Houllier - released from contract with FFF

Brumerican

A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?

• Oui
    • Non
    • Undecided

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there will be times when we'll be begging for a manager like MON. Huge mistake letting him go. Lets face it, we don't have a top 4 team and still were firm challengers the past 2 seasons, at one time even an outside title challenger. Yes, in the end we "failed" but what kind of failure is 5th or 6th place in the Premier League when constantly being a threat for top 4? I don't want to be a pessimist but I don't see us finishing nowhere near that in the forthcoming season(s).

I loved his passion for the game, you know, jumping down the line when we score... reacting like he's rather on the pitch than off it. And I loved how we played under his rule, that's the way I think Aston Villa should look - firm defending and deadly on counters with the lads working their socks off. His only mistake was that he really exhausted his players by not making changes in the starting line-ups. And he payed for that unfortunately...

As for Houllier, I don't know. What success does he have actually? Pool were shit when he was there, also I remeber in the 1994 World Cup campaign he was managing France and he needed 1 point from his last two games (against Israel and us, Bulgaria) both at home and lost both of them.

Again I hope I'm worng but I dont think we'll repeat the MON's successes this and the forthcoming seasons.

mccalister isa good coach, a very good one. woud be a great coup for us.

I hope he'll do well, although it isn't really a coup is it, pinching a coach from Boro. Anyway, good to see our ban on employing staff already in jobs doesn't stretch as far as assistant managers!

mccalister isa good coach, a very good one. woud be a great coup for us.

I hope he'll do well, although it isn't really a coup is it, pinching a coach from Boro. Anyway, good to see our ban on employing staff already in jobs doesn't stretch as far as assistant managers!

Green Man for both sentences Mart. :mrgreen::clap:

Anyway, good to see our ban on employing staff already in jobs doesn't stretch as far as assistant managers!

It clearly doesn't stretch as far as managers either given the fact that Gerard Houllier was already employed by the FFF.

:lol:

We didn't let him go. Anyway this thread isn't about him.

We actually did... by not showing support neither from the fans nor the players. If the club was behind him, he wouldn't have left. But remark taken, this topic isn't about him.

You don't know that.

Most fans were behind him, singing his name every game so for starters, that's bull shit.

He left because of different views with the chairman is what is said, nothing to do with fans, players.

We actually did... by not showing support neither from the fans nor the players. If the club was behind him, he wouldn't have left. But remark taken, this topic isn't about him.

You don't know that.

Most fans were behind him, singing his name every game so for starters, that's bull shit.

He left because of different views with the chairman is what is said, nothing to do with fans, players.

Where was it that I read the players weren't very upset by his departure if you know what I mean :winkold:

Well apart from the mess it left us in, i couldnt give a shite he left tbh. Anyway as Trent said, OT. Im glad Gerard will be here soon, we need him now.

Cracking opportunity this for Houllier and I bet he can't believe his luck as you rarely come into a club that as finished top 6 three times on the bounce and is still on the up given that we had our best season in a long time last season.

We are certainly weaker for having lost Milner but the likes of Clark, Albrighton, Delfouneso and Delph ( when fit ) are all more mature and Houllier will be joining at a great time to hopefully see these guys come to prominence.

He has inherited a squad still on the up. Lets hope he is good enough to continue in that direction or at least keep us where we are. As things stand today I'd be happy with another three top 6 finishes but given that people are saying he is a better manager than the previous one may be I'm underestimating what he can achieve.

Gérard Houllier confirms Villa arrival date but waits on McAllister decision

• Villa manager to be in dugout for Blackburn visit

• But he could soon be searching for fifth-choice assistant

Stuart James

guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 15 September 2010 22.30 BST

Gary McAllister is believed to be happy in his role as first-team coach with Middlesbrough. Photograph: Lee Smith/Action Images

Gérard Houllier will take charge of his first game as Aston Villa manager against Blackburn Rovers in the Carling Cup on Wednesday night but the Frenchman is still anxiously waiting to learn whether Gary McAllister will join him as his assistant.

Houllier has finally come to an agreement with the French Football Federation, where he has been under contract as technical director, which means he will not have to serve his three-month notice period in full. He will watch the Bolton Wanderers match on Saturday from the stand before taking his place in the dug-out when Villa host Blackburn four days later, although it is unclear whether McAllister, the first-team coach at Middlesbrough, will be alongside him.

Gordon Strachan, the Middlesbrough manager, is expected to clarify the situation at a press conference tomorrow, although tonight there were suggestions from within the Championship club that McAllister was giving serious consideration to remaining on Teesside and that it was far from a foregone conclusion that he would move to Villa. McAllister has built a strong bond with the Middlesbrough players and is settled in the north. He is also said to feel a sense of loyalty towards Strachan for employing him four months ago.

Houllier, who managed McAllister during his six-year reign at Anfield and once described him as his "most inspirational signing", will be desperately hoping that the Scot accepts his invitation to work with him at Villa Park. Having already been turned down by Phil Thompson, Kevin MacDonald and Patrice Bergues, the Villa manager would find himself in an embarrassing position if McAllister added his name to that list and forced him to go in search of what would be his fifth-choice candidate for the job.

McAllister has previously managed at Coventry and Leeds and is highly respected within football. He played alongside Strachan at Leeds and, in later years, under him at Coventry before making a surprise move to Liverpool in the twilight of his career that culminated in him helping the club to win the FA Cup, League Cup and Uefa Cup in 2001 with Houllier in charge. From the outset he seemed like a logical choice to become Houllier's assistant at Villa but it remains to be seen whether he will push Middlesbrough to be given that chance.

Villa will at least be relieved that the doubts surrounding when Houllier will formally take over have been removed. When he was unveiled last Friday, Houllier was unable to guarantee when his first match as manager would be and could not promise that he would have reached an agreement with the FFF before Sunday week's Premier League game at Wolverhampton Wanderers, raising the prospect of MacDonald continuing as caretaker for another couple of weeks, maybe more.

Villa confirmed today , however, that Houllier, who was unable to get to the Britannia Stadium for Monday night's defeat by Stoke City because of his commitments with the FFF, will get his tenure underway against Blackburn.

Clicky

Great article by Houllier in the Post, and in specific to the accusations of failure of France in the World Cup, he said if theres a Plane Crash, but the black box reveals it wasn't the fault of the pilot, the co pilot, a member of staff, a hostess, a steward or even a passenger but i got blamed. He says he was preparing for the next 10 years, and if we just take a look at the France youth side that won the European Championships.

Â