Stephen Ireland

Richard

I suspected Ireland couldn't hack a proper CM role. I still think he's more technically gifted than that which he replaced but he just doesn't have the nature to impose on a midfield and still get the best out of him.

We're gonna need a reshuffle if we want this midfield to perform.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed its just not going to work like this. Ash isn't exactly pulling up strings in that role either so we may aswell put him wide and put Ireland there. We badly need a proper CM who can boos games and has some footballing ability. For all my defence of him recently Petov has been poor in the last two games.

I suspected Ireland couldn't hack a proper CM role. I still think he's more technically gifted than that which he replaced but he just doesn't have the nature to impose on a midfield and still get the best out of him.

He possibly could if he had someone with more energy than Stan behind him?

Predictable.

We're going to have to move to a 3 if we're to have Ireland in there.

Predictable.

We're going to have to move to a 3 if we're to have Ireland in there.

This is true, though I think we'd need someone with a bit of height and muscle to really break play up to then allow Petrov and Ireland to work together to create attacks.

With our current team we'd need to play something like this:

-------------- Friedel ----------------

Young - Collins - Dunne - Warnock

--------------- NRC ------------------

-------- Ireland - Petrov ------------

Albrighton ---------------------- Ash

-------------- Gabby -----------------

I think we'd be better suited just playing NRC and Petrov in the centre then letting Ireland have Ash's free role behind the striker.

Houllier, buy us the next Patrick Viera from the French Youth set-up !

Ireland is just not a midfielder who plays deep. Watching him today, no offence but his movement when the players in defence have the ball is non existant. He doesn't want the ball deep, he wants to pick up the play in position like where he had his shot, not 40 yards from our own goal with 10 man behind the ball to pick a pass through.

If we are going to get the best of Stephen Ireland then we need to allow him to do what he does best and not expect him to be a player that he is never and will never be. That means we have to have a CM partner that will enable him to play his game and do the defensive side of the game that he clearly isn't capable of doing.

That means we must have a genuine defensive midfielder/ball winner who is both willing and able to sit deep, win the ball and give it to those responsible for being the creative influences in the team, namely Stephen Ireland and the wingers.

Sadly we don't have that player so that needs to be a priority for Houllier in January or more likely the summer, until then we are going to have to make do as best we can. Making do best we can means NRC alongside Ireland and no place for Petrov if we want to get the best from Ireland the only alternative I can see is that there can be no place for Ireland in the team in a 442 formation. The only other option being a switch to a 4-5-1 formation which is certainly a possibility.

Ireland is just not a midfielder who plays deep. Watching him today, no offence but his movement when the players in defence have the ball is non existant. He doesn't want the ball deep, he wants to pick up the play in position like where he had his shot, not 40 yards from our own goal with 10 man behind the ball to pick a pass through.

THIS. It's like playing Cuellar at right back ;)

If we are going to get the best of Stephen Ireland then we need to allow him to do what he does best and not expect him to be a player that he is never and will never be. That means we have to have a CM partner that will enable him to play his game and do the defensive side of the game that he clearly isn't capable of doing.

That means we must have a genuine defensive midfielder/ball winner who is both willing and able to sit deep, win the ball and give it to those responsible for being the creative influences in the team, namely Stephen Ireland and the wingers.

Sadly we don't have that player so that needs to be a priority for Houllier in January or more likely the summer, until then we are going to have to make do as best we can. Making do best we can means NRC alongside Ireland and no place for Petrov if we want to get the best from Ireland the only alternative I can see is that there can be no place for Ireland in the team in a 442 formation. The only other option being a switch to a 4-5-1 formation which is certainly a possibility.

I'd rather see a 4-5-1 personally. We're not too clever up front, but we do have players there that can pay as a target man (both traditional target men and pacey target men).

Ireland struggled to make a significant impact on the game today, but what he did do on the ball was neat and tidy.

He did show some magic where he skinned a few players and then just slotted it wide!

Hopefully Houllier notices that he can be a great attacking asset if used properly.

He has great feet and vision so I'd like to think that he can be more effective than Ash in a role behind the striker.

Reading this thread is like reading Bluemoon a year or so ago, with the same opinions on Ireland being trotted out.

The fact is, Ireland can play in a small patch of the pitch just behind and to the right of the striker. Even then, he blows hot and cold. Ireland had his best ever time at City when he had the flair of Robinho to play off of, without this he mostly looks lost.

Also, don't talk about his fishtank, he's a sensitive lad on that issue.

Reading this thread is like reading Bluemoon a year or so ago, with the same opinions on Ireland being trotted out.

The fact is, Ireland can play in a small patch of the pitch just behind and to the right of the striker. Even then, he blows hot and cold. Ireland had his best ever time at City when he had the flair of Robinho to play off of, without this he mostly looks lost.

He's playing almost holding midfielder at the moment, we buy a player known for creating and scoring goals, even if it's inconsistantly and currently we are limiting him too not even being allowed to do either of those!

I'd like to see Ashley Young back on the left wing, with Ireland in the middle and try to replicate the kind of synergy Robinho and Ireland had at Citeh.

I'd like to see Ashley Young back on the left wing, with Ireland in the middle and try to replicate the kind of synergy Robinho and Ireland had at Citeh.

Please. Please. :(

Young provide the width on the left, sometimes changing with Downing though, (sometimes, not too regularly)....Downing on the right, playing more inside. Linking up closer to Ireland. Gabby up top. Petrov, Reo-Coker sitting the midfield.

Please just do it GH.