The Police

tonyh29

Have you ever called the Police ?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever called the Police ?

• De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da (Yes)
    • Don't Stand so close to me (No)

Phone in this morning on the radio was all about anti social behaviour again and how the country is supposedly being roamed by hordes of out of control gangs.( has anyone ever seen these gangs ?)

Seemed to be many a listener that had called the police and been told we don't respond to calls for that please don't waste our time and so on

So I just wondered , Have any of you ever called the Police and if so what for ? and did you get a decent response ?

Only time I called them was as i was bombing down the dual carriageway and 2 young kids were playing chicken and ran in front of me , I called the police as they seemed to be doing it with lots of cars and I think their luck was due to run out

Yes - twice

Once because when we were living in flats in uni, the woman upstairs was being kicked shitless by her fella and screaming like mad

Second time was this Saturday just gone after my mrs got attacked by a staff while walking to the paper shop. Police response "we'll warn the owner".

That dog best hope I dont see it. At least put down humanely would spare it hours of suffering that i'll make sure it has.

I called the Police once, I was walking back to the apartment I used to live in and a couple of teenagers were relieving a car of its parcel shelf speakers. Another lad was running towards them saying 'hurry up'. I called the plod and explained the situation. They called me back a bit later on confirming they intervened the youngsters I mentioned and one of the lads was able to prove it was his car :oops:

My dad got attacked in our old house by a bloke 25 years younger . Took the law nearly an hour to arrive useless clearings in the woods. Told them what was going on and I was told they would be right there .By the time they did I had attacked said man with a saucepan round the head :P which split his head open and gave him concussion. He was lucky as the scissors were nearer. No one attacks my dad. I also had his gold chains off his neck which got pawned. I got arrested but not charged.

Never had to, luckily. I've had to run to an ambulance in Halifax and guide them through a high street to where some old woman had collapsed (and I don't do running), that aside my contact with emergency services has been minimal.

I'd be intrigued to know, rather than who has called the police, who among has had the police called on them?

Called them due to some anti-social behaviour in our old street in Edinburgh a few years back, and they were straight round in a panda within a few minutes. Confiscated all the booze off the young hoolies in question and sent them off with a flea in their ear and a few on-the-spot fines.

Top copping from Lothian and Borders' finest.

Yes, on a number of occasions.

On the whole, worse than useless and sometimes despicably bad (to the point of lying, for example) with the exception of one or two local coppers who it seems had to fight their own system to be anything like community police.

My dad got attacked in our old house by a bloke 25 years younger . Took the law nearly an hour to arrive useless clearings in the woods. Told them what was going on and I was told they would be right there .By the time they did I had attacked said man with a saucepan round the head :P which split his head open and gave him concussion. He was lucky as the scissors were nearer. No one attacks my dad. I also had his gold chains off his neck which got pawned. I got arrested but not charged.
I'd imagine that's quite a common occurence given how long the plods usually take to get there - you take the 'law' into your own hands and given the fact no common sense is used nowadays you're the one getting arrested!

My brother moved to London not too long ago, lives in a flat above a 60 odd year old woman. After a few weeks, the woman started leaving notes on his door asking him if he was undercover police. She's sent him dozens of extremely bizarre messages since, which I've actually seen, not exactly threatening, but making it obvious that she's suffering some mental illness. Lately she's been in her garden at midnight screaming to my brother for hours, it's pretty worrying stuff.

My brother went round the police station and showed them the notes (which are really, really strange) and the response he got was 'we can't do anything about it'. Since then, the woman's sent increasingly more worrying notes and physically attacked my brother outside the flat.

He reported it and it seems they're now going to look into it, but why didn't they get social services involved in the first place? It's obvious the woman is mentally unstable, I would've thought it obvious someone needed to go round and at least check out the situation.

Called them twice as far as I can remember.

Once as I was driving up the M1 and there was a kid who clearly had downs or something similar, wandering aimlessly along the hard shoulder with no shoes on and a carrier bag. They weren't interested.

Another time, I went to the Spar in Cotteridge late one evening and as I was getting back in my car, I saw three young guys breaking windows and nicking stereos out of cars at the garage on the corner of Watford Rd/Northfield Rd. Old Bill said they were very busy but would send a panda round when they could. I waited 25 minutes and the ne'er-do-wells were long gone by that time so I gave up waiting and went home.

I'd imagine that's quite a common occurence given how long the plods usually take to get there - you take the 'law' into your own hands and given the fact no common sense is used nowadays you're the one getting arrested!

I have never called the clearings in the woods but if you need them real quick why can't you just say "it looked like a gun / knife / ICBM but i am not sure as it's a bit dark". This pushes the responsibility onto them as the clearings in the woods know if it is for real and they were warned about the (possible)weapon it won't look good for the 2 plods turning up 2 hours later after a nice hand holding session in the car and a trip to BK when there are 12 dead people in a house ?

I have called them once.

Had come back from the gym and was clearing out the car at about 11pm and saw 3 hooligans going up the driveways of each of the houses in the street so I hid beside the garage and supprised them, then called the police as they ran away (I was a bit more powerful then and the chavs didn't carry knives as much)

I live in Singapore and to be frank I have to give my government credit for an excellent law enforcement system. I remember one day when I was walking into my apartment lift and I spotted two bags in there. Now who would leave two big **** travel bags in there...I can understand if it's something small like a wallet etc but this was a little suspicious. Phoned the police. A few hours later the bags were gone.

I did down at the SHA the other year, when they all came out of Moriartes and started smacking around Villa in colours (no, the Blues, pick on Villa in colours and your ones and twos? Who’d have thought it).

I used to live in a far more 'lively' part of town than I do currently.

I used to phone the Police about various incidents, but after a while realised I was simply wasting my time and a succession of 5p's so I stopped bothering.

A couple of choice examples:

Used to live directly across from an off licence. One night the alarm went off and there are people running around in there. Phoned the Police and said come now and you will catch them in the act. I then waited for the Sweeney and Gene Hunt to arrive. Nothing. The guys left with there boxes of goodies. All a bit odd I thought and eventually went off to bed. An hour later, my phone rings, it's the Police asking if they are still there!!!!

Old ladies across the street had their window put through by someone I was able to describe, I told the police and they weren't interested in taking a description as 'we could never really prove it'.

Last one, a local flat was clearly being used by a gang of yoofs as a general fencing / distribution centre including stolen cars. I tipped off the police, they raided and got shit loads of evidence. With a dozen teenagers cuffed and on the street and being loaded into vans they knocked on my door and thanked me for the tip off.

I don't have a great opinion of the Police at present. As long as they've been given nice cars to chase round and round in at night they are happy.

Chrisp has just reminded me of another time I tried to help the police.

I lived on the 3rd floor of an apartment block in Wales for a while. The place next door was huge and had been the mayors' house previously. One day I watched a bunch of guys emptying the place into a van but didn't think anything of it as the place had been empty for months. Next morning, there's police tape all over the place and apparently heaps of expensive stuff had been robbed. Later that day, when the police came back for a nosey, I wandered down to tell them that I saw the guys clearing out the place (I'd actually had a really good view of the whole thing and could have described in a fair amount of detail, the van and a couple of the guys). The young copper at the tape suggested I didn't bother telling his boss as it'd only mean a whole heap of inconvenience for me and the house was probably insured anyway. It seemed like he wanted to do me a favour by not getting me involved and that was more important that banging up the scrotes doing the rob. All very odd.

Â