Snow Watch!

trekka

Driven to Moffat in Scotland there & back this afternoon. Not that much snow at all really compared with what we'd had previously

& what the South & Midlands are now experiencing.

Flipping cold though -10.... & I have earache with the rotten bug I can't seem to shift :(

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 Live had one of the airport managers from Helsinki on a short while ago. She described how they manage to never shut despite having several feet of snow each & every year. The airport have a system whereby they clear the snow completely using snow ploughs & blowers etc & then apply the chemical de-icers they use for the runways & parking bays.

I've landed & taken off from Bangor airport in Maine USA & there must have been 4 foot of snow on the sides, but the tarmac was completely ice & snow free.

Just another thought but as ash from the fireplace seems to do a good job of melting snow when sprinkled on, if counsels are running low on rock salt supplies as well as investing in snow plough appendages for their gritters... could they not mix the rock salt with ash from coal & wood burning power stations etc to make it go further?

does anyone else on here own a Corsa? if so are you finding it ridiculously difficult to drive in these conditions (in brum)? i can't even get out of my own road without getting pushed and i get stuck in the work car park every day whilst everyone else has no problems.

does anyone else on here own a Corsa? if so are you finding it ridiculously difficult to drive in these conditions (in brum)? i can't even get out of my own road without getting pushed and i get stuck in the work car park every day whilst everyone else has no problems.

I don't have a Corsa but I know my Ford Fiesta is a load of balls in this weather.

5 Live had one of the airport managers from Helsinki on a short while ago. She described how they manage to never shut despite having several feet of snow each & every year.

There in lies the issue, if it could be predicted then the maths suggests loss of income versus investment in stuff would be fairly simple.

Chances are, this could be the last snow for 5 years and every council in the land will be criticised for buying Thunderbird 7 and not using it.

Spot on Chris, we can't overprepare for this, it would be hugely damaging to our finances.

However Helsinki is guaranteed to get shitloads. So they can prepare with all that junk.

Anyone work for Royal Mail?

We haven't had our mail since Friday and we should have some parcels coming too. The postman I'm guessing hasn't attempted to get his van up my road but what would happen to my post and parcels? Would the Postmas hold on to them or would it be taken to the local Post Office?

Nice bit of rain just now in London - done a number of a good amount of the snow. :)

Do you know if heathrow got the rain too?? i'm flying from there on Saturday fingers crossed

I'm only five or six miles from Heathrow so I can't imagine it'd be much different there than here. A balmy 5 degrees this evening so I'm sure it'd all be gone by the weekend. I guess the only problem would be if the white stuff had returned or if they hadn't cleared the backlog by then but if it stays like it is, I'm sure you'll be OK.

Anyone work for Royal Mail?

We haven't had our mail since Friday and we should have some parcels coming too. The postman I'm guessing hasn't attempted to get his van up my road but what would happen to my post and parcels? Would the Postmas hold on to them or would it be taken to the local Post Office?

Usually go to the sorting office mate.

Though they sometimes get taken to the local post office brance if it's big enough to deal with them.

The amount of volume they are dealing with though, I'd say it'd be the sorting office.

Â