Stephen Ireland

Richard

This was a Chelsea side who didnt get out of 2nd gear

Those waiting for SI to get "match fit" are in cloud cuckoo land, the guy is a petulant, shirker

**** him off as soon as I say

Why is he petulant and why is he a shirker?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those waiting for SI to get "match fit" are in cloud cuckoo land, the guy is a petulant, shirker

The early goal changed what the match could've been in my opinion. Ireland was caught in a sort of no-mans land, with Petrov and Delph having the unusual combo of playing very deep, yet not calling for the ball from the defence. So the ball was going over everyone's head up to Gabby who was all over the shop trying to chase a loose ball. It didn't suit anyone's game.

We saw the difference when Makoun (in particular), Bannan and Gardner came on. Makoun is constantly looking for the ball, looking for the quick pass and lay-off and brings others into play. When Makoun is in a midfield with Ireland, and Darren Bent is playing on the last defender's shoulder, I believe we'll see the best of Ireland.

I hope anyway....

Ireland will perform given the right management.

Really confused how people can't see that the most strength in depth we have is in the middle.. Petrov, Makoun, Delph, Bannan and Ireland, plus Hogg and Herd who have done themselves no harm in the first team. Added to that is Gary Gardner who will get better and better...

That's 28 Central Midfield pairings. If all of these players were to get a fair chance then I see it as 21 of these pairings are perfectly competent. The 7 you wouldn't play together being Bannan/Ireland, Bannan/Herd, Bannan/Gardner, Ireland/Herd, Ireland/Gardner, Hogg/Herd and Herd/Gardner.

In fact, if the players are 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice etc as above, I believe our '20th choice' pairing of Bannan and Hogg are perfectly competent as they proved last season.

Why are we all such Doom and Gloom merchants!?

Tad harsh imo, I know he hasn't set the world alight since arriving at VP but going on the Chelsea game and just focusing on that, his service was non existent zero continuity between defence and midfield even Chuck Norris would've struggled with some of the balls being played to him and Chuck is usually there before the balls played....

We need ball playing defenders and attacking full backs if we need to progress in the modern game, easier said than done but eye opening and alarming how many light years ahead Chelsea are,I know CL etc but still a gap of epic proportions.

We wouldn't get 5M for him

We'd be lucky to get 2 or 3M

For that money who could we get to replace him, if of course we did even bother to replace him

For me at least he is a body that maybe we could get something out of.

The early goal changed what the match could've been in my opinion. Ireland was caught in a sort of no-mans land, with Petrov and Delph having the unusual combo of playing very deep, yet not calling for the ball from the defence. So the ball was going over everyone's head up to Gabby who was all over the shop trying to chase a loose ball. It didn't suit anyone's game.

We saw the difference when Makoun (in particular), Bannan and Gardner came on. Makoun is constantly looking for the ball, looking for the quick pass and lay-off and brings others into play. When Makoun is in a midfield with Ireland, and Darren Bent is playing on the last defender's shoulder, I believe we'll see the best of Ireland.

I hope anyway....

^ This

Why is he petulant and why is he a shirker?

Because he's a spoilt brat, who needs a slap.

O/T I know, but looks like Joey Barton has been released from NUFC. Would anyone have him in on a free or would the prospect of a midfield with Barton and Ireland in it be too mental to consider?

Forget the midfield we'd have to completely rebuild Bodymoor Heath:

sallyport_sm.gif

We should have got Hughes instead of Mcleish IMO, he would know how to get the best out of Ireland.

That is like saying Chelsea should have got Benitez instead of Villas-Baos, he would know how to get the best out of Torres.

To be honest with you I'd have Barton. A great player, and I feel he has come on at lot as a person since his prior controversies. Highly doubt RL, the general or McCleish would stand for him gobbing off in public about Internal club affairs though. Obviously something is strange at NUFC though.

We should have got Hughes instead of Mcleish IMO, he would know how to get the best out of Ireland.

That is like saying Chelsea should have got Benitez instead of Villas-Baos, he would know how to get the best out of Torres.

:D