Nathan Delfouneso

Ulver

Fonz did very little when he came on, but to be fair to him every Villa player did very little after that point in the game. He can hardly supply the ball to himself if we're constantly giving the ball away in midfield and our own third.

Gabby was similarly anonymous for much of the game, the difference being was that he had 70 more minutes than Nathan had in which to contribute something. One of them happened to be the setup for the penalty but he only did one or two good things apart from that.

I don't know whether to put the blame on him or Young for not stopping Nani's cross for the second goal. He was facing him and Young behind, but none of them made a decent attempt to get close.

Its nothing to do with being fair to him and has nothing to do with the other players out there, he was walking around making little effort.

He's a striker, not a centre mid. Not all forwards can be like Gabby, and even fewer can do anything if not provided with the ball. As for effort, at least he was attempting to defend Nani's cross, unlike our right back who was distracted until too late. Blaming our draw on a 19-year-old centre forward instead of our team's mentality late in games, as some are doing in the match thread, is a touch ludicrous. Yes, he could've done better, particularly with that pass to Lichaj near the end, but really, the whole team could've done so much more, short of Downing and Albrighton.

All he had to do was run his nuts off for 15 minute and not let their defenders settle. We didn't require him to hold up the ball, score a goal or any heroics - he just needed to work hard for the team and put pressure on the Utd defence........

It just looked like he couldn't be arsed.

Why? What has age got to do with anything? We weren't expecting him to show composure under pressure for a difficult chance. We are talking about putting some bloody effort in and running rather than walking around the pitch his age has nothing to do with it.

Imo young should have stopped the cross fonz was just a body, GH was spot on not starting him, if gabby was 100% i doubt he'd have come on at all

Id rather the lad played well every other week and made it in the end rather than score a great goal once a year against us, hardly ever play and look like macheda, dont write him off too soon, the talents there the rest can be worked at id rather that than the other way round

He's 19 FFS. Give him a break.

thats alright then, everyone... he is 19, it doent matter what he does.

no one minds a player having a shitter, it happens, but no effort? no excuses and age? he is 19 not 5, he should be even fiter and have more energy than any of the other players.

instead brad friedel would have put more effort into it.

It will be a while before I write off Delfouneso, I really like him, but he didn't acknowledge his defensive duties today, maybe he's annoyed at being dropped? Who knows.. He's got to learn to track back - much like Albrighton has done - even as a striker.

I think that Gabby was outstanding today, particularly for how he took the squad up fighting with Vidic. When he was substituted we went down, Delfouneso wasn't able neither to take the ball nor to defend, as he demonstrated with his poor opposition to Nani in occasion of their equalizer. And Vidic was the man who scored not by chance but just because Delfouneso didn't engage him at all.

I think that Gabby was outstanding today, particularly for how he took the squad up fighting with Vidic. When he was substituted we went down, Delfouneso wasn't able neither to take the ball nor to defend, as he demonstrated with his poor opposition to Nani in occasion of their equalizer. And Vidic was the man who scored not by chance but just because Delfouneso didn't engage him at all.

This.

He might be only 19 but that does not excuse him from not making team effort. Houllier drops Ireland because he doesn't track back and defend as it's a team game so what does Delfouneso do? Come on, stroll around, **** up a few route one passes and doesn't help in preventing a goal when he should have done so.

The kid has potential but he's not using it to his advantage as he just strolls around the pitch expecting the ball to come to him. He has nowhere near the same kind of presence as Gabby, and, in my opinion, it's no coincidence that as soon as he came on the game went to shit.

I'm not writing him off at all just saying he didn't work very hard at all when he came on.

Agreed. I was quite upset and dissapointed by him when he came on TBH. Should really have been running his b*llocks off, pressuring their defenders, but he just seemed to swan about.

Was not impressed.

Unbelievable slagging of a 19 yr old who has only played a handful of games at this level for not having an amazing game against one of the best teams in the world.

:?

you seem to be confusing effort with performance GL.

We're not slagging him per se. We're (well me and some others anyway) unhappy with the perceived lack of effort/workrate he put in when he came on, that's all.

I think you are reading things that aren't there to be honest. First, nobody is slagging him off. Second, nobody is being critical of his impact on the game. People are critical of his effort and it doesn't matter how old you are or how many games you have played effort should be the bare minimum anyone puts in, it should never be called into question yet today I think a fair number of people who watched that game would question his effort.

That is perfectly reasonable regardless of his experience or age simply because he is young or inexperienced should not make him immune to scrutiny or indeed criticism. To be honest I find it amazing that you feel his effort was good enough in the time he was on the pitch or that because he is only 19 a lack of effort is somehow ok.

He could have worked harder but I'm certainly not writing him off because of a 15 minute game vs Man United.

Neither am I or Jon or anyone else I'd imagine who has been critical of him today.

For years, everyone mentions his best work is in the box so at 19, there are going to be parts to his game that aren't there, otherwise, he'd be playing week in, week out.

Fair point. I would though say that effort shouldn't be one of those things.

Unfortunately I think he's had his chance, in these two games to impress houllier. Doesn't work hard enough and doesn't want to cover enough ground, ash may well be a pre-madonna but he'll always put players under pressure.

Shame cause I had high hopes for him but people have been worried about his work ethic for a long while.

Â