The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

Apparently my new paymasters have seemingly (and to my mind, erroneously) deemed me important enough to warrant a business phone in the form of an iPhone "5c".

I am not exaggerating when I say I've never so much as touched a smartphone in my life (I yearn for simpler times when the most coveted feature of a mobile was being able to slide open like what they use in them there Matrix films).  Is this a good or bad thing?

They're ok.

I have one for work too.

If you're coming from never touching a smart phone, to a 5C, then you're probably going to think it's unbelievable.

It's decent. 

But there's no way I'd have one if my company didn't buy it for me. For the money, there's a tonne of better alternatives out there.

But for a free phone you'll enjoy it.

• Like 3

"You're putting it in your pocket wrong"

-Dead Steve Jobs

I expected someone to point out that Apple had copied Samsung

S4 Screen cracked in front jeans pocket! Galaxy S4 is very weak!

or Sony

Sony might be getting into the business of bendable smartphones before Samsung or LG, it seems, as a bunch of users are reporting that the metal frame of the flagship Xperia Z1 handset has allegedly bent for no reason, leaving their phone in the state that can be observed in the pictures below. The circumstances vary, but some common theme seems to be heat..

or HTC or Nokia or other manufacturers.

It's not great to sit on your phone with your fat arse and it break. Same as with specs, sunnies and other stuff.

Non story.

• Like 1

"You're putting it in your pocket wrong"

-Dead Steve Jobs

I expected someone to point out that Apple had copied Samsung

S4 Screen cracked in front jeans pocket! Galaxy S4 is very weak!

or Sony

Sony might be getting into the business of bendable smartphones before Samsung or LG, it seems, as a bunch of users are reporting that the metal frame of the flagship Xperia Z1 handset has allegedly bent for no reason, leaving their phone in the state that can be observed in the pictures below. The circumstances vary, but some common theme seems to be heat..

or HTC or Nokia or other manufacturers.

It's not great to sit on your phone with your fat arse and it break. Same as with specs, sunnies and other stuff.

Non story.

This.

Only a couple of actual issues and blown out of all proportion by the media.

They have to have it both ways.

They love the media jerking themselves off when they bring out their new phone with brand new wotsits and Thingamajigs.

So they need to expect the attention when something goes wrong.

• Like 1

Still got a 4S and... i like the chunkyness of it. Feels bullet proof.

Haven't upgraded to ios8 yet, not sure if it will compromise the performance of it and slow it up. 

As I understand it, it's quite easy to bend the iPhone 6+. I've had loads of phones in situations where I was sure they should snap in half. But it seems other manufacturers design their products to be able to withstand these kind of situations. Apple aren't very good at functional design shown by other problems such as antennagate.

Haven't upgraded to ios8 yet, not sure if it will compromise the performance of it and slow it up. 

She who shall not be named has a 5 and says it's noticeably slower since she upgraded to 8.

As I understand it, it's quite easy to bend the iPhone 6+. I've had loads of phones in situations where I was sure they should snap in half. But it seems other manufacturers design their products to be able to withstand these kind of situations. Apple aren't very good at functional design shown by other problems such as antennagate.

I’ve managed to bend 2 android samsung phones and had numerous iPhones that have never bent.

Perhaps people want it made out of diamond so never bends.

I’ve managed to bend 2 android samsung phones and had numerous iPhones that have never bent.

2?! What do you do with them?

2?! What do you do with them?

Put them in my pocket and sit down.

probably don't is my advice, at least not yet. Maybe wait because new releases need bugs fixed and stuff. My iPad is less responsive slightly, since updating. I guess they'll fix the glitches in a bit

Since this affects machines running bash as the shell I'll post this here. Pretty serious so patch your Macs as soon as you can

A bug discovered in the widely used Bash command interpreter poses a critical security risk to Unix and Linux systems – and, thanks to their ubiquity, the wider internet.

It lands countless websites, servers, PCs, OS X Macs, various home routers, and more, in danger of hijacking by hackers.

The vulnerability is present in Bash up to and including version 4.3, and was discovered by Stephane Chazelas. It puts Apache web servers, in particular, at risk of compromise via CGI scripts that use or invoke Bash in any way – including any child processes spawned by the scripts. OpenSSH and some DHCP clients are also affected on machines that use Bash.

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 1

Since this affects machines running bash as the shell I'll post this here. Pretty serious so patch your Macs as soon as you can

A bug discovered in the widely used Bash command interpreter poses a critical security risk to Unix and Linux systems – and, thanks to their ubiquity, the wider internet.

It lands countless websites, servers, PCs, OS X Macs, various home routers, and more, in danger of hijacking by hackers.

The vulnerability is present in Bash up to and including version 4.3, and was discovered by Stephane Chazelas. It puts Apache web servers, in particular, at risk of compromise via CGI scripts that use or invoke Bash in any way – including any child processes spawned by the scripts. OpenSSH and some DHCP clients are also affected on machines that use Bash.

There is no patch from Apple.

Haven't noticed any difference on my iPhone 5s since installing iOS8, other than the fact than in doing so I can now access 4G as I said before, which is utterly brilliant.  I've decided I'm going to get the 5.5" iPhone 6 as well.  I do a lot of travelling, so the bigger screen and better battery will be better for watching/reading stuff on the move.

Â