Stephen Ireland

Richard

Apart from one decent run today he did sweet fa. Hopefully Houllier can get more out of him.

I'd still like to know who made the decision to sign him given we had no manager at the time.

Yeah, me too... It'd be much better if we had only got money for Milner... then we'd have the same team as we do now but WITHOUT a top player in Stephen Ireland.. that makes sense :?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But but but.......Ireland isn't a central two midfielder!

Why we have played him there is beyond me, play NRC in his place and play him in Young's place from now on please and now Ashley back out wide as apart from his goal Young was very poor imo and simply dosen't play enough throughballs for the striker in the free role.

Why we have played him there is beyond me, play NRC in his place and play him in Young's place from now on please and now Ashley back out wide as apart from his goal Young was very poor imo and simply dosen't play enough throughballs for the striker in the free role.

Nail...On...Head. Young on the left, Albrighton on the right. Downing to make way for NRC. Bannan straining at the leash on the bench and given 25 minutes towards the end.

I can't wait to see Ireland playing where he should be. He has a quick brain and feet to match. That needs to be done infornt of the opp. back four, not the opp. midfield. He also has the ability to put the ball in space to where the front man is running to. He is being wasted playing so deep.

Nail...On...Head. Young on the left, Albrighton on the right. Downing to make way for NRC. Bannan straining at the leash on the bench and given 25 minutes towards the end.

]

Downing is better than Albrighton.

]

What, because he hit the target twice during the warm up? Give me a break, his contribution to the team is negligable.

You rotate Downing and Albrighton throughout the season especially as Marc's still learning at this level.

Young imo in the free role isn't good enough, dosen't create enough for me so rather stick him out wide and get Ireland playing there.

He should've been ten yards further up the pitch today, we saw the potential with that nice run and just wide shot he did in the second half.

]

What, because he hit the target twice during the warm up? Give me a break, his contribution to the team is negligable.

No, because he's been our best outfield player twice in a row. (in my opinion) :?

]

No, because he's been our best outfield player twice in a row. (in my opinion) :?

Agree to disagree etc etc....... FWIW though, I struggled to pick one individual who I felt stood out today.

Oh come on, give Downing some credit he was a lot better than Albrighton today. I'm not sure which one I would drop but on today's performance I'd give Downing the nod (no disrespect to young Marc, just for tactical reasons he should be made to make way for NRC).

NRC-Petrov

Downing-Ireland-Young

Sorted.

Albrighton's performance today just shows how he is not ready yet and is being very over-hyped. I don't want to be overly critical about him but some of his play today was very very poor. Seems like a one trick pony to me. Can't pass, never looks up, just runs at the full back and whips in a cross to the 6 yard box even if there is nobody there.

He's just frustrating, he wasted so many opportunities due to being naive. Just runs at players and thinks he can beat 5 players by himself even when somebody is free at the other end of the pitch.

Just had to put that out there.

Albrighton's performance today just shows how he is not ready yet and is being very over-hyped. I don't want to be overly critical about him but some of his play today was very very poor. Seems like a one trick pony to me. Can't pass, never looks up, just runs at the full back and whips in a cross to the 6 yard box even if there is nobody there.

He's just frustrating, he wasted so many opportunities due to being naive. Just runs at players and thinks he can beat 5 players by himself even when somebody is free at the other end of the pitch.

Just had to put that out there.

In fairness, he played one peach of a cross-field pass to Downing mid-way through the first half. I agree other than that though, has a lot to learn.

I honestly think the best thing for Ireland is to have good attacking players all around him in midfield, and I think the best way to achieve this is to continue with Marc on the right and Young on the left, they are both so dangerous on those flanks, and tuck Downing inside with Petrov.

Playing centre-midfield will ensure that Downing doesn't have invisible spells during the game, and giving him the extra responsibility in midfield, will ensure he is more confident to use the ball.

]

Downings a better player. Albrighton is a good prospect but he has no end product whatsoever. His crossing is dreadful if you’re lucky to see a cross from him at all.

SoccerHQ is right on the money with regards to Ireland. Its a nonsense that arguably the most technically gifted player in our side needs to drop forty yards deep from the oppositions 18 yard line in order to collect the ball. His vision is excellent, but its of no use to us where he was being played. He needs to be in advanced positions.

]

Let's put the cat amongst the pigeons :D

No he isn't.

I honestly think the best thing for Ireland is to have good attacking players all around him in midfield, and I think the best way to achieve this is to continue with Marc on the right and Young on the left, they are both so dangerous on those flanks, and tuck Downing inside with Petrov.

Playing centre-midfield will ensure that Downing doesn't have invisible spells during the game, and giving him the extra responsibility in midfield, will ensure he is more confident to use the ball.

I agree that DJ can play inside but we desperately need some energy and drive in our CM and that requires NRC for me.