Snow Watch!

trekka

A lot of people cannot afford to go unpaid

they wouldn't be?! :?

They'd either make it into work, work the time up, or take it as holiday (ie paid leave). Using the example from the previous page.

I've not heard talk of unpaid leave on here, and I would not be in favour of that at all.

EDIT: ooops - just read Si's post on previous page. That's not good. :twisted:

Apart from Si's position, what if you had no holiday left (surely not an unlikely position in the middle of december if the holiday year was a calendar one)?

'Work the time up'? Would one be allowed to nett it off against any unpaid overtime already done?

my mate's wife has walked into work for the wonderful Tesco this morning. Car undriveable, no buses, so she walked in. On arriving at 8:10am for a shift that starts at 8:00am she was met at the door by someone with a clipboard that told her she will be docked 15 minutes pay.

Happy Christmas Tesco.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A decent stance that Tone, and one our company takes too (although "sadly" I can do my job remotely working from my laptop at home).

However, haiving read posts on here and stories and accounts from elsewhere, a great many regard this severe weather simply as an opportunity for an extra day off, which is not a good scenario for the country or employers.

Although it's great for the "snow day" people! :mrgreen:

They'd either make it into work, work the time up, or take it as holiday (ie paid leave). Using the example from the previous page.

I've not heard talk of unpaid leave on here, and I would not be in favour of that at all.

Apart from Si's position, what if you had no holiday left (surely not an unlikely position in the middle of december if the holiday year was a calendar one)?

'Work the time up'? Would one be allowed to nett it off against any unpaid overtime already done?

my mate's wife has walked into work for the wonderful Tesco this morning. Car undriveable, no buses, so she walked in. On arriving at 8:10am for a shift that starts at 8:00am she was met at the door by someone with a clipboard that told her she will be docked 15 minutes pay.

Happy Christmas Tesco.

My daughter works for Morrisons, and they are similarly Dickensian. They treat their staff like shit, and then wonder why they get no "loyalty". Pathetic.

I guess if you genuinely can't get in to work (and can't work from home) then it's a fairly reasonable stance for a company to take...

Not to me. Taking that attitude about your workforce, in my view, is symptomatic of being a poor employer (along the same kind of lines as the unpaid first 3 days sick, no internet access, no 'non work' chat, clocking in/out to go to the bog, &c.).

A lot of people cannot afford to go unpaid (and therefore might well try and make journeys which they simply couldn't do), for example.

It might well do something for those who look at it as a chance for a 'free jolly' but should those who do not look at it in that way be penalized?

What about the penalized few who actually make it into work only to have to do 4 peoples jobs??? it should be unpaid because if you cant get into work then you either need to move closer to work or get a job thats closer for you...you cant expect people to do your job for you or expect your employer to take a hit because you live where you do

a. I guess you delve into 2011 Holiday entitlement?

b. Re- Overtime - Yep, if you have worked (measurable) OT (paid or unpaid), then it should be more than fair game to use that if you can't make it in.

generally, those that work (unpaid) overtime will be less inclined to take the p*ss during snow days, IMO.

Happy Christmas Tesco.

They've done her for 5 minutes as well. :lol: :winkold:

In any firm and any system there are always going to be those who take the piss or those who are treated unfairly. It is impossible to have a system in place that works at all times for all people sadly.

There seems to be a growing sense in this country that snow equals day off, it applies to schools and teachers/headteachers and it applies to a lot of employees.

The more prevalent this attitude becomes the more employees will take action to protect their interests, it is inevitable.

In any firm and any system there are always going to be those who take the piss or those who are treated unfairly. It is impossible to have a system in place that works at all times for all people sadly.

There seems to be a growing sense in this country that snow equals day off, it applies to schools and teachers/headteachers and it applies to a lot of employees.

The prevalent this attitude becomes the more employees will take action to protect their interests, it is inevitable.

I have to say I agree with this 100% Going further I would also say that this whole attitude stems from the schools who close for an inch of snow and expect parents to be able to take a day off...its become expected and it has to stop

The prevalent this attitude becomes the more employees will take action to protect their interests, it is inevitable.

The university I work for always puts out a message making their position clear. Normally they say that if we can't get in, and can't work from home, we're expected to either take it as holiday or make the time up later. On exceptional occasions they declare it an "official" snow day and that we don't need to do the above (there was one such a couple of weeks ago, the first I can remember in years). But it's on their say-so, not ours, which I think is fair enough.

Going further I would also say that this whole attitude stems from the schools who close for an inch of snow and expect parents to be able to take a day off...its become expected and it has to stop

Don't even get me started on this topic or I will really start to rant.

Some recent examples I could tell you about, two schools that back onto each other, one the infant the other the junior. Both on different roads but effectively on the same site, one closed due to snow the other open.

Then there was a rather large secondary school that was declared closed by the deputy from the comfort of his own lounge not having even checked conditions on site or spoken to the head.

Or a school which closed on a Wednesday due to snow and said they were closed until the Monday!!!!

Some schools and school staff do an amazing job at keeping their schools open others jump at the chance to close.

Well that was a disappointment. It's been RAINING all day down here on the south coast. Gggrrr

:shock: :?

What's the temp dpwn there Trekka?

Can it rain when it's below zero, or must it be snow?

Well that was a disappointment. It's been RAINING all day down here on the south coast. Gggrrr

Yes because the temp is taken at ground level, doesn't mean its the same temp at cloud level.

Snowing here in Erdington.

Back on the subject of work we have a policy where people who can work at home can with managers approval, others either take a days holiday, without pay or make the hours up over a period of time.

I have mentioned before that our IT guy is a proper stormchaser and is a weather geek, his weather is spot on to the point where his site had it starting to snow at 3pm which it did, his setting have it as my work in Redditch but its close enough.

Due to the conditions he has even set up a webcam at work so that we can check out the conditions before setting out.

Currently at 1oC (according to my windows gadget thingy anyway). It's rain but it's bloody cold rain! I left work early as the roads on top of the hill where work sits would be a death trap if it started to freeze. As I was driving down, it was like I was driving through a river at times with all of the run off - bugger if I was going to risk it!

Â