415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive said sack him - almost since day 1 - and I still want a new bloke in charge for next season.

Delighted to be proved wrong - if we start touching the top 6. But until then he's under delivering considering past performance of same squad.

:?

So, if we do well for the last third of the season and finish mid table (but don't start 'touching the top 6', you would sack him in the summer? Even if the first half of the season was very poor (and the mitigating circumstances are well documented and understandable), you would sack him - just as things were 'looking up'? "Cutting nose off to spite face" springs to mind!

Hypothetically Yes - I don't beleive he is the right man for us. The managers position is Key - if it isn't right success will only be relative. I don't beleive Randy has the millions to keep propping up GH'S regime whenever he hits a sticky patch.

The mood on this thread has changed immensely in the past 27 days.

Yes it has. I don't think I've known such tide turning. Bent was a masterstroke on Houllier's part and the onus is on him now to take advantage of the sudden upturn.

Saturday will count for a whole lot less if we don't come away with a positive performance and the right result tonight.

Tonight we need a win, without a doubt. Anything less and I think people will start to worry again and quite rightly. We can't go and beat Man City and then lose to the next team.

More so when the next team is an immediate relegation rival.

Tonight we need a win, without a doubt. Anything less and I think people will start to worry again and quite rightly. We can't go and beat Man City and then lose to the next team.

Are we still using that R word on here?

Well, the table shows they are (in a relegation battle) until we get to the 40 point target I guess it is still going to be used. It is a shame GH wasn't able to spend this money in the previous summer.

I am while we're down there, yes.

Bent was a masterstroke on Houllier's part and the onus is on him now to take advantage of the sudden upturn.

Not really convinced its a masterstroke as such, we've heard from the official gossip monger that Randy wanted a marque signing, Bent had clearly put word out via his agent that he wanted out at Sunderland, it was all down to who was desperate enough to pay Sunderland sufficient money to get him and remunerate Bent accordingly. Because of Randy that would appear to have been us. Yes Houllier may have said that he wanted him when his availability was known but the masterstroke was Randy releasing the funds rather than Houllier pulling off some huge transfer coup

Not really convinced its a masterstroke as such, we've heard from the official gossip monger that Randy wanted a marque signing, Bent had clearly put word out via his agent that he wanted out at Sunderland, it was all down to who was desperate enough to pay Sunderland sufficient money to get him and remunerate Bent accordingly. Because of Randy that would appear to have been us. Yes Houllier may have said that he wanted him when his availability was known but the masterstroke was Randy releasing the funds rather than Houllier pulling off some huge transfer coup

Thats as maybe, but if Houllier can use it to continue on from what has been the best week of his tenure to date, it could well be the making of his time at the club and the start of good things in our season. Sometimes the direction a club or an appointment goes in can be influenced by something as subtle as the mood of the fans. And we seem pretty chuffed (relatively speaking) at the moment. Though all that could change at the DW this evening ...

Bent was a masterstroke on Houllier's part and the onus is on him now to take advantage of the sudden upturn.

2+2+2+2+2+2= :?

I originally put down to sack him at the start of the window. As it no longer seems a viable or likely outcome I will swing straight into the back him camp. He is after all managing my club so if he is staying, which looks likely, then I will give him my absolute backing until the end of the season. I will revue my opinion again then.

For the record I actually quite like the bloke. Well spoken, educated with a decent sense of humour is how he comes across to me.

It's evident how Houllier has attempted to change our footballing philosophy, if you will. Unfortunately, that really doesn't play to our strengths - especially pre-Bent with a striker with little to no intelligent movement required to finish off one or maybe two clear cut chances a game.

Perhaps we will start to see a change for the better with Houllier's new additions.

Personally, I've started to look up at where we could be if we win, rather than what could happen should we lose. I guess that's a massive improvement in confidence.

But yes, relegation is still a possibility. It would take some absolutely horrific management and/or another bout of serious medium/long term injuries, but no club is too big or squad too good for it.

If we take the season as starting today we should under any normal set of circumstances be far superior to those around us.

Â