Nathan Delfouneso

Ulver

I think you are reading things that aren't there to be honest. First, nobody is slagging him off. Second, nobody is being critical of his impact on the game. People are critical of his effort and it doesn't matter how old you are or how many games you have played effort should be the bare minimum anyone puts in, it should never be called into question yet today I think a fair number of people who watched that game would question his effort.

That is perfectly reasonable regardless of his experience or age simply because he is young or inexperienced should not make him immune to scrutiny or indeed criticism. To be honest I find it amazing that you feel his effort was good enough in the time he was on the pitch or that because he is only 19 a lack of effort is somehow ok.

I cant say that I thought he was lacking effort to be honest, yeh **** up with delaying the cross so long, but not through lack of effort, more lack of experience.

Guess I'll just have to agree to disagree cause I think he did OK for his time on the pitch.

I cant say that I thought he was lacking effort to be honest, yeh **** up with delaying the cross so long, but not through lack of effort, more lack of experience.

Guess I'll just have to agree to disagree cause I think he did OK for his time on the pitch.

I've not been critical of any thing he did such as not stopping Nani or delaying the cross. That side of his game, fair enough he is young.

If you don't agree with the effort thing its fair enough its all about opinions but for me he was just strolling around and not chasing or pressuring people up top and it was a marked difference from Gabby so stood out.

If you are able watch the 15 mins back again and just watch him closely and see if you see it any different, I'll be doing that as well but it does seem I'm not alone in my view on it.

Don't really have a problem with Delfounso, just think he need to know how to lead the line a front for us, you could see once Gabby went off, we couldn't hold the ball up and his decision making could be a bit better. He only 19 and I think if he shows enough commitment, he could be a regular for Villa soon enough. His attitude seem spot on, I think if he take Gabby as a role model he be fine as Gabby seem to improve every season for us, adding a new dimension to his game. Think its incredible some people are writing him off already.

I've not been critical of any thing he did such as not stopping Nani or delaying the cross. That side of his game, fair enough he is young.

If you don't agree with the effort thing its fair enough its all about opinions but for me he was just strolling around and not chasing or pressuring people up top and it was a marked difference from Gabby so stood out.

If you are able watch the 15 mins back again and just watch him closely and see if you see it any different, I'll be doing that as well but it does seem I'm not alone in my view on it.

I was there and dont have sky to record it, but i'll watch what I can on motd if they even show any of him.

I just dont think he was as bad as people are making out.

He could have worked harder but I'm certainly not writing him off because of a 15 minute game vs Man United.

Neither am I or Jon or anyone else I'd imagine who has been critical of him today.

For years, everyone mentions his best work is in the box so at 19, there are going to be parts to his game that aren't there, otherwise, he'd be playing week in, week out.

Fair point. I would though say that effort shouldn't be one of those things.

I saw a comment from selly oak, so it was aimed more towards that. Sorry.

I don't think he was lazy, he could of worked harder but being a goalscorer all his life, I really doubt he's gone through his years having to chase people down regularly because he's always scored goals. Especially harsh to judge his work ethic when he's replacing one of the most hard working strikers in the league.

It's also harder as a substitute to sort of get into the heat and pace of the game. Even Gabby on Wednesday, he barely touched it or even ran, I wouldn't call him lazy.

Especially harsh to judge his work ethic when he's replacing one of the most hard working strikers in the league.

It's also harder as a substitute to sort of get into the heat and pace of the game.

Valid points actually those.

i just wish he'd "run around more/put himself about more" when he came on, if you get me.

For me the difference between him and gabby was very noticeable though, when he came on, in terms of "effort".

Especially harsh to judge his work ethic when he's replacing one of the most hard working strikers in the league.

It's also harder as a substitute to sort of get into the heat and pace of the game.

i just wish he'd "run around more/put himself about more" when he came on, if you get me.

For me the difference between him and gabby was very noticeable though, when he came on, in terms of "effort".

But then against Blackpool, you could say the opposite in my opinion.

Some people's idea of 'working hard' is different though. Me personally, I close down a defender, I'll see that as hard work, other players I've played with have run from side to side, even past me as I wonder over to a full back to chase the ball. :lol:

I look back and think 'that was lazy' but during the game, It's almost as I think 'I'm not going to get that, there's no point' where some players have some attitude of 'MUST. GET. THERE.' It is definitely something that can adjusted in time if Houllier believes he doesn't work hard enough.

having to chase people down regularly because he's always scored goals. Especially harsh to judge his work ethic when he's replacing one of the most hard working strikers in the league.

That is fair comment.

It's also harder as a substitute to sort of get into the heat and pace of the game. Even Gabby on Wednesday, he barely touched it or even ran, I wouldn't call him lazy.

Not so sure about that. Yes its harder to get up to the pace of a game and to be as involved as the other players its not hard to run, work, chase and rush defenders.

Gabby may not have got much of the ball on Wednesday but he did do these things and these were the things missing from Delfounesso today in my view.

But then against Blackpool, you could say the opposite in my opinion.

Some people's idea of 'working hard' is different though. Me personally, I close down a defender, I'll see that as hard work, other players I've played with have run from side to side, even past me as I wonder over to a full back to chase the ball. :lol:

I look back and think 'that was lazy' but during the game, It's almost as I think 'I'm not going to get that, there's no point' where some players have some attitude of 'MUST. GET. THERE.' It is definitely something that can adjusted in time if Houllier believes he doesn't work hard enough.

i think it was the opinion of most, fonz had been poor at best and then came good and was taken off, wrongly in most peoples view.

just like today, he came on and did **** all, again, in a lot of peoples views.

so i cant understand some people trying to suggest people are writing him off ( not aimed at you, but i see at least 3 peeps in this thread suggesting it).

if he plays average then meh, if he plays well then he gets praise, if he plays shit but makes the effort then its one of those days and people will understand he had a badday at the office

if he plays shit and swans around like lady muck doing **** all because he is sulking that the manager wrongly subbed him a few days previous and the result of his bad attitude in this game costs the team who have done **** awesome and battered the shit out of utd and had an easy 2 goal lead and were looking good for another goal and utd had **** all chances, then he gets rightfully lambasted.

is he too young to get a handsome pay packet? nope.

is he too young to play for the mighty claret and blue in the first team? nope

so how the **** can he be too young to be given the truth when it comes to individual performances?

or would some people like it if instead of being critical of such a woeful lack of effort or passion or any kind of respect to the rest of the lads, prefer to say " bravo fonz well done, you were right to act like a spoilt brat as the manager dropped a clanger and took you off against blackpool"?

it was like watching dwight yorke against everton, thats how bad i saw his display.

i think i am so pissed off about his lack of effort because the rest of the team put so much in, only for it to be pissed down the drain by having to play with only 10 players for the last 10 minutes.

FFS nobody is writing him off.

Are you speaking for all Villa fans? The supporters behind me were saying he will be a good championship striker at best. Nothing wrong with questioning his effort in the games, but people on this thread and generally have question his desire to suceed.

Â