others have said or alluded to, baker should really be 4th choice.

And for where we are, he's not a bad defender to have as your 4th choice CB.

Our problem is one of the guys in front of him got a horrible injury, and another is injury prone. Baker gets used more than he should, really.

Can't fault the commitment though.

Â