The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

Since this affects machines running bash as the shell I'll post this here. Pretty serious so patch your Macs as soon as you can

A bug discovered in the widely used Bash command interpreter poses a critical security risk to Unix and Linux systems – and, thanks to their ubiquity, the wider internet.

It lands countless websites, servers, PCs, OS X Macs, various home routers, and more, in danger of hijacking by hackers.

The vulnerability is present in Bash up to and including version 4.3, and was discovered by Stephane Chazelas. It puts Apache web servers, in particular, at risk of compromise via CGI scripts that use or invoke Bash in any way – including any child processes spawned by the scripts. OpenSSH and some DHCP clients are also affected on machines that use Bash.

There is no patch from Apple.

Naturally I meant "when" there is one.

Haven't noticed any difference on my iPhone 5s since installing iOS8, other than the fact than in doing so I can now access 4G as I said before, which is utterly brilliant.  I've decided I'm going to get the 5.5" iPhone 6 as well.  I do a lot of travelling, so the bigger screen and better battery will be better for watching/reading stuff on the move.

My 5S seems to have weaker wi-fi now.

I don't think much of iOS8 at the mo' it slowed my iPad and the phone is less easily connected to the computer with wi-fi. Wish I'd left it a bit, now.

Haven't noticed any difference on my iPhone 5s since installing iOS8, other than the fact than in doing so I can now access 4G as I said before, which is utterly brilliant. I've decided I'm going to get the 5.5" iPhone 6 as well. I do a lot of travelling, so the bigger screen and better battery will be better for watching/reading stuff on the move.

A few people I know who have one are already moaning about the battery.

Since this affects machines running bash as the shell I'll post this here. Pretty serious so patch your Macs as soon as you can

A bug discovered in the widely used Bash command interpreter poses a critical security risk to Unix and Linux systems – and, thanks to their ubiquity, the wider internet.

It lands countless websites, servers, PCs, OS X Macs, various home routers, and more, in danger of hijacking by hackers.

The vulnerability is present in Bash up to and including version 4.3, and was discovered by Stephane Chazelas. It puts Apache web servers, in particular, at risk of compromise via CGI scripts that use or invoke Bash in any way – including any child processes spawned by the scripts. OpenSSH and some DHCP clients are also affected on machines that use Bash.

There is no patch from Apple.

Naturally I meant "when" there is one.

With Mac OS X, systems are according to Apple, safe by default and not exposed to remote exploits of bash unless users configure their Mac to use the Xcode programming environment, when there is a susceptibility.

As with Linux etc. then it can be fixed via instructions [not quoted because it's a mahoosive stream of techy gobbledegook]

I guess a software update will come out anyway to remove the susceptible version of bash from Mavericks and before, for the Xcode users.

edit - You can get the MavericksMountain Lion, and Lion versions of the patch manually from Apple's software downloads site.

So Apple have a blacklist of people / media / sites who aren't allowed to come to Apple events, or get review units etc. Basically shunned. http://www.cultofmac.com/255618/how-apples-blacklist-manipulates-the-press/

And they have a whitelist where you get rewards for being especially nice to them. Give them a good review and you get nice stuff earlier than anyone else.

The iPhone 6+ has been reported in many places to be a bit too easy to bend, where other comparable handsets aren't:

There are a few web sites who just refuse to accept it's a problem such as The Verge

Good job they don't say anything against Apple otherwise they'd find themselves on the blacklist. Like computerbild.de..

Computerbild, a German tech magazine, tested out bending the ip6+ themselves and published the results online

So Apple have put them on the blacklist. They're no longer allowed to any Apple events and don't get review units or information from Apple. Computerbild have emailed Tim Cook asking for an explanation

This is a lesson to any tech media organisation who dares to go against Apple. Do what the Verge do. Toe the line and you get the Apple faithful continuing to read stuff on your web site.

Apple really give me the creeps. Although it's not like they have form over stuff like this...

It's an open secret that tech journalism (and games journalism) works this way.  The Verge is hugely pro Apple because Apple drive most of their traffic. 

They have taken to having a Wirecutter style single product recommendation series. Their best tablet is the iPad (which is probably true) and their previous best phone was the iPhone 5s. The new one is the iPhone 6.  It's worth clicking though that video to watch it on YouTube so you can see the ratings and the comments.   The golden rule when following tech news is take everything everybody says with a large pinch of salt. 

I'm at work so can't hear the video, but judging by the comments, did they really say the iPhone 6 is cheaper than a Nexus?

He said the Nexus was "more expensive up front" which is technically true in one sole circumstance where you buy the phone outright and then go SIM only. Its a very very disingenuous way of reporting it, given the iphone 6 is what twice the price up front of the N5. 

But surely if you buy an iphone outright and go sim only it would be more expensive up front?

We're straying off topic here, but that seems like comparing apples with pears to me.

But surely if you buy an iphone outright and go sim only it would be more expensive up front?

We're straying off topic here, but that seems like comparing apples with pears to me.

They are yes. Thats the point. The Verge have clearly taken business decision that its better to be Apple's informal PR house than to be objective. 

• Like 2

The Verge and its opinions are as reliable and impartial as the North Korean evening news.

I like Engadget, about the ONLY big tech website left with an ounce of credibility.

TechRadar are just as bad as The Verge but TR's reviews are much more fair.

Marques Brownlee is very good, a really nice chap who knows his stuff. He is about the most balanced and impartial I have seen.

• Like 3

He is definitely but i always find him to be very fair and at least he acknowledges androids and each android devices very real shortcomings, proper unbiased drawbacks too. Where as in a transparent attempt to appear 'unbiased', TR & Verge choose neglible, unimportant 'weaknesses' of apple devices.

What I hate is when they criticise android devices for things that get s free pass on Cupertino branded devices.

His video on beats headphones was very refreshing but for a fairly well known 'tech celebrity' was quite risky, but he still did it.

Plus he is quite cool, I kind of want to be him :P

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Very annoyingly, the ios 8 update means that I now can't play music in the car when connected via a USB lead.  Common problem apparently.  ****ing Apple, I take it all back.

Very annoyingly, the ios 8 update means that I now can't play music in the car when connected via a USB lead.  Common problem apparently.  ****ing Apple, I take it all back.

iOS 8 is bobbins. I managed to return my iPad to iOS7 before the certification was withdrawn, but didn't do the same for my phone. it now won't sync wirelesly with the computer.

I can't believe the software quality control is/was so lax. The odd bug isn't unexpected, but to release software that's full of bugs and glitches that completely stop stuff working is unbelievably crap for a company, particularly one that trades on "it just works" and the like.

I don't think I'm going to update any more computers or iPod/pads again. Just leave 'em in a state where they work.

That said, my phone works fine on the usb lead to the car radio.

Basically, how many updates to any software are actually worthwhile anyway, on any device. Nowadays most gadgets do the stuff they were made to do, and playing with the software just changes things that mostly don't need changing.

Surely blandy the point of updating software is to give the device a new lease of life. To improve its applications without the expense of upgrading the hardware.

However, as you say, what's the **** point if you end up bricking the device. I've really gone off apple this last month or so.

• Like 1

Agree with you both.  However, I had to upgrade mine, as for some reason the IOM 4G wouldn't work without it.  (Despite the 4G working perfectly fine in New York nearly two years ago).  I can play music over Bluetooth, but that's a lot crapper than via USB, as you have to mess around with the phone before you set off.

And Pete's right, the "it just works" nature of Apple products seems to have tailed off alarmingly.  Far too many illogical things on them that are a pain in the arse.

• Like 1

Â