Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that he needs to be off Gabby.

I would have also preferred it if we could ease him back into things. He didn't play much last year and had a disrupted pre-season so is not particularly match fit. We have seen, with the Chelski cast offs (Parker, Sidwell, Bridge etc.) that when you have that long effectively out of the game it takes a while to recapture your form. I would like to have seen Ireland gradually introduced through sub appearances and cup games getting up to speed with his own game and his team mates but the size of our squad unfortunately does not allow for this.

I think he will be a great asset if handled well. There is no doubt in my mind that he is a quality attacking footballer but he is also, it appears, a complex individual who needs handling properly. I hope Ged can do this.

In training highly rated and has great technique but if we don't play him in his right position will be wasted

That is reassuring at least.

I want him to succeed, naturally. I just think he'll become an £8M(?) Sasa Curcic.

I'm worried that he's a luxury player, and one that we can ill afford at present.

Fully appreciate that he's made only three appearances and is still settling in, this is not in question but, can anyone genuinely say that they've been impressed with him so far?

Honest appraisals would be appreciated, i.e. take away the fact that he's new to the club etc as those things are given already.

Completely misused in fairness.

True, but I reckon you could put Wayne Rooney at right back and still be in awe of his ability.

A top player will come across as being a top player wherever he's played....within reason.

Playing SI, who is a midfielder, in midfield should not pose a massive problem to him.

Although he's not setting the world alight upfront at the minute.

Another thing to remember is when Milner first joined he a) couldn't get into the team for the first month and B) wasn't that great when he played a few games.

"Ireland is a midfielder" is one of the biggest myths in modern football for me. He is a second striker, and he can't play anywhere else. Because of this **** misperception he keeps getting played in the wrong positions and gets slated for being an average player when he's actually a brilliant withdrawn forward.

"Ireland is a midfielder" is one of the biggest myths in modern football for me. He is a second striker, and he can't play anywhere else. Because of this **** misperception he keeps getting played in the wrong positions and gets slated for being an average player when he's actually a brilliant withdrawn forward.

Interesting :shock:

Houllier said he had a dead leg, and was doubtful. However he said Ireland was very hopefully of been fit to play.

Quote from Bannan saying SI was due to start but had a potential injury and he was put on standby the day before I think. Obviously, that injury kept him out.