The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

I'd love to contribute to this thread as I have some useful information for the discussion, but I can't.

Cheers for such an incredibly useful post. :D

I just had the same dilemma, although I do a lot of media work outside of Uni. I opted to go for a Pro, it isn't much heavier than the Air to be honest and the screen is absolutely beautiful. Student discount brings the price down a bit too ;)

How much of a discount did you get? I've had a look and it says 'up to' £175.

13% I think it is

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sam, what are your thoughts on the pro (after using it for a while), I am tempted by an Air...

It does everything I need it to and the battery life is fantastic. I've found that the weight is a lot lighter than my old Macbook and in a structured backpack I don't think the Air would gave made a substantial difference on that front.

The screen is the selling point over the Air IMO though, I mean I probably could have done a lot of stuff on the Air that I planned to do on my MBP but the screen is just incredible. Haven't touched my desktop in a while apart from grabbing files, so I think this will become my main machine after I buy a UHD monitor.

Sorry for the late reply by the way!

Edited by samjp26

Not sure which to go for, my current laptop (even though it is only two years old) is so heavy and a pain to carry. What is it like to transport the pro about? I like the idea of the air being thin and lighter than what I have.

I think the rest of it sells itself to me, although I do worry about moving from windows to OS...

What is data transfer like? Can I hook my external HD up easily?

Cheers for getting back to me :)

• 2 weeks later...

Once again I've not seen this post, sorry mate!

Portability is fine, as I say if you invest in a decent backpack you'll have no worries at all. It is no way near as heavy as a regular 15 inch laptop.

IMO, moving away from Windows isn't something that you should be scared of, just embrace it! Whether it be to Linux or to OSX, Windows is so far behind in terms of usability I find it remarkable that is still such a force.

Data transfer = Thunderbolt or USB 3.0, I use USB 3.0 storage and I get really fast speeds for reading and writing (plus the Macbook Pro uses flash memory rather than a traditional hard disk). 

No problem as always my man!

Once again I've not seen this post, sorry mate!

Portability is fine, as I say if you invest in a decent backpack you'll have no worries at all. It is no way near as heavy as a regular 15 inch laptop.

IMO, moving away from Windows isn't something that you should be scared of, just embrace it! Whether it be to Linux or to OSX, Windows is so far behind in terms of usability I find it remarkable that is still such a force.

Data transfer = Thunderbolt or USB 3.0, I use USB 3.0 storage and I get really fast speeds for reading and writing (plus the Macbook Pro uses flash memory rather than a traditional hard disk). 

No problem as always my man!

If it's a choice between a MBP or an air I assume he'd be looking at the 13" model? If so, it's very light and the advantages it has over an air (particularly the retina screen) mean that you're better off spending a bit more on the MBP.

• Like 1

Calling Windows behind the curve in terms of usability, in the same sentence as migrating to Linux is laughable.

Limpid, I know this is an Apple thread - but I want to explain why I am changing. I will not mention Windows again.

My current laptop: crashes, is heavy, slow, and Windows 8 is kind-of frustrating.

Everything Macbook points to me having a much better experience.

Calling Windows behind the curve in terms of usability, in the same sentence as migrating to Linux is laughable.

I have a mac desktop with mavericks and Yosemite beta on different partitions and a cheap laptop which came with windows 8, onto which I then put Ubuntu. Windows is an abomination, the various Linux dists I've tried have been decent, given they're free and Mac OS is by a mile the most easy to use with the best interface, but you pay for that via the hardware ( which is lovely, but costly). I'm not overly keen on the way iTunes 12 has gone. It's less flexible than 11 which was less flexible than 10. They've gone more iPad with it.
  • Like 2

I have a mac desktop with mavericks and Yosemite beta on different partitions and a cheap laptop which came with windows 8, onto which I then put Ubuntu. Windows is an abomination, the various Linux dists I've tried have been decent, given they're free and Mac OS is by a mile the most easy to use with the best interface, but you pay for that via the hardware ( which is lovely, but costly). I'm not overly keen on the way iTunes 12 has gone. It's less flexible than 11 which was less flexible than 10. They've gone more iPad with it.

Windows 8 is beyond horrible, it's absolutely wretched.  Macs and the various operating systems aren't as perfect as people have you believe, but they're the best of a bad lot, by a long way.

• Like 1

Got my 5C for work.

To be honest I've barely used it apart from the odd work phone call.

Having a Nexus 5 as my personal phone means there's really no reason to use the 5C.

What I would say is the sound quality of the other person's voice when making a call is superb. I didn't even think of that being a thing, but it's crystal clear on the 5C, as if they're sat next to you rather than on the other end of the phone.

I'm also a huge fan of the earphones that came with the phone. Very nice for a boxed pair of earphones.

To be honest those are the only good points of note so far, but like I said I've not used it a huge amount.

Â