Shoody

Anthem Choice  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Anthem Choice

• The Bells are Ringing
    • Ghost Riders
    • Stand by Me

Stand By Me is romping ahead - why ?

Not knowing how it sounds I clicked on the link hoping to be go to a You tube example. But woops looks like I voted instead!

This happened to me, I was hoping some sort of feature was on there so I can listen to the songs (yes i know i can youtube it manually)

I clicked on the link & it said at the top I'd already voted?!!

I have no idea which song I'm supposed to have voted for but I think my choice would be Thunderstruck.

I don't mind though if it's Stand By Me, Bells are Ringing or anything - I'm happy to get behind whatever is decided on.

Delilah is no way an anthem but it kinda works as a signature tune because the fans sing it right around the ground!

(Maybe I'm onto something ...................)

I clicked on the link & it said at the top I'd already voted?!!

Yeah, same here. Thunder would be fantastic. Can you imagine it? (cue loud rock music)...VILLA!...(even louder rock music)...VILLA!...(even louder rock music)...VILLA!

Ooooh yes.

Point is - fans started to sing the songs - and they took over as an anthem.

Stand By Me has never even been played at Villa Park never mind been sang !.

The club cant just say "here is a record, we want you all to sing it" - cant people see that ?.

!

You're right in saying the club can't just give us a song and ask us to sing it. That approach is too forced.

I think for this to work, it would need a decent-sized group of fans to start singing it (e.g Brigada 1874). They'd have to keep persisting with it, and I think it would be a massive struggle at first, but it may eventually catch on.

It won't work if people sit in their seat at VP and grumpily dismiss it, thinking "this won't work". The more people that get involved, the more it will encourage others to sing along.

I'm sure the whole KOP never just stood there one Saturday and suddenly erupted into a rendition of "You'll never walk alone". I guess it was a very slow process whereby some of the fans started to sing it, others noticed and gradually started to sing along, and eventually it became their anthem.

FWIW, although 'Stand By Me' has nothing to do with Villa, I think it would be amazing if you had most of the ground singing along to it, flags and scarves raised. It would add an amazing atmosphere to VP. It won't work, though. We're Brummies. We're too miserable to get something like this going.

Thunderstruck

It could really be amazing :)

The problem with this is that it's not really a sing-a-long anthem. It would just be us shouting "VILLA" over some loud music.

Not only that, we've already got something similar(ish) at the moment.

VILLA clap clap clap Villa clap clap clap Villa.......

But if I COULD vote, I'd choose Stand By Me, for the following reasons:

Uplifting lyrics that are relevant to support

You can substitute "Darling" with "Villa"

Not too wordy

Simple melody

Has anthem qualities

And it's never been sung before....if the other established songs don't really have the impact that people are seeking, why not try something new?

Contrived? Yes. Worth a shot? Yeah.

This is my first Post on Villa Talk, so hope that I am not going off your theme too much - in the 1970's they used to play Neil Diamond's "Cracklin` Rosie" over the PA system (I still get a tingle when I hear it now). Any thoughts of getting that played at some time before the matches or "Beautiful Noise"? Great rousing songs by a great singer.

Â