Stephen Ireland

Richard

Petrov is our best CM at the moment. I don't understand people leaving him out of their teams that they post here.

I don't understand how anybody can say this. What does he do that makes him our best CM'er?? Nice hair do? Good tan? I just don't see it and the results are supporting this, especially in a 4-4-2 where he is particularly exposed.

Last dozen or so games of 08/09 he was shown up in a CM pairing of him and Barry. Last season this was somewhat masked by Milner's energy BUT our best performance in a 4-4-2 was the drubbing of Bolton at VP and he wasn't involved! This season, since Jimmy has moved on, he has been exposed again.

Bollocks was that our best performance, I'd say the games against United, Chelsea and Liverpool away were better performances.

He might be a reasonable footballer (although I am really struggling to see this fine array of passing that many speak of) but he has no energy or drive and is not working in our current sides. Football is about balance and Petrov in a two is poor unless he has a beast of a partner like Milner. Maybe in a three he can do a job.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bollocks was that our best performance, I'd say the games against United, Chelsea and Liverpool away were better performances.

I assume you mean Utd away. Great result and professional job but not a great performance for me. We scored a great goal on the counter attack and then were backs to the wall for the rest of the game and Utd looked somewhat deficient - no attacking threat from CM and Rooney didn't get any breaks. Liverpool away was a very good performance BUT with a three including NRC - probably our best away performance as we snuffed them out and thoroughly deserved the win. Chelski at home was very good for the first hour and then we faded badly and it was only their poor finishing that prevented them gaining a point or three.

Maybe I should have said most dominant performance for the Bolton game. We were on top for the whole 90 minutes.

I assume you mean Utd away. Great result and professional job but not a great performance for me. We scored a great goal on the counter attack and then were backs to the wall for the rest of the game and Utd looked somewhat deficient - no attacking threat from CM and Rooney didn't get any breaks.

Bollocks. They had one real opportunity in the entire 90 and Rooney muffed it. It was not a siege at all and we were comfortable, even in injury time. Although there was a collective shitting of our pants in the away end as history at their place would dictate!

Petrov is our best CM at the moment. I don't understand people leaving him out of their teams that they post here.

I don't understand how anybody can say this. What does he do that makes him our best CM'er?? Nice hair do? Good tan? I just don't see it and the results are supporting this, especially in a 4-4-2 where he is particularly exposed.

Last dozen or so games of 08/09 he was shown up in a CM pairing of him and Barry. Last season this was somewhat masked by Milner's energy BUT our best performance in a 4-4-2 was the drubbing of Bolton at VP and he wasn't involved! This season, since Jimmy has moved on, he has been exposed again.

He might be a reasonable footballer (although I am really struggling to see this fine array of passing that many speak of) but he has no energy or drive and is not working in our current sides. Football is about balance and Petrov in a two is poor unless he has a beast of a partner like Milner. Maybe in a three he can do a job.

it's not worth arguing. if you truly believe everything you've written there then it doesn't matter what i write because you're blind to it.

it's not worth arguing. if you truly believe everything you've written there then it doesn't matter what i write because you're blind to it.

Seems a bit of a kop out? You are probably right that you will struggle to convince me (as it appears I with you) but I would like to hear why you think that he is our best CM'er and your counter arguments to mine about balance etc..

----------------- NRC -----------------

----------------------- Downing -------

------------ SI ------------------------

That midfield is too weak IMO. Playing Downing there wouldn't be a terrible idea but with Petrov and NRC (still don't think that would be a great option either).

Seems a bit of a kop out? You are probably right that you will struggle to convince me (as it appears I with you) but I would like to hear why you think that he is our best CM'er and your counter arguments to mine about balance etc..

In short I think he's our best all round central midfielder. NRC may tackle better and have a bit more energy, but he's shite at passing and is much less creative. Ireland might pass better but he has less energy and can't tackle as well.

Couple that with some of the best technique out of anyone on the team coupled with some decent leadership skills (although Dunne should be captain IMO) and you have our best central midfielder.

Over the past 2 and a bit seasons he's been on eo four most consistent performers.

Do you really think NRC or Ireland (at the moment, I recognise Ireland's potential once he's settled) or Delph (again I recognise his potential but whilst he's shown prommise fo rus he's far from the finished article) are better than petrov? (I'm assuming our other CMs don't come into the equation)

I struggle to understand it if you do.

I don't think we have a best central midfielder. They are all good if used right, they are all different. All different types of midfielders which in my opinion would all work well together. It's not like a Barry/Petrov situation, where both are so similar, we have 4 very different good midfielders in Petrov, Coker, Delph, Ireland. Hopefully used right. (obvs Delph is injured)

I don't think you get the best out of any in a 2 man midfield, I'd say Reo-Coker copes best with a 2 central because I think he's an all round central midfielder, where as Ireland is an attacking midfielder, Petrov a defensive midfielder but even then, I don't think he's good enough to play a role in a 2 and for Villa to be a top 6 side any more.

Why do people assume Delph will be a defensive midfielder, the man can't tackle, he has quick feet and an eye for a goal but hey lets put him as a defensive midfielder.

Who has said Delph will be defensive mid?

I feel he should play in a midfield three of him, NRC and Ireland. With Ireland being the attacking player and Delph and NRC being the box to box player they are. Although in the games against more attacking opposition we should play NRC more defensive.

petrov is so one dimentional and slow. my god almost as slow as barry. he is average at passing and doesnt create much. think we need to look at a new dm or when delph returns give him a try

There you go and to be fair i've heard it before about sticking Delph as a DM.

Stephen Ireland is confident that Gerard Houllier will help get the best out of him at Aston Villa.

New boss Houllier watched from the stands on Saturday as Villa were held to a 1-1 draw with Bolton.

The Frenchman officially takes charge on Monday and Ireland is looking forward to working with the former Liverpool chief.

"I think the change is going to have to be gradual," he said.

"Managers at other clubs have come in and changed things too fast too soon and it hasn't worked.

"I know Houllier has got big plans, and all the players will have to get on board. Hopefully we can go far in the cups and have a nice finish in the league.

"I'm happy with the appointment and everyone is looking forward to the future.

"Hopefully he can get the best out of me. The fans still have more to see. I'm still getting to understand the players on the pitch."

http://tinyurl.com/37rdsfy

Not sure if I like commnts like that "He can get the most out of me"

Sounds a bit like he's been reading too many papers saying manager might struggle to get him playing and believes it. It's something others can say, but I personally want our players to be driven and want to play well themselves, not let someone else sort a system that works round them.

Having said that, I think Ireland has looked OK so far. He's got such good control of the ball and once we have a settled team I think he should shine.

We really are easily pleased aren't we.

It says it all really that before I even viewed this thread I knew there would be multiple posts concerning the 20 yard run he went on.

That was all he did in what, 75 minutes?

I remember Ulisys De La Cruz doing something similar once......it may have even ended up as a goal, bring him back.

No, the point I made was that he would have more chance of more good runs like that if he was played just off a striker e.g. ten yards further up the pitch rather than being on the halfway line all the time.

My number one priority, and I hope GH agrees, is a defensive midfielder in the January window. Stephen Ireland needs to play further forward with the new signing behind him. Oh, and we also need another forward.

I have a feeling you might just get your wish there. GH has always deployed a strong, quality defensive midfielder in his teams. Dietmar Hamann, Mahamadou Diarra, Jeremy Toulalan...

I think a defensive CM will be made a priority in January, remains to see what kind of quality we can get.