Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

He was able to control a pass, and find a team mate under pressure, without losing the ball or lumping it to nowhere. The only player in our team capable of it in the first half. Spurs players were all doing it. But it's easier if your team goes out onto the pitch with the mentality of trying to pass and move in attack, rather than just defend and break.

Edited by Kingfisher

He was again man of the match today by some distance. Love his drive and determination.

He picked up his 4th booking today though so given the way he plays I'd expect a ban to be coming with in the next few weeks. We will certainly miss him as he has been our best player this season and best midfielder by a country mile.

Edited by markavfc40

The only player in the final third who tried to make things happen. Still can't shoot and sometimes over elaborates his mazy runs Ashley Young style but is our best player this season outside Benteke and Guzan.

His confidence in regards to taking players on is clearly at an all time high.

I do agree that he gets a bit wasteful when in the final third but he himself has pointed this out as a problem he wants to fix. I personally think its excellent for him to acknowledge his own faults.

Edited by samjp26

thought he was good yesterday but have 1 criticism and that is he holds onto it a bit longer than needed though his ability to win free kicks would be brilliant if we could convert some

I think that has something to do with the lack of movement from the other midfielders, sometimes he has no choice.

I have to say, I have no idea why this guy keeps getting votes in our reactions threads.

I've never seen a player run so hard and so far and achieve so little. 

A typical Delph performance for mine:

Run, run, tackle, run, bad pass, run, run, dribble and lose it, run, win ball but then give it away, run, run, draw a foul trying to take on 6 opposition players (that's not a compliment), run, tackle, lose ball, run, pass backwards, run, run, lose ball again. Then always a brain explosion in the final 5 mins to pick up a yellow card.

He's like a shit Ian Taylor that gives the ball away and doesn't score goals.

Edited by mwj

I have to say, I have no idea why this guy keeps getting votes in our reactions threads.

I've never seen a player run so hard and so far and achieve so little. 

A typical Delph performance for mine:

Run, run, tackle, run, bad pass, run, run, dribble and lose it, run, win ball but then give it away, run, run, draw a foul trying to take on 6 opposition players (that's not a compliment), run, tackle, lose ball, run, pass backwards, run, run, lose ball again. Then always a brain explosion in the final 5 mins to pick up a yellow card.

He's like a shit Ian Taylor that gives the ball away and doesn't score goals.

I am probably somewhere in between this and a lot of the other stuff that is going around, because Delph has come a long way in the last year. Ian Taylor played for a really good side and Delph plays for a team that has two other good players. Apart from Guzan and Benteke, and perhaps Delph, not a single player from our squad would have been picked up by a top 10-team IMO. Delph was always a talent but that injury messed things up for his development, and for me it is just a period of games that has enhanced his game and not the magic of Paul Lambert that some are referring to. Sure he is giving games to Delph, but the player would always unearth his ability as long as he played more than two games on the trot before getting injured again. A bit like Ramsey at Arsenal, last season nobody believed in him but now he is really starting to cover some ground. Then you have Anderson (Man U) and Diaby (Arsenal) who probably lost their careers due to injuries and never being able to cope with the tempo as they have to start from scratch every single time.

Delph overrated? Nope. Delph for England? Still no. Being good for Villa is nowhere near the same as automatically being good enough for England when we see all the talent in there. Southampton-fans are probably doing just the same for Adam Lallana, but is he good enough for England? Maybe so, but there are a few players you would have to surpass before the WC in Brazil next season! Ross Barkley is there for his sheer talent and not so much for his current ability, but the experience he will get is vital for his future involvement. Barkley (19) is not that much better than Delph (23), and neither of them are going to play in Brazil even though they make the squad.

Keep it up Fabian, stay clear of injuries, learn how to score 5+ goals each season and drop that silly yellow card at the end of each game and we have a gem.

• Like 2

I still maintain he needs to provide a little more offensive quality to his game. His dribbles are great but rarely come to anything and you still never really expect him to produce any sort of killer pass. Getting himself into more goalscoring positions would be nice too. If he could improve in these aspects then he really would be the complete midfielder.

I still maintain he needs to provide a little more offensive quality to his game. His dribbles are great but rarely come to anything and you still never really expect him to produce any sort of killer pass. Getting himself into more goalscoring positions would be nice too. If he could improve in these aspects then he really would be the complete midfielder.

As it's a team game that might happen when his midfield partners rediscover their form; Westwood in particular. We can't look at Delph's game without taking into account those around him. For example, thanks to Vlaar, Delph was one of our best centre backs against Spurs.
  • Like 1

Â