415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Houllier has an impressive record and was by far one of the best people we could've gotten.

That is just your opinion and not one shared by many people at the time we appointed him.

I'm not getting into the whole 'who else could we have got' as its both off topic and ultimately totally pointless but you cannot say appointing Houllier was a good decision even at the time.

Houllier is out of touch with premier league football, he's out of touch with the fans and he doesn't understand the club.

For me, it wasn't a good appointment. I wasn't remotely excited about it and I imagine the players felt it was a backward step as well.

As for waiting all the way through January if he can't get a bunch of players to fight after months of trying I don't see how his magic wand is going to change that.

Houllier out - zero confidence in him!

Houllier has an impressive record and was by far one of the best people we could've gotten.

That is just your opinion and not one shared by many people at the time we appointed him.

I'm not getting into the whole 'who else could we have got' as its both off topic and ultimately totally pointless but you cannot say appointing Houllier was a good decision even at the time.

That is just your opinion and not one shared by many people.

I'm a firm believer that Houllier would have been a good appointment should we have been in a stable position i.e. Milner not leaving, not losing at Wembley twice, best manager for years just walking out on us etc.
He would not be here if any of those things had not happened!

That is just your opinion and not one shared by many people.

First, I've never said anything I post is anything other than my opinion. Second, if you think not many people share my view in relation to the appointment of Houllier then I would beg to differ.

Blaming the board? Christ you lot are ungrateful. Who the flipping hell would you have appointed?

What should we be grateful for at the moment.

Through decisions they've made over the last 6 months they've managed to put us where we were when they took over. I don't really care that we have a pub when I have to watch the current shit being delivered

Board's fault for not having powers to predict the FEWWWWTCHAAAAA
Well ,imho Stevie Wonder could see that GH was the wrong man for the job.we needed someone that could get more out of this team .GH has come in and turned the club up side down ,trying to change our players style of play and outlook to quick..

I'm a firm believer that Houllier would have been a good appointment should we have been in a stable position i.e. Milner not leaving, not losing at Wembley twice, best manager for years just walking out on us etc.
He would not be here if any of those things had not happened!

Well currently, yes that is true, but MON was not going to be here forever

It's just my opinion? Never knew that mate! :lol:

Appointing Houllier was IMO a good decision at the time, and the large majority of people here thought so too (at the time).

Well ,imho Stevie Wonder could see that GH was the wrong man for the job.we needed someone that could get more out of this team .GH has come in and turned the club up side down ,trying to change our players style of play and outlook to quick..

Balls. A man with a proven Premier League record who has worked with players of the highest quality both domestically and internationally. Has won things in the Premier League and guided Liverpool to their (equal) highest league finish in the last twenty years.

I never heard any huge criticism of the appointment at the time, there were a few concerns, but to say a blind man could have seen it was the wrong appointment is ridiculous. He was the best available and still hasn't had a transfer window.

Balls. A man with a proven Premier League record who has worked with players of the highest quality both domestically and internationally. Has won things in the Premier League and guided Liverpool to their (equal) highest league finish in the last twenty years.

I never heard any huge criticism of the appointment at the time, there were a few concerns, but to say a blind man could have seen it was the wrong appointment is ridiculous. He was the best available and still hasn't had a transfer window.

well ,i for one never wanted him right from the start .thats not to say i know everything about football because i dont ,at liverpool GH did well enough for the money he spent at Lyon i'll go bact to Stevie Wonder because he could have managed that team..GH is showing us now why he shouldn't have been given the job .he's to old and doesn't have the hunger for football and he just doesn't have the passion for this club or it's fans ,atleast at plop he had all of that..

In response to the above that Houllier is out of touch with the Premier League - I think that is the main problem, in that - he is not !

The premier league has, over the past few years become much more continental, on and off the field.

Apart from Man C- gone are the days of paying millions - sa clubs cannot afford it. We / and others need to go the way Arsenal and Barcelona have done for the psat 10 yrs - and that is what Houllier is attempting to do.

NOW - the problem for me, is, if we are talking just about Houllier - he has attempted to do far too much too soon - and we are in turmoil.

I kept saying it to the general - "You can't turn Richard Dunne into Bobby Moore !"

Houlliers issue is that he has come in, said "It's my way - and try and question me, and you are out" to players that just can't do it his way.

He has alienated a lot of the squad, and the ones he hasn't, aren't experienced enough to do sod all about it.

For all I hated MON, that was one thing he did well when he came in. He saw what we had in a squad that was nearly relegated, and he got them playing in a way that made us safe until he could start bringing in his own players.

I blame a lot of this mess on the board - but Houllier has done some bloody stupid things, and it could be very very costly !

I thought it was a good appointment at the time - a man with a fantastic record and on paper the most qualified manager we've ever employed. It's getting that off paper and onto the pitch that just hasn't quite worked out.

I think if Kevin MacDonald has been brought into the first team coaching set up then that's a good decision by the manager - he'll have seen that training has been difficult and looking around his staff he can't fail to have noticed that arguably the clubs best coach hasn't had much to do for the best part of a month with no reserve games on - bringing him in to support his coaching team during what's been reported as a very difficult period is surely a sign of good management?

Forgot to say

I also think, if we get through this season still in the Premier League, in 3 years time we will be in a healthier state than we were under MON - ie: in the top 6, but with some silverware, and a young squad with a better scouting network.

The major major major problem for me is - I don't think we will be in the Premier next year !

Hindsight's a wonderful thing isn't it hey! Right now Houllier's appointment is looking awful. Turned a top 6 team into relegation candidates with a third of a season in charge. Yet when we got him i actually thought he was the best available at that time.

I will say this. If Randy, and the rest of the people running the club, knew of the player power and the troublemaking going on behind the scenes before they made their appointment, then maybe they went for Houllier because of his reputation of setting strict guidelines to follow. Maybe they knew he would introduce stricter rules such as moving local to the club, more training sessions, a more intense fitness regime etc. If so, surely they are as much to blame as Houllier for our decline this season? Did they really think that the same bunch of players would be happy with the drastic changes? I mean come on, who is going to be happy with that when they had it so comfortable before? Can you imagine going to Stephen Ireland and saying "look Stevie son. I know you have a multi-million pounds purpose built mansion in the Manchester area but I need you to stop living there and move closer to the club. Bodymoor Heath is close to the Sutton area so we could try to fix you up with a nice little property developer for you to try to replicate your mansion in the Four Oaks or Little Aston area!"

It's ok changing things around but surely it is best to do it gradually, not drop a huge H-bomb on the club and get us relegated a result of it!

At the time we had to choose from K.Mac, Curbishley & Sven? Jol was the man everyone seemed to want or David Moyes,both were not available although Jol is now!

I guess the board thought he was the most experienced and best man for the job, it has not worked out upto now, the next 2 weeks will determine wether he stays which he is likley to imo.

If the board stick by him and it goes wrong ie;relegation then they will suffer the consequences big time even worse than us supporters, If he goes then the signing of players in this window will be very difficult we have to remember that.

If it has gotten to the stage where we are relying on Kevin Macdonald to come in to the first team set up and do what Houllier and Gary Mac are increasingly failing to do - get any kind of performance out of a good group of players - then that tells me that we no longer need Houllier or his assistant.

Is this even confirmed that MacDonald is now part of the first team coaching staff? If he is I expect he'll be on the bench tomorrow hopefully looking a little more interested than the manager.

Â