Houllier - released from contract with FFF

Brumerican

A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?

• Oui
    • Non
    • Undecided

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main interest will be to see who has to eat it - those asserting he will win trophies or those insisting he won't.

Nobody has to eat 'humble pie' here. This is not about scoring points mate , it is about wanting the best for the club. Disagreements definitely will arise on what actually is the best for the club , but the goal is the same.

Sorry, I was just trying to make the point that people are being a bit too firm a bit too early about whether Houllier will or won't be a success.

From my point of view, I was pleasantly surprised when he emerged as a candidate, because I was dreading having to choose from one of the names that were being bandied around (Curbishley, Sven, Southgate etc.) and even more pleased when it became clear he wasn't being lined up for some sort of "Director of Football" role. I wish him well and will support him wholeheartedly, as I am sure most Villa fans will do. We just need to be aware that he can't be expected just to march in and start repeating his past glories with Liverpool, Lyon, etc. There are some serious issues on the money side to be played out before we know our real prospects for success.

MON won the Peace Cup, last time i checked that was a trophy.

yeah, pretty sure friendly tournaments dont actually count for diddly tbh

Whilst I agree, tell that to the people who keep going on about the European Super Cup and The Charity Shield. At least the Peace Cup involves more than one game ;-) (and the prize money is exactly the same at the ESC - €2mil)

^^^Interesting article, but I'm almost certain he isn't our manager any more...:D

:-) thank god ......

The point is though a lack of activity in January does not really prove a lot other than its a difficult time to do business - or so certain managers say. I would be very surprised if we did not see at least a couple of signings in - and even 1 out, but it wont be the sign that we have this "no money" that some are saying.

The old 25 player ruling may change things this year, and reports in the press on a daily basis seem to indicate clubs are willing to dump players now in Jan - see Man City (and that is not Citeh!) this morning re. Given

The article started with "Although most observers agree that Villa's capture of Emile Heskey for £3.5 million was one of the deals of last month, and one which has strengthened the side significantly ahead of the rest of the season". I couldn't read much after that as I was too busy laughing

The message I got from Houllier is "I don't expect much from the January transfer window since there's not usually much about but we'll wait and see".

I like that approach.

Did you like it when MON said it?

..if Randy has no money left to throw in, fine no one will blame you, but then find investors who will. or look at selling up. we cant go on not spending a penny we will go back to teh dark ellis days and our players like young, gabby and dunney will go
That's the blinkered answer, IMO.

Football isn't and shouldn't be about how much money an owner or investor will throw at players. That route is utter stupidity long term.

I do accept that if you fail to spend money, then you're not going to succeed, but I don't now, and never have accepted that the owner should throw his personal money around to make the Club successful.

The idea that you change owners like some clubs change managers is ludicrous. Get this rich bloke in, when all his money's gone, throw him away and get the next one, ad infinitum. If people can't see the utter idiocy of that kind of thinking, then I despair.

That is counter to all common sense, all financial sanity and would be counter to the rules under which the club will have to operate.

What needs to happen at Villa is not simple, but there are a few basic tenets which underpin things.

1 - Don't spend more than you earn, unless the spending is on infrastructure that will pay back the "mortgage"

2 - Keep the costs for staff wages at a reasonable percentage of income - 60% or so (the UEFA max limit is 70%).

3 - Do your utmost to sustainably increase income in all areas

A business plan based around either an owner throwing money at things, or the hope that an even richer owner will come along is utterly stupid.

It's everything that is wrong with football and everything that is wrong with the thinking of some supporters.

The message I got from Houllier is "I don't expect much from the January transfer window since there's not usually much about but we'll wait and see".

I like that approach.

i saw the logic behind it then and i see the logic behind it now

the jan window is a shit time for buying players, thats why hardly anyone does and if they do then more often than not you'd add £2-3m onto the price tag

Blandy, so much sense spoken. Some people think its Monopoly, we don't generate enough income, we go on about how big we are, we can't even sell out against Bolton.

Whilst I agree with Blandy on the whole, no-one sells out when they play Bolton at Home ;-) :mrgreen:

I like that approach.

I don't recall MON saying that but if he did, then yes. I don't see what your point is here.

the jan window is a shit time for buying players, thats why hardly anyone does and if they do then more often than not you'd add £2-3m onto the price tag

I wonder whether the January market is as inflated in France as it is here in England.

I keep going back to this thinking, but Houllier must have some knowledge of up-and-coming French youth players!

lots of things about football finances

Peter I have absolutely no problem with any of that BUT in that case

The club should not go on about aiming for champions league and winning things because we wont be doing that anytime soon. (I note that they are changing their ambitions by the way)

For me I am fairly happy just vying for a place between 7 and 12 and the odd cup run here or there

The trouble is the club have set this expectation and I am afraid that in this day and age that kind of ambition takes more money than they seem prepared to spend

Â