The Police

tonyh29

Have you ever called the Police ?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever called the Police ?

• De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da (Yes)
    • Don't Stand so close to me (No)

Once. And it was not a 999 call, but one to Warwickshire Police's switchboard. I reported a horse running around on the B4114 in Shustoke.

Dans girlfriend on the loose again! :mrgreen:

I made a thread about it on the official boards back in the day. It got something ridiculous like 100 replies.

(mostly because my awesome thread title disappointed so many people when they realised what the topic was actually about.) :mrgreen:

Have I ever phoned the Police? Hell Yes

How many times? Lost count, its part of my job.

Did I ever get a satisfactory response? Rarely

Oh well being as the police are so concerned about crime statistics and clear up rates, they are going to have a little shock soon, we'll expect the Chief Constable on his hands and knees before this is over.

See the economic downturn has meant an increase in people doing runners from taxis, let alone the more serious stuff that goes on. We requested a meeting with the local station high ups, who sent an inspector and a sergeant around for a chat. We explained that people are doing runners from taxis, its illegal and the Police seemingly do nothing about it. Now we freely admit that its a crime that is a pain in the arse to report as the driver loses more money in time off the road reporting the incident and its easier for us in the office to bump them a few extra jobs until they've made their money back than it is to report the crime. Thing is its an ever growing problem and enough is enough, We know that individual drivers have tried reporting runners to the police and get fobbed off too so we thought we'd ask nicely. Since we started recording the runners, in three months we are up to 1200 different events, thats 1200 crimes, you can see why they won't want us to report them cant you. Thats nearly 5,000 crimes a year for Merseyside Police - that in itself will totally **** up the clear up rate. Its a hugely substantial hit to the statistics. Watch this space....

Why don't taxi drivers ask for the money upfront, if it's not metered?

Oh well being as the police are so concerned about crime statistics and clear up rates, they are going to have a little shock soon, we'll expect the Chief Constable on his hands and knees before this is over.

See the economic downturn has meant an increase in people doing runners from taxis, let alone the more serious stuff that goes on. We requested a meeting with the local station high ups, who sent an inspector and a sergeant around for a chat. We explained that people are doing runners from taxis, its illegal and the Police seemingly do nothing about it. Now we freely admit that its a crime that is a pain in the arse to report as the driver loses more money in time off the road reporting the incident and its easier for us in the office to bump them a few extra jobs until they've made their money back than it is to report the crime. Thing is its an ever growing problem and enough is enough, We know that individual drivers have tried reporting runners to the police and get fobbed off too so we thought we'd ask nicely. Since we started recording the runners, in three months we are up to 1200 different events, thats 1200 crimes, you can see why they won't want us to report them cant you. Thats nearly 5,000 crimes a year for Merseyside Police - that in itself will totally **** up the clear up rate. Its a hugely substantial hit to the statistics. Watch this space....

Because

(a) You never know how much the fare will be until you get there

(B) People change their mind half way through a journey as to where they are going

© People never tell you that they want to go on somewhere else afterwards

(d) It's rude and likely to cause an argument before the journey has started

Surely most taxi drivers know how much fares are going to be if they know where they're going.

If they change their mind, you take extra or give them a bit back.

If they want to go on elsewhere, they pay extra.

I don't think it's rude, although I can see some people thinking it is. If you explained why money had to be taken upfront, I think 95% of people would be fine with it.

See, it'd be easy ;)

Here is a tip; if you ever catch anyone in your house, phone the police. If they aint there in five minutes, phone back and say "Forget that call I made about the burglar, I've just shot the **** - can you send an ambulance instead". Think you will find that they will arrive sharpish.

Surely most taxi drivers know how much fares are going to be if they know where they're going.

I don't think it's rude, although I can see some people thinking it is. If you explained why money had to be taken upfront, I think 95% of people would be fine with it.

See, it'd be easy ;)

Trust me, no they don't know, fares are measured in 1/5ths of a mile. I'm a genius at working out fares in my head, if I say so myself, my colleagues will attest to this and even I cant get it that correct, theres also all sorts of other factors like, waiting time at stops, diversions for road works. It simply would not work. There is a high churn of drivers, its a between jobs job for some and a semi retirement job for others, they aren't that clever mostly either. Our firm does about 150,000 jobs a week with a fleet of about 1600 cars - can you imagine the amount of radio operators required to sort out the fares for the drivers that coudn't work it out in advance? I can, it'd be about 40 and I don't think the DTI would give us enough channels and the boss couldn't afford to employ that many radio operators (nor could he find enough people good enough to fill the jobs).

That and I'm fairly sure its in our conditions of licence that fares are calculated at the end of the journey

Here is a tip; if you ever catch anyone in your house, phone the police. If they aint there in five minutes, phone back and say "Forget that call I made about the burglar, I've just shot the **** - can you send an ambulance instead". Think you will find that they will arrive sharpish.

Police will nearly always attend a burglary immediately if the perpetrator is on the premises at the time

Police will nearly always attend a burglary immediately if the perpetrator is on the premises at the time

generally yes you're right, unless of course you live in a town of 46,000 people and a surrounding population of a further 30,000 and when you phone to say it's happening right now they tell you 'sorry, only two of us on duty tonight, my oppo is already out on a call and I'm not allowed to leave the phone unmanned'.

this, incidentally, is a differenct incident to the ones mentioned earlier.

happily, all these little anecdotes are from a different part of town, we got out as soon as financially possible, but in lots of ways it was a worthwhile experience to know what it's like to live 'somewhere like that'

I watched a police car drive straight past an unconscious pisshead outside Northfield train station yesterday. This was at about 3 in the afternoon, the guy was using cans of cider as his pillow! Obviously not a major crime or anything, but you'd have thought they'd have moved him on!

Found parked car with a sleeping baby in it on a hot day. Waited 10 minutes intending to give it to the word removed parent. No show. Called the police explaining the situation and they where there in 5 minutes, 15 minutes later the mother turned up. It was a joy listening to the police absolutely ripping the woman to pieces.

Clownpocket!

Because

(a) You never know how much the fare will be until you get there

(B) People change their mind half way through a journey as to where they are going

© People never tell you that they want to go on somewhere else afterwards

(d) It's rude and likely to cause an argument before the journey has started

"Its our policy for you to surrender your mobile phone / wallet until the payment is made"

dont like it, get out of the car and walk...

What's the deal with un-metered taxis? The guys who pick you up on broad st and charge you 20 quid up front and you know the money's going straight into his pocket. Is that illegal?

It's understandable, as 2am after drinking for 8 hours is when you're most likely to attempt a runner, you can also negotiate a price which ends up cheaper then if it were metered, but you know the money is never going to see the tax man, for instance.

See, it'd be easy ;)

Trust me, no they don't know, fares are measured in 1/5ths of a mile. I'm a genius at working out fares in my head, if I say so myself, my colleagues will attest to this and even I cant get it that correct, theres also all sorts of other factors like, waiting time at stops, diversions for road works. It simply would not work. There is a high churn of drivers, its a between jobs job for some and a semi retirement job for others, they aren't that clever mostly either. Our firm does about 150,000 jobs a week with a fleet of about 1600 cars - can you imagine the amount of radio operators required to sort out the fares for the drivers that coudn't work it out in advance? I can, it'd be about 40 and I don't think the DTI would give us enough channels and the boss couldn't afford to employ that many radio operators (nor could he find enough people good enough to fill the jobs).

That and I'm fairly sure its in our conditions of licence that fares are calculated at the end of the journey

I'm finished with doing runners after knowing this ;)

Seriously, my mates always used to do a lot of runners when we were kids, but because of my **** conscience I was always left in the car having to pay my share of the fair. The thing is, it wasn't like they were skint, they just liked the buzz...tinkers.

Don't have a problem with taxi drivers, especially ones like Bicks who sounds like he actually does the job properly.

But there are some right clearings in the woods out there. The minority, but still. In Leeds once we got picked up outside a club. Halfway home he said he couldn't take us all the way home so we had to get out, halfway home, and pay however much it cost to get us there. We objected and told him (which another driver had told us, not sure if it's true) that if he hasn't taken us to our destination we don't have to pay him a thing.

He drove us to the police station and locked us in his cab and told us he wouldn't let us out until we paid him (we were now further from home than where we'd started).

It wasn't until we phoned the police station that we were parked outside of, and told them there was a taxi driver holding us hostage outside their door that he finally let us out! Needless to say he didn't get paid.

has anyone ever seen these gangs?

Yes.

Many of the local kids think and act like they live in the 'Hood' - clearings in the woods.

They'd get eaten alive on the sink estates a couple of miles to the north.

There's been problems with gangs of girls too.

Â