Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

I was gonna fire up the xbox for the first time in 3 months but couldn't find the game I wanted to play and stumbled across this bad boy. Boom! 

11886793?wid=480&hei=480

Despite being a big fan of the podcasts and other related shows I only got round to watching The Office in full a few months ago - can't believe I had neglected it for so long!

As Captain Sensible once said, you've got to have a dream. I think this woman might be my new hero. From the Beeb

One woman's 21-year odyssey to visit every Wetherspoon's
By Owen Amos
BBC News
31 October 2015
 From the section Magazine
Mags Thomson
In today's Magazine

Many Britons enjoy a visit to the pub, but Mags Thomson has been on an extraordinary mission to visit every pub in one massive chain.
It's 10.30am in Wetherspoon's.
A family of four squirt ketchup on to fried breakfasts. A pensioner in a flat cap orders half a Guinness. A hen party, in pink T-shirts and matching headbands, knock back white wine and blue WKD.
Sitting alone, on a round table next to the hens, is Mags Thomson, from Livingston. If anyone has seen this before, she has.
Mags has been to 972 Wetherspoon's and - in every sense - counting.
The chain only had 936 pubs as of July this year but Mags' total includes 80 that have closed. The empire stretches from Wick in Caithness to Penzance in Cornwall. Mags has been to both.
She has, of course, been to this one before - the Shakespeare's Head in London. She can't remember when. After a while, they start to look the same.
'Spoons facts
The chain was founded by law graduate Tim Martin in 1979
The first Wetherspoon's was in Muswell Hill, London
The company is named after one of Mr Martin's old teachers, "a nice fellow who couldn't control a class"
Sitting by the window, warmed by early autumn sunshine, 66-year-old Mags goes back to where it began - Reading railway station in 1994.
"My husband was a railway enthusiast," she says, sipping a half pint of cider. "We used to go on holiday and spend a lot of time standing on platforms.
"To begin with, it was quite interesting. But it soon got very cold and boring, so I thought I'd have a look around Reading. I came across this pub. I phoned my husband and said: 'Why don't we meet here?'"
It was her first.
Mags' husband, IanImage copyrightMags Thomson
Image caption
Mags' husband, Ian, who went to 708 Wetherspoons
The railway trips continued - if they found a Wetherspoon's, all the better. After a couple of years, they became Wetherspoon's trips. The hobby was born.
From Aberdeen to Aberdare, Mags and Ian criss-crossed the country, one pub at a time. They even went to airports, if there was a branch before security.
For some people, a tour of Britain means Stonehenge to Edinburgh, via Windsor Castle and York Minster. For Mags and Ian, it meant Beccles, Biddulph, and Batley. Theirs was a not-the-National Trust tour of B-road Britain.
At first they kept a list of where they'd been. Then the firm printed a directory, with a tick box by each entry. "That made things a lot easier," says Mags.
By 2010, they had been to 708 Wetherspoon's. And then, in July that year, Ian died.
Mags "lost all confidence", she says. She didn't travel for two years. The directory stayed in a drawer.
After a while, her friends encouraged her to start travelling again, if only for one or two nights. But it wasn't easy. "It was a thing Ian and I did together," she says. "But after a while I thought - I can't just sit at home all day. He wouldn't want that."
Mags records her visits in the Wetherspoon's directory - green lines for pubs, red lines for hotels
In 2012, she went on a two-night trip to Newcastle. It's an easy train ride from Edinburgh, and there were some newly-opened Wetherspoon's pubs.
"I didn't know how I'd get on," she says. "But while I was away, I couldn't wait to be away again."
Mags again started collecting Wetherspoon's.
This autumn, Mags had a two-week, self-organised tour of Wetherspoon's in south-east England. Her itinerary took her from Aylesbury to Aldershot, via Southend, Shoeburyness, and Bishop's Stortford. She does it all via public transport and taxis - even the branch at Beaconsfield Services, on the M40.
So what do others make of her hobby?
"It's a good conversation point - if I meet someone from, say, Swansea, I can say: 'I know Swansea - nice Wetherspoon's there, the Bank Statement...'"
Beaconsfield services on the M40 - the Hope and ChampionImage copyrightPA
Image caption
Mags' latest Wetherspoon's tour took her to Beaconsfield services on the M40
Normally, Mags will reach her first pub of the day by mid-morning. She'll have coffee and toast, or a filled roll. If she wants something stronger, it's half a cider, a brandy and ginger, or a Fireball.
A Fireball?
"It's American whiskey [liqueur]," says Mags. "Very nice."
She travels alone - although a friend, Evelyn, often joins her on one-day Scottish trips - and is usually back at her hotel by early evening.
"I enjoy other people's company, but I enjoy my own," she says. "The good thing about Wetherspoon's is, they're always places I can sit on my own - read a paper, read a book, have a drink.
"Alright, there's one or two you might think 'I'm not sure'. But the vast majority are fine."
On the table next door, the hen party gets louder with every popped cork.
"Oh, I've seen a few hen dos and 21sts," says Mags, looking round. "I've even been asked to join a few."
Wetherspoon's magazineImage copyrightWetherspoon's
Image caption
Mags featured in Wetherspoon's quarterly magazine, after someone she met on a tour wrote in
Before this trip, Mags had been to 969 Wetherspoon's, including 80 that had closed. When she returns to Livingston, she'll be on 990.
She hasn't been to any in Ireland, either side of the border - that, says Mags, might be her next challenge.
Her ambition is to finish the list. But at the rate Wetherspoon's expands - there were 12 new branches between July 2014 and 2015 - it's like painting the Forth Bridge.
"Since I got back from Devon and Cornwall, they opened branches in Teignmouth and Tavistock," she smiles. "Still, it gives me a reason to go back."
Does she ever raise a glass to Ian?
"Oh, I do think of him," she says. "Quite often things will happen and I think: 'I wish Ian was here'.
"I go to new pubs, but I also visit ones where Ian and I went as a couple. It can get emotional."
"But what's the alternative? Sit at home and feel sorry for myself? He wouldn't want that. I've gone out and seen places, done things, met people."
Mags heads off to number 973: the Manor House in Royston, Hertfordshire. A new pub, a new green line in the directory, and a new story to tell.

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

I was gonna fire up the xbox for the first time in 3 months but couldn't find the game I wanted to play and stumbled across this bad boy. Boom! 

11886793?wid=480&hei=480

Despite being a big fan of the podcasts and other related shows I only got round to watching The Office in full a few months ago - can't believe I had neglected it for so long!

It's close to perfection in my mind. Just going through series 2 now.

I have two close friends that work for the NHS, they don't know each other.

Anyway, both have admitted to using drips to treat a hangover. The one guy applied a drip to himself whilst still hammered, and went to sleep and apparently woke up feeling amazing.

He's also admitted to turning up to work incredibly hung over and being given a drip and anti nausea tablets by a nurse to get him through the shift.

wednesday went to the pub after work and had 5 pints, thursday had four cans on way home in the van,friday had three cans on way home in the van and last night had 8 cans and a few vodkas at a halloween party. had no coke at all which is a bit of a miracle for me :D good thing about it though is ive enjoyed just drinking and getting the buzz just off that and last night for instance although i was being a idiot fooling around and annoying my missus i actually had a proper laugh where as when im on coke your not really having a laugh. woke up this morning feeling fresh instead of having no energy etc, missus said all i kept doing was laughing at my own jokes and although i annoyed her it was a nice change to actually see me acting the way i was. anyway its off to spoons i go ;)

My imminent McDonald's.

A Maccies every now and again is nice. I had one on Wednesday after a 'quick pint after work' turned into 6 or 7.

Double cheeseburger, chicken selects and fries. Hit the spot. No doubt saving me from throwing up as well!

me and my mate shared a 12 piece bucket from KFC the other day, absolutely stuffed me. cant beat KFC.

• Like 1

wednesday went to the pub after work and had 5 pints, thursday had four cans on way home in the van,friday had three cans on way home in the van and last night had 8 cans and a few vodkas at a halloween party. had no coke at all which is a bit of a miracle for me :D good thing about it though is ive enjoyed just drinking and getting the buzz just off that and last night for instance although i was being a idiot fooling around and annoying my missus i actually had a proper laugh where as when im on coke your not really having a laugh. woke up this morning feeling fresh instead of having no energy etc, missus said all i kept doing was laughing at my own jokes and although i annoyed her it was a nice change to actually see me acting the way i was. anyway its off to spoons i go ;)

I went out Wednesday night and went to Spoons this morning

Its like Fight Club. Ruge is my Tyler Durden :o

I went out Wednesday night and went to Spoons this morning

Its like Fight Club. Ruge is my Tyler Durden :o

never saw the film im afraid, is that bad?

your always in spoons.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

Â