Houllier: Back him or sack him?

Stu_The_Villan

Houlier - back him or sack him?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

What is it, 4 wins in 17 games? Something like that.

I still consider him extremely fortunate to still be in the job given his record, some of his conduct and some of the things he has said.

He has had a good January in terms of the transfer window, no question.

I'm not though going to change my view on him on that alone its going to take a lot better results over a prolonged period of time to do that.

So, stepping into Randy's shoes for a day - would you sack him or continue to back him?

A bit of a daft question if you don't mind me saying.

I mean when? Today? No obviously not there are some signs of improvement.

That said, its one win. Its his 4th win in 17 games or something like that, I think is obvious that he must improve and do so significantly which is the point I was making.

Bit of a radical statement n all but I reckon he might be ever so slightly aware of this.........

I'm not sure I really get your point.

My initial point was that I remain unconvinced by Houllier due to his record.

I'm not trying to inform Houllier what his record is which you seem to be suggesting. I'm stating my view on him as our manager at this moment in time which is the point of the thread.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get this seaon out of the way then take stock in the summer.

In fairness you cant say its his fault with our injury crisis, not having a preseason with his players and not getting his own players in. He is shaping the team into his mould now with players he wants in and there is a definate improvement. Also shipping out the deadwood and bad apples.

In all honesty, now he has players available he is doing well.

2 draws and a win against Utd, Chelsea and City aint bad i suppose.

Yet some truly awful performances as well mixed in.

I'm glad Randy could see that it was not all Houlliers fault and given him time.

I'm glad Randy could see that it was not all Houlliers fault and given him time.

Very true Jez, there is no possible way you could lump all of our slump on GH shoulders.

Or is it just coincidence that our injured players return to the squad and become available, and our form improves?

I can't speak for others but I've never blamed him for all our issues, far from it in fact.

Indeed, some issues were his others not.

Was always worth giving him a go when some players back and some of his own in, Randy seems to agree.

If we continue to improve it was worth the gamble.

Or is it just coincidence that our injured players return to the squad and become available, and our form improves?

which ones in particular do you think?

Midfielders, i know he's not everyones cup of tea but when Petrov was out we looked lost.

I really dont think some realise how important he is to our team, he's a massive loss when he's out.

Still don't like him but at least he seems to have realized our defenders can be brilliant when he lets them defend properly (ie fall back and have the midfielders support in a line front of them) instead of trying to win the possession competition with his high line shit. Who cares if City had 70% possession, I'd rather have the 3 points thanks.

Now if he manages to figure out his set piece set up is shit and do something about that too it would be swell. I think Bent needs a striker partner as well to get the best out of him but we'll see.

Bent does well as a lone striker...

When? I think his best football was played when Kenwyne Jones was up there doing the donkey work for him, holding the ball and running the channels so Bent could just concentrate on the one thing he's good at.

What is it, 4 wins in 17 games? Something like that.

I still consider him extremely fortunate to still be in the job given his record, some of his conduct and some of the things he has said.

He has had a good January in terms of the transfer window, no question.

I'm not though going to change my view on him on that alone its going to take a lot better results over a prolonged period of time to do that.

So, stepping into Randy's shoes for a day - would you sack him or continue to back him?

A bit of a daft question if you don't mind me saying.

I mean when? Today? No obviously not there are some signs of improvement.

That said, its one win. Its his 4th win in 17 games or something like that, I think is obvious that he must improve and do so significantly which is the point I was making.

That was kind of what prompted my question. You have been pretty vocal about wanting GH sacked, and you said that you're not going to change your mind about him based on a good transfer window and a couple of decent results - but if given the power to pull the trigger you are saying you wouldn't - which suggests to me that you have softened your stance on him a smidge.

I wasn't trying to be snide or anything though - was genuinely interested in where you current stance lies.

This is kind of why I was asking if the poll could be re-done now - what the percentages might be. Seems to be many have softened their stance a bit now we can see that he actually seems to have a bit of a plan in his head about where this is all going.

Ever since I've started wanting him sacked he's been playing a blinder:

* Positive in the transfer market.

* Improvement in team performance and by the looks of things morale.

* Significantly better dealings with the press.

So in order to keep this run of form continuing: I still want him sacked.

:)

Right behind the oui scamp.

Just caught a little snippet of him talking about Bent coming in, how the squad is so much more together since the turn of the year, how he was just absorbed into the squad with relative ease. It's showing on the pitch too. Results are slowly turning, performances have been about as good as we could expect for a squad that looked so disinterested only a month ago. Tactically we seem much more rounded and Houllier himself, well, he looks like more of a club man to me now. He seems more settled, like he's finaly breathing with us.

Maybe he feels more comfortable now he's putting his stamp on things. I remember watching his conference after the Sunderland game, he looked like a beaten man. I felt sorry for him, because it was a performance that deserved something. But he's back smiling again today and he's earned it. I'm glad we didn't sack him, I'm glad I was wrong. And I'm glad we have Randy Lerner running the club, not some yes man who falls to his knees at the moans of us fans who really should know better.

And more than anything, I love the way he's sticking up to Holloway. Maybe Holloway thought he would be a soft touch, well get **** you **** swamp donkey. Wreched little two bob ponce.

Gerard is our guy....

Â