Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

world class? Seriously, I think that is way way way over the top.

How much did O'neill pay for him? Wasn't it 6 million rising to 8 million? You don't pay that much money for an 18 year old unless you believe he could be very special. Delph may well be.

Yes he did. All that proves though is that O'Neill thought he had potential nothing more.

I could list countless players that managers have spent a great deal of money on because they thought they could be very special only to find out they weren't. I won't produce a list but I will give one example, Arsene Wenger paying £8m for Francis Jeffers.

Delph may well be special, hell he might already be but none of us have seen enough of him in our colours yet to know one way or another.

It is then rather daft to be using phrases like world class about him besides the term 'world class' is in itself a rather daft phrase in any case.

world class? Seriously, I think that is way way way over the top.

How much did O'neill pay for him? Wasn't it 6 million rising to 8 million? You don't pay that much money for an 18 year old unless you believe he could be very special. Delph may well be.

Yes he did. All that proves though is that O'Neill thought he had potential nothing more.

I could list countless players that managers have spent a great deal of money on because they thought they could be very special only to find out they weren't. I won't produce a list but I will give one example, Arsene Wenger paying £8m for Francis Jeffers.

Delph may well be special, hell he might already be but none of us have seen enough of him in our colours yet to know one way or another.

It is then rather daft to be using phrases like world class about him besides the term 'world class' is in itself a rather daft phrase in any case.

"Delph may well be special," it's going to be exciting following his development if he is. Surely that all fans ask isn't it.

People forget this lad had one of the worst injuries a footballer could have...he was rushed back by Houllier when not fully fit and then was left out again which would have knocked his confidence. He has now had a full pre season and this season will be a massive one for him. For me he will develop into a class midfielder if he can steer clear of injuries.

Def Think Ina year or two him asnd Gardner will be a great midfield...?

Has Gardner been playing for the reserves - how has he played this season.

Could be. Would need a strong DCM'er behind them to allow them to play.

If you threw a ball down in a crowded room that contained Delph and Gardner, you'd bet on them claiming it.

We know Delph's aggressive desire to win the ball, and having watched Gardner live for the reserves a number of times he also doesn't take prisoners.

You're right though about a strong sitting DCM because both Delph and Gardner have a considerable goal threat and need to attack the box.

To say great in 2 or 3 years is possible, but a lot can go wrong in 3 years. Although personally I think the 2 of them could do a job for us this season. They are both very good passers, both have a good shot on them, and both get stuck in.

Started quietly and then then grew into game......looked a decent prospect but will still need more games. Deserved yellow card though, you just can't make scissor tackles like that..Needs to work on that area as could quiet easily get sent off which would cost us.

A good start to the season, he was better today and showed good skill, passing and strength.

Hopefully with experience he will get better as the season does progress.

Petrov won't be dropped as Club Captain so the shirt is his to lose.

At the moment I still think Bannan looks more ready but that's just my opinion. If Delph does become class then I certainly won't be complaining.

Just don't see the Bannan thing been around the squad for 2 years now and has struggled to break through....he also couldn't get into the Leeds team after a few matches starting for them.

At the moment I still think Bannan looks more ready but that's just my opinion. If Delph does become class then I certainly won't be complaining.

Just don't see the Bannan thing been around the squad for 2 years now and has struggled to break through....he also couldn't get into the Leeds team after a few matches starting for them.

He still needs improving that's a given (lol Given... :bonk: ) but his distribution of the ball is quality and the way he zips about a lot with his short passes is neat too, I'm yet to buy into the Delph hype tbh but like I said I'd be happy for Delph to win me over.

"Delph may well be special," it's going to be exciting following his development if he is. Surely that all fans ask isn't it.

Indeed. As I said though, calling him 'world class' is just a bit daft.

Now I never said he was world class right now, mind you....

But I think he could be another Patrick Viera in all honesty.

Daft, maybe, but nothing wrong with a bit of optimism!

How much did O'neill pay for him? Wasn't it 6 million rising to 8 million? You don't pay that much money for an 18 year old unless you believe he could be very special.

O'Neill would pay 8m for a one-legged guy off the street so long as he was British. That doesnt prove a thing.

I actually agree that Delph could be top class but that's not a good argument.

I'd start him tonight just to keep his run going and to familiarise himself further with being first choice for Villa. Not to mention he'd run rings around Hereford on his own.

I'd start him tonight just to keep his run going and to familiarise himself further with being first choice for Villa. Not to mention he'd run rings around Hereford on his own.

Is it worth risking him for the Wolves game Bri? As you say, he's a certain starter at this moment in time.

Â