Signed: Darren Bent £18m rising to £24m with add on's

dudevillaisnice

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BBC Radio 5 live football correspondent Ian Dennis said he understood that the offer from Villa was put forward towards the end of last week.

"I understand it was cash up front which is an enormous show of faith by Randy Lerner in Gerard Houllier," he said.

Interesting..

Yes this is true we made the bid on Thursday.

Would you play him with Gabby, Heskey or on his own?

Would very it depending on opponents. Could see all three scenarios working well though i have concerns for Gabby, GH doesnt see to like sticking him upfront. Bringing in a new striker means hes less likely to play there.

I can't believe this. Please say this is a joke. !8m for Bent that's ludicrous he is abysmal. I don't think I've ever whatched a game he's played in when I haven't heard the phrase. oh dear Bent probably should have done better there at least 2 or 3 times.

He is a joke for that price. this is a disgrace and if it goes through that's it as far as I'm concerned for Houlier. He'll have blown our entire budget on a waste of space. Please Randy think very caraefully about this. he is not worth blowing that much cash. try the likes of Elmander or Jones. jees anything but this.

Anyone who rates this guy at that price should be locked up.

A goal every other game, the third highest scorer in the Premier League since 2005 behind Rooney and Drogba.

You obviously don't know a good striker when you see one, who would sign in instead?

I know a good footballer when I see one and it's not this useless tool. You on the other hand obviously make your decisions based on stats rather than ability. He might score the odd goal for us but with him in the team we'll be a worse football team and we'll lose more games. if he's worth £18m why hasn't any of the top 4 come in for him. Why was he a total flop at spurs?

Ah yes, 'stats'. Or in this case, 'facts'. Meaningless, agreed.

I "like" these stats-haters :)

They are denying real facts as they are only stats, but we are not talking about possession or throw-ins stats, we are talking here about GOALS SCORED :)

The counter attacking pace of Gabby and Bent will terrorise people i always wanted him to sign when MON was in charge think it will be a good partnership

However i do not believe we should sell Downing our inform wideman this season if we do sell him its always a case of one step forward one step back we need to add to the quality of our squad.

BBC Radio 5 live football correspondent Ian Dennis said he understood that the offer from Villa was put forward towards the end of last week.

"I understand it was cash up front which is an enormous show of faith by Randy Lerner in Gerard Houllier," he said.

Interesting..

Yes this is true we made the bid on Thursday.

Is also my understanding

Few years too late, and a fee that would make Benzema within our grasp (perhaps not wages) but my lord do we need a goal scorer and he is exactly that.

Great purchase if it goes through and I hope the club sorts it out as quickly as possible.

Skysports are reporting that we need to put in £20m plus for him, I guess that is the rising clause, still, they are doing a good job at encouraging the price up and talking bollocks about a 'new world order', tits.

Young is going to go for £50m, happy days.

The counter attacking pace of Gabby and Bent will terrorise people i always wanted him to sign when MON was in charge think it will be a good partnership

However i do not believe we should sell Downing our inform wideman this season if we do sell him its always a case of one step forward one step back we need to add to the quality of our squad.

Agreed, I dont want any of our first 11 regs to go

RTG does make me laugh As well as some so called safc supporters

9:19 AM Jan 9th via ÜberTwitter

Just a note: He reads the message boards of the clubs he goes to (RTG is ReadyToGo - Sunderland message boards) I dont think its at all a real reason but some Sunderland fans are suggesting his reasons for leaving are:

a) Gyan

B) Newcastle fans smashing his car in

c) Nobheads on Message boards

Disclaimer: I think its because we're going to win the league and he knows it.

This!

Charlie Adam knows too.

(Ian doesn't)

www.sportinglife.com

DARREN BENT HANDS IN TRANSFER REQUEST

Sunderland have confirmed Darren Bent has handed in a transfer request.

The 26-year-old striker has asked to leave the club he joined for an initial £10million during the summer of 2009 amid speculation t...hat Aston Villa have tabled an £18million bid.The Black Cats, who have not confirmed Bent's request, are believed not to have accepted it at this stage.Bent scored his 11th goal of the season in last weekend's 2-1 FA Cup third-round defeat by Notts County, but has managed just two in his last nine games and drew a blank in yesterday's 1-1 derby draw with Newcastle.He enjoyed a sensational first season on Wearside after ending his nightmare at Tottenham, and rewarded manager Steve Bruce with 25 goals.The former Ipswich and Charlton frontman missed out on a trip to last summer's World Cup finals in South Africa, the second time he had suffered the same disappointment, but scored his first senior international goal in a 3-1 Euro 2012 qualifier victory in Switzerland in September.Bruce invested a club-record fee in excess of £13million to recruit Ghana international Asamoah Gyan to play alongside Bent in August last year, but it appears he now faces a fight to keep the pair together.

*Darren Bent factfile:*

1984: Born February 6, in Cambridge.

2001: Makes professional debut for Ipswich, coming off the bench to feature against Helsingborg in the UEFA Cup on November 1. Scores first goal for Ipswich in a 4-1 League Cup defeat to Newcastle on November 27.

2002: Scores for the first time in the Premier League, grabbing the only goal of the game against Middlesbrough in April, but Ipswich are relegated after a 5-0 defeat to Liverpool at Anfield.

2003: Makes England Under-21 debut against Italy. Finishes the 2002-03 season with 18 goals in all competitions.

2005: Completes £2.5million transfer to Charlton in June. Marks Premier League debut for Charlton with two goals in a 3-1 win at Sunderland. Named in 25-man England squad for World Cup qualifying matches against Wales and Northern Ireland.

2006: Makes England debut in friendly against Uruguay at Anfield in March, but is later omitted from Sven-Goran Eriksson's World Cup squad despite being the highest scoring Englishman in the Premier League. Signs a four-year contract extension at Charlton.

2007: Ends the 2006-07 season with 14 Premier League goals for Charlton despite the club being relegated. Turns down a £17million move to West Ham in June, and instead joins Tottenham for £16.5million later in the month.

November 21 - Comes on as a substitute in England's 3-2 World Cup qualifying defeat to Croatia at Wembley.

2008: March 9 - Scores his 100th career goal in Tottenham's league win against West Ham.

March - Called up to the England squad for World Cup Qualifier against Ukraine.

November 6 - Scores hat-trick for Tottenham against Dinamo Zagreb in the UEFA Cup.

November 19 - Makes first appearance for England in a year as a second-half substitute in a 2-1 friendly win against Germany.

2009: January 18 - Misses an open goal in a match against Portsmouth, prompting Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp to claim: "Michael Owen, come to think of it, Michael Jackson, could have scored that one."

May - Finishes the season with 17 goals in all competitions.

August 5 - Completes a £10million move to Sunderland.

October 17 - Scores infamous 'beachball' goal to beat Liverpool - his eighth strike of the season.

2010: March 10 - Hits hat-trick in Sunderland's 4-0 win against Bolton.

May - Ends the season with 25 goals for Sunderland.

June 1 - Misses out on selection for England's World Cup squad, despite being in the provisional 30-man party.

September 7 - Scores his first goal for England in a 3-1 Euro 2012 win over Switzerland.

2011: January 17 - Hands in a transfer request at Sunderland.

Very good signing. Just what we need. The show of ambition will speak volumes and might lift spirit in the dressing room. Look what January meant to Spurs a few years ago.

Football is all about momentum and this is a very positive move by Villa. Adams are going to see this and think even harder about his move. And how will this affect Ashley?

so which one of Ashley Young or Stewart Downing will be funding this purchase :cry:

James Milner says hello.

Craig Gardner, Steve Sidwell and Nicky Shorey give a wave too

I'm sure there's still some Dwight Yorke money left in the kitty aswell?