Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Pretty crap thing to do by a player who has been either injured or garbage or both for 90% of his time here and yet was never dumped on throughout ....... but that's football today and it doesn't surprise me.

Not sure he'll be well received next time he pulls on a Villa shirt !!!

Pretty crap thing to do by a player who has been either injured or garbage or both for 90% of his time here and yet was never dumped on throughout ....... but that's football today and it doesn't surprise me.

Very much no he won't.

He's not even that good of a player. I really don't think we've missed him in the past 2 games he hasn't played. Just doesn't do enough for me. I genuinely think we're his level. 

• Like 1

yep agree with that teh rumours where he will go are quite funny. I dont think he is good enough to get in any of the top 8 Premier League midfields and he will either go onto their bench or will end up at a team like Newcastle or Stoke

Very much no he won't.

He's not even that good of a player. I really don't think we've missed him in the past 2 games he hasn't played. Just doesn't do enough for me. I genuinely think we're his level. 

You're very much in the minority if you think he's crap and that we haven't missed him

• Like 1

I'm not saying he's crap. I'm saying he's not that good and a club like Villa are his level.

It's all well and good bursting past a few players but when you have no final ball what's the point? He barely scores, barely assists, and is hardly the best tackler. He can keep things simple and move the ball on, but so can Westwood and Cleverley. His biggest asset is his engine imo. 

Have we really missed him? I'm not so sure we have. In the two games he's been out I struggle to see how having him in the first 11 would have made any difference whatsoever. Now, don't get me wrong, if we could keep him I'd love too because we need squad depth. But I don't think he's really a step above Westwood/Cleverly. He's certainly no Milner. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

I genuinely think we're his level. 

I am sure it won’t be too long until we find out as I fully expect a club that finishes top 8 will be in for him come the end of the season.

I personally think Delph is a very good player. He rarely gives the ball away, is able to drive forward and cruise past opposing players with ease and is able to pick a pass. Every time I watch him for us I see him getting frustrated with a lack of movement in front of him and the need to then pass sideways or backwards. That lack of movement has been very evident pretty much since Carew, Young and Downing departed. You can’t criticize a player for passing sideways and backwards when there is so little movement up top.

Delph will only become a better player with better players around him and he will thrive in a team that has more ambition than simply looking to survive.

Good luck to the lad if/when he does go. I’d love him to stay but the way things are he’d be much better off taking his chances at a club with some ambition. 

• Like 1

Well he seems to split opinion...I personally think he's a class act and will go on to become a regular starter for England.

dont think he is awful but he isnt brilliant or top class. He has less league goals than Cleverley got in one season at Wigan, thats really not good enough for what is meant to be our "dynamic midfielder"

last season for example he got less goals than Richardson, Sidwell, Shelvey, Bacuna and Fernandinho among others and got the same amount as Joe Cole, Westwood

I genuinely think we're his level. 

I am sure it won’t be too long until we find out as I fully expect a club that finishes top 8 will be in for him come the end of the season.

I personally think Delph is a very good player. He rarely gives the ball away, is able to drive forward and cruise past opposing players with ease and is able to pick a pass.

I usually agree with a lot of what you say Mark but I have to strongly disagree here. I don't think he has very good vision and lacks any kind of creativity. When he does get himself into dangerous areas he usually over hits a pass or blasts the ball over the bar. He's neat and tidy in the middle of the park, but in crucial areas he's sporadic. I agree with lack of movement is a problem with our midfield, but I don't think Delph has the vision to pick out a pass if someone did make a good run. For me he's a box to box midfielder, but isn't necessarily that great at either box (if that makes sense).

I think he will be better when around better players, every players in the world will be. But I very much see him going the way of Rodwell TBH. 

Edited by PieFacE

This is the clubs fault, not Delphs.

Why would anyone want to stay here in the current situation?  We're headed nowhere (apart from down maybe?) quickly and Delph is now an England international.  We can't say to him, we'll invest in the team, because we won't.  So we expect him to sign a new deal, potentially minimise the clubs interested in buying him from us, to play for a crap team and be happy finishing 15th in the league?

I'd be off like a shot.

This sums it up quite nicely. An owner that's looking to sell the club means no money which means no progress or ambition. The best you can hope to achieve at Villa is to tread water in mid-table. Until Lerner goes this will continue to be the case.

I rate him very highly but i blame neither the club nor the player. What decent player would want to stay at a club who are in limbo and only going one way at present. Seen it happen before in the 80s with Hodge and Mcmahon. 

Delph's distribution and final ball isn't good enough for a top team. But, the sad fact is that he could do a lot better than playing for Villa, he's too good for us. 

True but on the ball theres few better players in the Premier League. 

Delph's distribution and final ball isn't good enough for a top team. But, the sad fact is that he could do a lot better than playing for Villa, he's too good for us.

True but on the ball theres few better players in the Premier League.

Agreed

Angry about this.

Firstly, hrs been with us for nearly 7 years, in that time he has had so many injuries it got to the point I forgot he even played for us

Secondly, he may not be all that, he jumps into tackles and gets booked every other game bug he's still our best midfielder.

Thirdly - How on earth does it get to stage where were on the verge of losing our best players for **** all when we've signed up a player who has done **** all in 4 years, and a manager who's record breaking has been exceptional but in a bad way.

Joke. Joke of a club under the joke of an owner with a joke of a manager.

I remember I used to get shouted down a bit in the past when I said that I don't think he is a particularly good footballer. I still stand by that. One thing he has improved on in the last year though has been his short passing game, he no longer is a liability on the ball, and he now generally clocks up respectable pass-success rates.

For this reason, it's possible that he could serve as a defensive-midfielder in a top team although I'm not convinced. As a box-to-box midfielder then no, I don't believe he would be good enough for them due to his well documented lack of end-product.

Ultimately, I'd say his level is a Europa League club like Spurs or Everton. Which is still a significant step up from a club in our position of course.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

Â