The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

Just got a new iMac (old one was approaching its ninth birthday and the operating system was dead wood) - lots to get used to and I'm trying to figure out the transfer process to move stuff from the old one to the new one - anyone done this before that might have any advice?

Also, since apple decided that disks were dead, the new iMac doesn't come with a drive, but, I'm told I can use my old mac as a sort of virtual substitute - anyone done that before?

Oh, and here's a sad tale - about 18 months ago I had FM2013 given to me as a gift - it refused to run on the old mac because of the age of the operating system - I figured, new mac, I can wipe the dust off it and give it a go -but of course, it's a disc, which means I can't run it! I'm guessing the people at apple aren't much for football simulations!

Just got a new iMac (old one was approaching its ninth birthday and the operating system was dead wood) - lots to get used to and I'm trying to figure out the transfer process to move stuff from the old one to the new one - anyone done this before that might have any advice?

Also, since apple decided that disks were dead, the new iMac doesn't come with a drive, but, I'm told I can use my old mac as a sort of virtual substitute - anyone done that before?

Oh, and here's a sad tale - about 18 months ago I had FM2013 given to me as a gift - it refused to run on the old mac because of the age of the operating system - I figured, new mac, I can wipe the dust off it and give it a go -but of course, it's a disc, which means I can't run it! I'm guessing the people at apple aren't much for football simulations!

OBE, you should be able to transfer from one mac to the other really easily with an ethernet cable (or wirelessly, but it's slower).when you start the new one for the first time it will ask if you want to transfer files from another mac - just follow the prompts

or open migration assistant and ditto.

or 

You could either just enable sharing, on the old one and do it at your leisure

or start up the old mac in Target Disc mode (press command  + T on start up). it means it acts like an external hard disk. So you can then copy what you want across.

or

you could enable sharing in the system prefs of the old one and then you should be able to see it on the new one and copy wirelessly or with a  cable.

or use carbon copy cloner for the old one (free download) and select what you want to transfer. let ccc move the files to a portable HD and then you can put them on t'new one.

what (old) OS version is it btw?

to use the old mac as a substitute disk drive is easy enough - again in the sharing prefs enable the DVD (or CD) Sharing option.

On your new mac open the finder & towards the bottom left you should see Remote Disc - Select it and you’ll see the old mac as long as it's on your local network. You can put a data CD or DVD in the old mac and away you go - copy FM or whatever across.

or make a disk image of the FM and then copy that to your new one.

• 3 weeks later...

I have bought an Iphone 4s for very cheap, problem is it is locked to o2 and I am not with them. They seem to charge £15 to PAYGO customers but I don't really want to pay that. I want to use it with Three Mobile, is there a better/cheaper/easier way to unlock one?

I have bought an Iphone 4s for very cheap, problem is it is locked to o2 and I am not with them. They seem to charge £15 to PAYGO customers but I don't really want to pay that. I want to use it with Three Mobile, is there a better/cheaper/easier way to unlock one?

Any phone shop would unlock it I'm sure

6+ is probably going to be 900ish, I can't afford that. Think it'll just be the standard 6 - which I hope will have a good battery. I'm using a 4S atm and the battery drains in about a day.

I'm guessing 5s will be 450, 6 will be 650 and 6+ 900+

I can't believe how ugly it is. I'm too bought in to the Android ecosystem to consider getting an Apple product at this point, but I've at least admired their hardware in their phones, and their laptops are incredible, but that looks like shit. Who would wear that?!

Â