The Police

tonyh29

Have you ever called the Police ?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever called the Police ?

• De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da (Yes)
    • Don't Stand so close to me (No)

What's the deal with un-metered taxis? The guys who pick you up on broad st and charge you 20 quid up front and you know the money's going straight into his pocket. Is that illegal?

It's understandable, as 2am after drinking for 8 hours is when you're most likely to attempt a runner, you can also negotiate a price which ends up cheaper then if it were metered, but you know the money is never going to see the tax man, for instance.

I got charged £2 more the other week, because I walked straight to the rank instead of phoning. Driver told me it was normal practice, but the next time I had him, I told him I wasn't happy with paying extra and he only charged me £1 more.

I got charged £2 more the other week, because I walked straight to the rank instead of phoning. Driver told me it was normal practice, but the next time I had him, I told him I wasn't happy with paying extra and he only charged me £1 more.

Businessman of the Year FTW! :lol: :oops: :winkold:

Businessman of the Year FTW! :lol: :oops: :winkold:

:)

Wasn't the money, there's no way I'm letting anyone rip me off, well not twice anyway :)

I thought taxi's were internally locked by the driver when you get in, thus negating any chance of a runner?

Or is that illegal for health and safety reasons?

I think they automatically lock (black cabs this is) when it's moving, but not when it's at a standstill.

black cabs are the devils work, remember that when you stop at the traffic lights and they charge you for waiting even though its not your fault. Remember that when they charge you the maximum rate as set by the council, they do not have to do this, they can offer to charge a lower fare, they never do

Dan, any cab you just walk into off the street without phoning first must have a meter as it must be a hackney carriage (not necessarily a "black cab" - that depends on the local authority), you can arrange to pay up front if you want but no taxi driver will offer you a fare that is less than what you'd pay off the meter. If you haven't phoned it, insist on a meter. If you have phoned it, don't phone a hackney carriage, you'll pay through the nose. If it hasn't got a meter, its not a Hackney. Always check for an offical plate on the vehicle usually on the back, if it says Private hire and you've just got in it randomly the driver is breaking the law and isn't insured, if he isn't insured, neither are you.

Black Cabs doors engage the lock when the drivers foot is on the brake

Back to the Police though as this ones going off on a taxi tangent

(d) It's rude and likely to cause an argument before the journey has started

where as running off without paying is considered polite ? :-)

Hey, it's Liverpool, isn't it? :mrgreen:

I did it once on the piss. Not the 112, which is the swedish 999 or 911 if you like. Called to ask them about the pronounciation of a well debated swedish word. They laughed a bit and said that they pronounced it the way I didn't. Well, what can I say? It was in Stockholm. They don't know very much over there. Then they said that every step I take, every move I make, every vow I break, every bretah I take they'd be watching me... Sorry.

Don't have a problem with taxi drivers, especially ones like Bicks who sounds like he actually does the job properly.

But there are some right clearings in the woods out there. The minority, but still. In Leeds once we got picked up outside a club. Halfway home he said he couldn't take us all the way home so we had to get out, halfway home, and pay however much it cost to get us there. We objected and told him (which another driver had told us, not sure if it's true) that if he hasn't taken us to our destination we don't have to pay him a thing.

He drove us to the police station and locked us in his cab and told us he wouldn't let us out until we paid him (we were now further from home than where we'd started).

It wasn't until we phoned the police station that we were parked outside of, and told them there was a taxi driver holding us hostage outside their door that he finally let us out! Needless to say he didn't get paid.

There are so many ways that could/should have been resolved its unfunny.

My mate is currently doing a stint inside for car jacking a taxi and driving it around the car park while pissed :lol:

Don't have a problem with taxi drivers, especially ones like Bicks who sounds like he actually does the job properly.

But there are some right clearings in the woods out there. The minority, but still. In Leeds once we got picked up outside a club. Halfway home he said he couldn't take us all the way home so we had to get out, halfway home, and pay however much it cost to get us there. We objected and told him (which another driver had told us, not sure if it's true) that if he hasn't taken us to our destination we don't have to pay him a thing.

He drove us to the police station and locked us in his cab and told us he wouldn't let us out until we paid him (we were now further from home than where we'd started).

It wasn't until we phoned the police station that we were parked outside of, and told them there was a taxi driver holding us hostage outside their door that he finally let us out! Needless to say he didn't get paid.

There are so many ways that could/should have been resolved its unfunny.

My mate is currently doing a stint inside for car jacking a taxi and driving it around the car park while pissed :lol:

The weirdest thing was, none of us, to this day, have any idea why he got in such a mood in the first place. he just pulled up halfway home and said "This is as far as I'm taking you"

We'd had a few drinks but none of us were [issed, and at worst we were being a bit loud . But we weren't being rude or proper loud or anything. But something set him off.

Anyway, makes a good story.

Â