Project Anthem [Poll Added To OP]

Shoody

Anthem Choice  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Anthem Choice

• The Bells are Ringing
    • Ghost Riders
    • Stand by Me

no. listen mate we're all villa fans here, we are just trying this out alright, not really sure what your issue is? if it doesn't work fine but may as well give it a go. another forum has noticed this thread and got a bit of discussion on there, get it on a the rest hopefully and facebook, big poll, general, you never know. sorry if your'e not behind it.

It could conceivably happen if VT and H&V submitted a song to the club. The club could announce it on the OS, post the lyrics on the site, print the lyrics on programmes, and play the opening bit of the recorded original version of the song in order to set the tempo and tone, etc....

Yeah, it would be very contrived and what not, but it seems like the two anthems we've got don't really get sung that much, or by many people.

If The Bells are Ringing wins, then getting it known by younger fans and sung by more can only be a good thing. If another tune wins, same thing. The net result is more singing, not such a bad thing, eh?

Oh the time will come up

When the winds will stop

And the breeze will cease to be breathin'

Like the stillness in the wind

'Fore the hurricane begins

The hour that the Villa comes in.

And the seas will split

And the ship will hit

And the sands on the shoreline will be shaking

Then the tide will sound

And the wind will pound

And the morning will be breaking.

Oh the fishes will laugh

As they swim out of the path

And the seagulls they'll be smiling

And the rocks on the sand

Will proudly stand

The hour that the Villa comes in.

(I'm aware of how ludicrous a suggestion this is. Bob Dylan - When the ship comes in... nice and slooooooow.)

Ghost Riders is the one i would go for. Does it really matter that is a "country song" or the words are the wrong way! Thunderstruck is also a good choice. Even blues have a good song that they play before and as the teams come out, and it gets the crowd going. Let have a poll and get on with it.

I dont think a Anthem is a good idea before the games. Its just not us. I think the older songs should be sung more as we had some cracking songs back in the day. With regards to the younger villa fans, theycwant to sing them but need the older villa fans to get them going. The only way the younger generation are goin to learn the songs is that the older ones pass it on and start singing them. I think at the start of games we just dont know what to sing and everyone is waiting for one another and the game starts and we havent sung anything. We just all need to get together on here and say right when we play this game at home we are going to lift the roof and start singing the bells are ringing and then get everyone up for it, same for the next game and the next game until the fans are one and all up for it. Just need to spread the word. I dont think having words on the back of programmes and the club playing music is going to help it will be like going to church. We just need to get together as fans get a forum started on here right this is the game. One last thing as for the Paul McGrath song we dont even say his name anymore we skip that part and go on to its your round, shit suppourt and whatever else we can add on, the song itself is just lost with a load of crap we add on the end.

im not against having an anthem. i just see it as being something that would be very difficult to implement. for most clubs with such anthems, they have been around for years, to the point that i bet very few in the stadium could tell you its origin. they just went to a game as a kid and their dad said 'this is our anthem, sing along'. i just cannot see how you could implement an anthem into an opinionated supporter base. several have been suggested on the thread with many saying 'i prefer this one', 'nah, i prefer this one'...there will just be too many people against whatever song is chosen.

in terms of what to use, personally, ghost riders in the sky is too quick and wordy to be used. i love the bells are ringing, but i want that to take off as more of an in-game song than an anthem. IMO it should be something where the artist is connected with birmingham and/or the club. there must be a good ozzy / sabbath tune out there that would be appropriate?! i think one of the members of 5IVE was a villa fan too...

Its just not us.

what does that even mean? we aren't worthy of having a club anthem? we are above having a club anthem? both would seem pretty proposterous to me.

holte enders in the sky is arguably our club anthem already as its completely unique to us, so how can the idea of everyone singing it in unison before kick off, with the original version being played on the PA system, creating a cauldron of noise which hopefully would intimidate opposition fans and players be something that we couldn't/shouldn't do?

just on a side note, i study in nottingham and go down to forest quite regularly and their anthem is Mull of Kintyre which they have fitted their own words to. something along the lines of 'Oh city ground.. Oh the mist rolling in from the trent... My desire is always to be here... Oh city ground.. oh cityy ground'. call it tacky or whatever you want but imo its something we're crying out for.

Im just saying that its down to us fans just to sing the songs not for all us to have hymn sheets before the game and wait for the music to come on. Then all sit back down. Its a simple thing just stand up and sing start middle and end the fans need to create the atmosphere not the club. Theres no better buzz when the players walk onto the pitch and we all start singing villa villa and so on imo we just need to keep singing throughout the game. simple as

Im just saying that its down to us fans just to sing the songs not for all us to have hymn sheets before the game and wait for the music to come on. Then all sit back down. Its a simple thing just stand up and sing start middle and end the fans need to create the atmosphere not the club. Theres no better buzz when the players walk onto the pitch and we all start singing villa villa and so on imo we just need to keep singing throughout the game. simple as

to be fair i think the idea of an anthem is that it would get the whole stadium singing, not just the holte/lower north. you wont get the doug ellis and trinity singing the regular songs. not having a go at them, they just choose not to and its their choice. but an anthem would get them joining in too and maybe, just maybe, they would find out they have a singing voice and join in some of the chants during the game too

yes its down to the fans to create the atmosphere so thats what were trying to do here. my inspiration is YNWA. classic known by all, passed down from dad to son, PA sets tempo, crowd join, its electric. we are trying to start it off here, it can be played over PA, put on OS as the general has said he is fully behind the idea and hear that amazing roar from all 4 stands after it on kick off. it can be achieved.

you're absolutely right but you're preaching to the converted in a sense because when im at VP im standing in K4 singing every song in the book.

aside from saving those in the doug, trinity and north upper from getting deep vein thrombosis because they might actually stand up and move about a bit to sing along, who knows the introduction of an anthem may encourage more fans to be more vocal for the rest of the 90 minutes as well?

yes its down to the fans to create the atmosphere so thats what were trying to do here. my inspiration is YNWA. classic known by all, passed down from dad to son, PA sets tempo, crowd join, its electric. we are trying to start it off here, it can be played over PA, put on OS as the general has said he is fully behind the idea and hear that amazing roar from all 4 stands after it on kick off. it can be achieved.

Yeah, but they didnt start singing YNWA until the 60's...it's not like they've been singing it since 1900....

The point being is, an anthem, or just another song to unify support can begin whenever. Who knows, maybe in 50 years time, they'll be asking about how did "Stand By Me" become such a massive song at Villa Park :lol:

Â