Snow Watch!

trekka

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I just say it's been a lovely day, drove with no problems over to the other side of Cumbria. It's bittingly cold about -15 tonight but hey ho!

No snow on roads at all...Have to drive to Scotland tomorrow but as our roads are cleared and gritted I'm hoping I'll get there.

Disgraceful the roads in the Midlands in comparison.

Gritting the roads in the Midlands and lots of other areas of the country was utterly pointless with temperatures getting as low as minus 20, gritting the roads is only effective to about minus 4. It hasn't got above minus eight here for three days. The Salt on the roads would have no effect at all

All gritting the roads would have achieved is wasting salt and coroding your car for no good reason

These temperatures are beyond the power of salt, it is possible for the sea to freeze at these temperatures

I'm sorry but I disagree. It never got above -10 about a week ago, & it was -13.5 on the way back home, however there was no problem driving down country lanes because the snow had been cleared, as long as you take it steady.Whereas it was -3.5 the weekend & the roads round my Mums were like a death trap.

The minus 12 I saw was at 10 to 9 this morning. It felt much, much, colder than that last night, but I had no thermometer to tell.

Whatever, it's still the coldest I've seen since 81/2 when I was an apprentice. That was -21 and you could snap your hair on the way back from the pub. That was just outside Wolverhampton, where I used to live.

I banged a load of them off today, had to go up the ladder and everything to do it, the satellite dish was frozen over so we had no telly. It is immensly satisfying though :mrgreen:

Our Sky TV is playing up at the moment, is it worth getting the ice off the satellite?

...Our Sky TV is playing up at the moment, is it worth getting the ice off the satellite?
Maybes, but you'd need a rocket. Just stick to the dish, not literally, mind. Seriously, no. Wait a bit, ice melts, no problem, no fall off roof. Better all round.

I've had people cry off work this evening, saying there were no buses! Load of old arse if you ask me.

I do the timesheets and these **** aint getting paid!

I'm sorry but I disagree. It never got above -10 about a week ago, & it was -13.5 on the way back home, however there was no problem driving down country lanes because the snow had been cleared, as long as you take it steady.Whereas it was -3.5 the weekend & the roads round my Mums were like a death trap.

You want to argue with science? Fair enough, disagree all you like, it won't alter the fact that 10% salt solution (Already pretty unachievable by gritting the roads) freezes at minus 6, a 20% salt solution freezes at minus 16. The fact that gritting the roads is pointless past minus 4 degrees isn't really something you can disagree about Julie, its scientific fact. Seawater for instance is usually about a 3-4% solution just so you get an idea of the sheer amount of salt required in the water

If the roads were gritted at minus 3.5, it would take a drop of 0.5 degrees for the snow to re-freeze but then become sheet ice instead of snow, which does at least afford some degree of traction.

Gritting the roads in these temperatures is utterly pointless

I banged a load of them off today, had to go up the ladder and everything to do it, the satellite dish was frozen over so we had no telly. It is immensly satisfying though :mrgreen:

Our Sky TV is playing up at the moment, is it worth getting the ice off the satellite?

Indeed it is, I had to use a combination of a kitchen blowtorch, deicer for the car and a screw driver used as an ice pick, The Satellite works now

You want to argue with science?

What a shit day. Hope tomorrow is better for public travel. London Midland cancelled all their trains between Birmingham and Hereford (and Bromsgrove) today. They want to **** strike on Thursday too. They can **** right off and go back to work, bunch of slackers. Luckily a Cross country train was passing through and I got home without any problems!

You want to argue with science? Fair enough, disagree all you like, it won't alter the fact that 10% salt solution (Already pretty unachievable by gritting the roads) freezes at minus 6, a 20% salt solution freezes at minus 16. The fact that gritting the roads is pointless past minus 4 degrees isn't really something you can disagree about Julie, its scientific fact. Seawater for instance is usually about a 3-4% solution just so you get an idea of the sheer amount of salt required in the water

If the roads were gritted at minus 3.5, it would take a drop of 0.5 degrees for the snow to re-freeze but then become sheet ice instead of snow, which does at least afford some degree of traction.

Gritting the roads in these temperatures is utterly pointless

I'm not arguing with science Bicks.. I'm arguing that they should get some snow ploughs to clear the snow in the Midlands!!! All the gritters up here & in Scotland double up as snow ploughs. OK when it gets to 5 foot of snow up on the A66 past Brough about 4mile away even the ploughs get stuck but if the roads are cleared then we don't have any problems.

The state of the roads & pavements here in comparison to the Midlands is quite shocking. I was in Penrith yesterday & it was busy despite being colder than Great Barr. The roads had been cleared of snow using snow ploughs and the pavements cleared by shopkeepers & the council. It was humming with shoppers, whereas despite not snowing substantially for 2 days the Scott Arms was practically deserted & B'ham City Centre is similar the pavements were lethal & the roads not much better. Everyone is moaning Bicks, it's not just me Radio WM eg Carl Chinn on Sunday morning before I left, have been inundated with angry shopkeepers and members of the public.

I popped to office near Chorley on way home & they'd had boatloads of snow but their roads had been cleared far more than Great Barr & B'ham it was -8.5 at Chorley Sunday evening.

Â