Stephen Ireland

Richard

I'm feeling good vibes this season for him, as long as he isn't asked to play in a 2 man mid and we give him a decent run we will see what a player we have!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id say itl be

1 given

4 hutton

7 ireland

8 parker

9 bent

10 n'zogbia

Then you wake up.

Would be nice if it came true tho

It would but how often are nice things coming true these days for villa. After a few years of optimism I think our chance of continued success has been blown by MON irresponsible spending! Some could blame the board for allowing him free reign but on the other hand he was a well respected manager who you'd think would be able to bring some sort of success with 90M net spend and one of the biggest wage bills in the league! Now we are left with having no idea of the caliber of player we are able to sign and no really expectation.

Back to Ireland. I think he will do well next season. You don't just turn shit overnight.

It sounds good.......But let's not get ahead of ourselves here. lol. As much as I want him to succeed, I am getting a feeling of deja-vu. After all, when we signed him, we were all singing his praises. But, I agree that the quotes seem to be a lot more positive....He hasn't exactly had a fair crack at it with us...and I think the way he left City effected him...This is a clean slate for everyone..a new manager, a new philosophy...and if AMc can get him playing for the team and showcasing the class we all know he has, then it can only be a good thing for Aston Villa as a whole. Let's face it...we all want what is best for Villa, and with Ireland feeding our most potent weapon in Bent...It could be AMc's first good move. Fingers crossed he NOW let's his football do the talking..

Well done Stephen.

We all know he has the ability, that really should not be a question. It's good to hear him saying the right things, PR or not. Don't tell me, show me etc etc, but until he starts talking the talk nobody seems willing to give him a chance to walk the walk.

Stage one completed. Looking forward to seeing him on the pitch.

Well done Stephen.

We all know he has the ability, that really should not be a question. It's good to hear him saying the right things, PR or not. Don't tell me, show me etc etc, but until he starts talking the talk nobody seems willing to give him a chance to walk the walk.

Stage one completed. Looking forward to seeing him on the pitch.

He's come out with this before and look what happened.

Anyway, I hope he comes good but not expecting much. No doubt he'll be best on the training field though.

i feel the same way about ireland as i did about NRC/luke young etc when houllier took charge...its like a new signing. he could be that creative playmaker weve been longing for for years and personally i cant wait too see what he can produce given the chance this season

So that's why he never got going here...

HE DIDN'T HAVE NUMBER 7!!!

Actually, in the bizarre world of Ireland, being given the no 7 shirt might make a really big difference. Clearly with him his mental state is key to his performance. If he is wearing his 'lucky' shirt that he has preferred from childhood we might start to see some of the near-misses from last season go in.

His comment about things not going off with the bang he wanted at the start of his career at Villa are also telling - let's hope he turns it around.

"Darren's taking no.9 and I'm taking no.7," he added. "My number has always been seven, but when I came here Ash had got that number.

"But now I've got the one I want and so has Darren so we're really happy about that.

"I've always worn the no.7 since I was a young boy and it's the number I love. It kind of is a superstitious thing.

"The no.9 probably comes with a bit more pressure but I'm sure Darren can handle that and score the goals and hopefully I can do what a number seven should and set him up for a few of them."

Sounds like a silly thing in some ways, but this might make quite a difference. Ireland has always struck me as a bit of a confidence player. If he's happy and relaxed and feels at home, then he'll be brilliant. If he feels things aren't going his way in life, he seems likely to want to sack it all off. Little things like this that make him feel at home could do the world of good.

I don't think he has ever been given a fair crack of the whip personally. Give then situation we're in, an in-form Ireland could be invaluable to us, so I'll support his calls for as second chance, even though previously I've wanted rid of him.

He's more valuable to us playing than he is being sold for pittance.

If there is one good reason why Mark Hughes should have been Aston Villa manager, this guy is it.

I cant help feeling that to get the best out of him, you have to build the side around him and give him that free role to wander and cause trouble. Hughes saw that and did it at City, for me, McLeish will be more substance over style and therefore Ireland as a luxury player will end up disappointed.

Pity as if mentally right, he could be awesome for us and be the "player in the hole" that Young never was.

Seen his interview on Sky Sports, just think he's so full of shit. And I dont believe a word that comes out of his mouth. He just bad mouthed our club and the area when he was in Geordieland.

Anyway, hope he does knuckle down. His career is at stake big time now. But wont get my hopes up..