Snow Watch!

trekka

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the penalized few who actually make it into work only to have to do 4 peoples jobs???

Any employer who expects an employee to do the job of 3 others as well as their own is daft.

Edit: I do think you make a good point about how close people live to their work. Do we live further from our work now? I'd guess so but it would be interesting to see some figures on it. If it is the case, is that why it causes more problems, e.g. because there often is no other alternative to using one's own transport for the commute?

a. I guess you delve into 2011 Holiday entitlement?

In my experience a lot of employers are utterly inflexible regarding carrying over or delving in to another year's entitlement (for whatever reason).

b. Re- Overtime - Yep, if you have worked (measurable) OT (paid or unpaid), then it should be more than fair game to use that if you can't make it in.

generally, those that work (unpaid) overtime will be less inclined to take the p*ss during snow days, IMO.

I think that's my point made for me, mate, as the ones not taking the piss who are unable to get in to work are still punished.

Do you know of many places of work that keep a record of the unpaid overtime someone might do? :P

In any firm and any system there are always going to be those who take the piss or those who are treated unfairly. It is impossible to have a system in place that works at all times for all people sadly.

Indeed.

I think that poor employers take a blanket approach that their staff are children, are not to be trusted or believed, cannot do a day's work if the 'rod is spared' and take that to the kind of ridiculous lengths mentioned above by Chris and Mike.

Can I just say it's been a lovely day, drove with no problems over to the other side of Cumbria. It's bittingly cold about -15 tonight but hey ho!

No snow on roads at all...Have to drive to Scotland tomorrow but as our roads are cleared and gritted I'm hoping I'll get there.

Disgraceful the roads in the Midlands in comparison.

Can I just say it's been a lovely day, drove with no problems over to the other side of Cumbria. It's bittingly cold about -15 tonight but hey ho!

No snow on roads at all...Have to drive to Scotland tomorrow but as our roads are cleared and gritted I'm hoping I'll get there.

Disgraceful the roads in the Midlands in comparison.

Gritting the roads in the Midlands and lots of other areas of the country was utterly pointless with temperatures getting as low as minus 20, gritting the roads is only effective to about minus 4. It hasn't got above minus eight here for three days. The Salt on the roads would have no effect at all

All gritting the roads would have achieved is wasting salt and coroding your car for no good reason

These temperatures are beyond the power of salt, it is possible for the sea to freeze at these temperatures

Â