Project Anthem [Poll Added To OP]

Shoody

Anthem Choice  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Anthem Choice

• The Bells are Ringing
    • Ghost Riders
    • Stand by Me

Just reading through this, and some of the suggestions make me cringe to be honest. For what it's worth, I'd like us to sing 'The Bells Are Ringing' more often, although this never seems to catch on with the 'Your Support is F****** Sh*t' brigade, as there's no swearing in it, and it's not about sha.

If we are looking to adopt a song that has not been sung before, then I'd go for 'Bring Me Sunshine' by Morcambe & Wise. I've often thought it'd be a brilliant song to sing down the football.

Bring me sunshine on matchday

Let the Villa win every game

In this ground that we love

There should be more happiness

Let us beat every team

another 3 points tomorrow

You've made me happy through the years

Always brought me many tears

Let your skills be as good as the God from up above

Bring me sunshine, bring me goals, bring me love.

I think it would really surprise villa players as well.

whichever tune wins, it needs the general to get it played before kick off on the tannoys (so some people just sing the original)

and for us (who know whatever the adaptation will be) [again will probably need another thread of lots of suggestions] will sing the Villa version.

therefore it sounds like everyone is singing it, whatever the lyrics.

it gets picked up.

we have an anthem.

I am really worried about this.

Stand By Me is romping ahead - why ?

The song has absolutely ZERO to do with Aston Villa Football Club in any way shape or form. In fact, I can't even think of anyone called Ben, or King that has played for us.

Oh yeah - Phil King.

Thats the only link this song has got to our club.

You can't just pluck a song out of nowhere and say "That is our new club song" just coz its a good song.

It just smacks of downright desperation. It's the same as small teams playing a song when they score - just utterly pathetic.

An anthem - is what it says it is - a song that becomes more than a song. A song that the listener takes to their heart.

Stand By Me - I'd guess at around 1969 - has this song EVER been sang at the Villa.

As I say truly worrying this result is. (by the way, one of my three favourite songs of all time is One by U2 (as well as Specials Do Nothing and Squeeze Up the Junction) and I didnt even vote for that !.

Bells or Ghostriders - anything else is so small time and contrived it will be embarrassing.

The only other one I can think of is New York New York and just rejig the Dwight Yorke bit

This thread needs help quickly !

I wouldn't worry, nothing will come of this vote or anything like it.

We've got our anthems. Nobody sings them (or sings them in their entirety). Thats the character of the club as it stands right now. I don't think our vocal fanbase is that terrible all things considered, and we don't need an arbitrary anthem to make it any better.

the lyrics or song don't have to have anything to do with villa. YNWA or Blowing bubbles or any other i can think of don't mention their teams. it just feel inspirational, right tempo and the lyrics aren't completely off track.

EXACTLY !!!

The Stoke fans STARTED to sing Deliliah

All fans, and later just self pitying bin dippers SANG YNWA

etc..

Point is - fans started to sing the songs - and they took over as an anthem.

Stand By Me has never even been played at Villa Park never mind been sang !.

The club cant just say "here is a record, we want you all to sing it" - cant people see that ?.

God , what next - Adam Ant "Stand and Deliver" has more meaning to the club than Ben E King (for those who are guessing, I'll say why at the end) - shall we have that as our anthem.

Really will be awful if this happens.

By the way, something a guy told me at the Villa on Saturday. Do you know when we walked out at Wembley in the 57 Cup Final our fans sang Keep Right On ! - apparently it was a Villa and Blues song up until that.

By the way - Adam Ant - No.1 the day we won the league !

Â