Houllier - released from contract with FFF

Brumerican

A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?

• Oui
    • Non
    • Undecided

Raver the point is many supporters turn on managers and pick at little things like transfers, tactics etc.. despite the fact they know **** all about football management.

The smart people accept the flaws with the merits. All managers have them, even Houllier. But even if he does well people will turn on him and he'll be gone in the usual mangerial window of less than 4/5 years.

Once you accept that, then it's a little easier to get by in the latter years of a manager reign.

Personally I support all our managers unless they go downhill badly. I only turned on DOL during his final season in charge. I was more praying for us to avoid relegation during GT mk2 than turning on him. I never turned on Gregory, Little or Ron. Was too young to have much hate before that.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sparky -

Savo the spitter? Or Savo the goal at Wembley? I guess it's what you choose to remember of him. I could see in the warm-ups that he had a good skills base, but on the pitch he was more miss than hit. I used to cheer him on, and his moment of magic at Wembley was a fine highlight of my life, but the spitting incident and the pure fact that deep down we knew he was a bit of a donkey when actually playing the game makes him a bit of a dud in my book. The fact that for several years after that parts of the Villa crowd chanted 'Savo, Savo, Savo...' when one of our strikers foiled a chance says it all... In irony, many a true sentiment.

Fernando - he wasn't with us long enough really was he and for all his drinking, I didn't think Gary 'Lord' Charles was too bad at right back. I will maybe take that back and replace with............ Sasa 'Nutjob' Curcic.

CVByrne - I get your point entirely. I just hope Gerard is not ultimately judged by signings. This is a results game and whatever MON's failings we did get some very good results. Just some shocking home results too...

Houllier has signed some absolute dross as well, and high risk dross at that.

Let's not get carried away in the excitement of something actually happening. Houllier has been hit and miss in the transfer market, like many managers.

On balance I'd say that Houllier's failings in the market have been much more catastrophic that MON's. Also, on balance I'd say MON is the better manager, but I'm willing to reserve judgement somewhat on that issue in the meantime.

I don't think Houllier's transfer record is bad at all. As was pointed out, he bought loads of quality players and many of them were real bargains.

People say he bought rubbish players. Yes he did that too, but not any more than other big club managers. He gets blamed for buying Diao and Cherou. Jesus, they didn't cost more than £4M each and you have to take risks to find gems. Cisse could have been a brilliant signing for £14M if he didn't break his leg in his first season in Liverpool. And who knew Diouf was a nutjob? Based on skills he could have been a bargain for £10M. Many of the other "flops" were youngsters who didn't cost much and it was always likely that most of them wouldn't become stars. Also, he was sacked when many of them were still developing.

Raver the point is many supporters turn on managers and pick at little things like transfers, tactics etc.. despite the fact they know **** all about football management.

The smart people accept the flaws with the merits. All managers have them, even Houllier. But even if he does well people will turn on him and he'll be gone in the usual mangerial window of less than 4/5 years.

Once you accept that, then it's a little easier to get by in the latter years of a manager reign.

Personally I support all our managers unless they go downhill badly. I only turned on DOL during his final season in charge. I was more praying for us to avoid relegation during GT mk2 than turning on him. I never turned on Gregory, Little or Ron. Was too young to have much hate before that.

Well aint you just brilliant. Have a cookie.

cookie.jpg

So annoying when people consider Savo a bad buy. He was a good player for our club, I'll never undertand this.

Fully agree, class player who didnt deserve the stick he got...........

I am brilliant, thanks for the cookie ;)

Houllier just made 3 bad signings in 2002 summer, Diouf, Diao and Cheyrou. The fact all 3 were bought the same summer and he also persisted with a man pretending to be a footballer in Traore along with the modern view of Heskey gives him a bad rep in the transfer market.

He'd done well for the first 3/4 years before the 2002 world cup.

EDIT: Stupid cookie picture made me hungry. I'm now eating an M&S chock chip cookie. :)

CVByrne - I also seem to recall Fergie going for some players on the back of Euro 96 hype... so even he is fallable. Messrs Poborsky (that goal at VP?) and Jordi Cruyff? I might be wrong as I am knocking on a bit...

Maybe I was a bit harsh on Savo... bandana (whatever happened to that idea?) but Curcic stays... Grrrrr :-)

Fergie signed Djemba Djemba, Kleberson, Forlan and Veron, all failures but he'd earned the time to make ammends of course. All managers make mistakes in the transfer market and many times it's not their fault. Veron was a fantastic footballer and still is, player of the year he won again in South America, he just didn;t work in the Prem.

Diablo - I believe that is what we have to take into account most significantly with the appointment of our new manager. I guess the biggest thing is that for the relative size of our clubs (back then...) he could get away with more 'dud' buys in the market than he would have done at Villa? I'm talking different levels of club finances back then?

It may be that he can't afford too many Bad Buys in the current climate at Villa - who knows. He might get the warchest that MON wanted in January... you just don't know what has actually gone on. For sure, I see on SSN that 'Woy' Hodgson is already looking to trim back the squad at Liverpool - maybe they have a 'sell to buy' ethos for a bit too as they look to sell the club?

I don't know - it's all speculation and early exciting days. Bring on Monday, though Stoke will be desperate for a point at least, if not more. And you know how it worked out two years ago when the script was unfurled... I recall it was a great game, Barry gave the ball away (the first of several incidents of that ilk for him that season) and above all, it was a great atmos...

UTV.

Houlier will be judged on results, as every Manager is.

Look at the facts, he may have bought some poor players at Liverpool (and no doubt elsewhere) but so has Fergie (Poborsly, Jordi, Djembax2, Taibi!!!), so has Mourinho (Shevchenko, Hilario), Wenger (Eduardo, Jeffers, Upson) and so did the fat Waiter (Lucas, Babbel). The reality is that any of these plays (except Djembax2!!) could have been a success it is just down to circumstance - look at Forlan, he was toss for Man Utd. yet he is one of the best strikers in Spain!

I have to say I am a bit surprised and disappointed at the way some of us have reacted to GH's appointment - he has as good a track record, if not better, than any manager we have had in a long time, if not ever!!!

I for one think he will take us on a level - he has more about him tactically than MON (not a dig at him, he was great for us) and will at least try and do a few things differently - I certainly think he will improve some of our younger plays and am certain he will improve our ability to keep hold of the ball.

So annoying when people consider Savo a bad buy. He was a good player for our club, I'll never undertand this.

Fully agree, class player who didnt deserve the stick he got...........

doesnt he actually have a really good goals per game ratio?

and he then went on to pastures new with very respectable transfer fees along the way

the media tagline gets remembered more than his performances

Â