Project Anthem [Poll Added To OP]

Shoody

Anthem Choice  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Anthem Choice

• The Bells are Ringing
    • Ghost Riders
    • Stand by Me

I think we need to get a poll on here, then someone asks on the other fan sites to set some up on them, then somehow a poll on facebook, add the results together, head to the general, I'm for song sheets, but not words on the big screen.

Thunderstruck - ac/dc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f1cwycSWq0

Just change "Thunder" to Villa. Would be awesome.

Edit - could even make the guitar solo the music players walk out to.

I tried to get a new anthem going a while ago with that clapping tune from one of the German clubs FC Cologne I think- we wrote words & everything but people argued over the choice, so it soon got dropped.

The first part of this ACDC track would be awesome & save anyone learning words like you say chant "Villa" instead of Thunder!..

Exactly, no need for song sheets etc and you'd scare the shit out of the away team/ really hype up the vila players

I think we need to get a poll on here, then someone asks on the other fan sites to set some up on them, then somehow a poll on facebook, add the results together, head to the general, I'm for song sheets, but not words on the big screen.

I think this would be a really good idea. There's now nigh on 49K VT members & no idea how many on H & V & the others. The Fear would help I'm sure.

No I don't think songsheets & karaoke would be a good idea! We'd all be laughed at royally & labelled as thick Brummies who can't learn anything!

The Paul McGrath song soon caught on & got adopted & more verses added. I remember the first time it got sung away at St James' Park the Toon Army just shut up so they could listen. Awesome!

Need to keep it simple, stirring & easy to remember & no foul language in it IMO so everyone can join in.

Rousing choruses of "**** on the City" heralding from the Holte etc do nothing for me as I have no idea who they are singing about because they don't exist as far as I'm concerned bar the odd occasion!

Got to be The Bells are Ringing. More rousing than Stand by me and Ghostriders. Like someone said earlier who wants a cowboy song, Yippe I oh doesn't do it for me, and stand by me is to slow. If not The Bells then prefer an adapted song by Steve Winwood who lived in Brum or Roy Wood, Ozzy Osborne, Moody blues, all have a connection to Birmingham.

This is my choice, it's all about the Villa, the colours and the ground. Plus every one stands for the one verse. Not singing about the scum and anybody else, or beating someone up. A song that no one can nick or change for themselves ie You'll never walk alone. Get the whole ground singing this and it would be spine tingling. Yippe I ay yippe I oh is not spine tingling either is Stand by me.

THEeeeeeeeeeeeee........... BELLS ARE RINGING FOR CLARET AND BLUE

EVERYBODY START SINGING FOR THE CLARET AND BLUE

EVERY VILLAN IS KNOWING

TO VILLA PARK WERE GOING

ASTON VILLA ARE SHOWING WERE THE BEST IN THE LAND.

EVERYBODY UP STANDING FOR THE CLARET AND BLUE

THE BELLS ARE RINGING FOR THE CLARET AND BLUE

EVERY VILLAN IS KNOWING

TO VILLA PARK WHERE GOING

THE VILLA LIONS ARE SHOWING WERE THE BEST IN THE LAND.

ps The long Theeeeeeeeeee lets everyone know to join in.

The problem with song sheets and karaoke on the big screen is we'll just have the piss ripped out of us by everyone else. Can you imagine what we'd say if we turned up for an away game and they had a bit of pre-match karaoke?

Yep.

It's never going to happen. There are what, 100 maybe 200 regulars that use this website?

Thunderstruck would be great. The verses could be easily adapted too.

I'm with this. Although I wouldn't object to anything else.

It's an awesome piece of music at the start..exactly what we need.

Start off with just one simple verse & the Villa chant & it can be built on.

The club may also like to play a little snippet every time we score so that fans can join in again with the chant. I know a few of the other clubs play their music across the tannoy when their team score - annoyed the hell out of me as a Villa fan - but seems to rouse the opposition fans from stupour.

This could be where Brigada step in and do their part. :)

But they don't sit in the Holte, do they?

Not speaking for the group but personally I find this anthem thing a bit forced, I can speak for the group when I say we'd like to get the Bells are ringing sung/heard on a regular basis, we have tried on every occasion were all at a game together to do this.

An anthem is something that arises naturally.

This isn't. It won't work.

Besides, we've already got anthems - no one sings them in their entirety, few people care.

Exactly. This is all a bit too contrived to be honest and the chances of it being succesful are slim to none.

I still think the bells are ringing is a bit shit. And yes, it is contrived, but if this is something we want doing, how would it not be contrived?

The General has said that this is something the club are fully behind, we just need to approach them with our choice.

Brigada 1874 are the men in this case I think. If they can start singing it at games next season when they get tickets together and some VT'ers pick up on it, it might get going. Trying to teach a group of middleaged men the words to a song like they were at some sort of camp is doomed to failure. Patience is key on this one. If Brigada1874 get up and running and are in any way cohesive, it could happen, but otherwise no. Singing the words out of the programme, putting them up on the big screens? Nah

great optimism guys. not even worth a try?

My feelings too, unless it's because I think it's a good idea & the usual suspects naturally oppose it!

I gave up years ago on this....I was told that an anthem would spring up of it's own accord ... we're still waiting as far as I'm aware. I thought the Paul McGrath one was kinda becoming a bit of an anthem but it's not very stirring.

Wish people would decide & stick with it whatever it is.

Â