Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

I can't actually fathom this.

How can she even comprehend what sound is?

She's obviously overwhelmed, but I dunno I just expected her head to explode or something because she'd be so bewildered.

Incredible stuff

I'm a bit perplexed by this. She was on the national news tonight. If she's never heard any sound, how can she comprehend the relationship between the written and the spoken word? 

And to thicken the plot further, she speaks - with the usual "deaf person's speech impediment" - but also with a definite trace of a Geordie accent (she's from Newcastle). This doesn't seem consistent with never having heard speech in her life. 

Not trying to demean the fantastic improvement in her life that this has given her, but I smell media exaggeration. 

Going back to golf. I don't mind golf... don't play it myself but no issue with it. Don't mind exclusive golf clubs either for well off people. What annoys me is women moaning about all men golf clubs that date back 200 years. Piss off slags. Let men have their space. You have your female gyms etc, let men have their refuges. Bitches.

When I saw it my guess was that the words were being signed to her off camera while they were read out.

Either way, it'd still be mindblowing to hear sounds, whether they were as good as in Russian or not.

I imagine she's lip reading.

Which would explain why the nurse/doc is speaking to her like she's a 3 year old.

I can understand how she can understand what is being said. And I'm not for one second saying its fake, I just expected her to be more... Bewildered I suppose.

Isn't golf a bit like horse racing where it used to be for the elite and then yer builders and plumbers came along and ruined it by wanting to show how affluent they had become as they worked cash in hand and paid no tax and thus had a few bob

To make it worse you can never find a bleedin plumber on a Friday afternoon , unless you are at the 18th green

Nah, horse racing is tiny men riding horses to death while gambling companies fleece vulnerable sods.

Golf is bigger men in better clothes and fancy sticks knocking a ball about. Sometimes it's a bit racist, most of the time it's a bit sexist, but it gives Peter Alliss something to do so it's OK in the end.

• Like 1

I can't actually fathom this.

How can she even comprehend what sound is?

She's obviously overwhelmed, but I dunno I just expected her head to explode or something because she'd be so bewildered.

Incredible stuff

I'm a bit perplexed by this. She was on the national news tonight. If she's never heard any sound, how can she comprehend the relationship between the written and the spoken word? 

And to thicken the plot further, she speaks - with the usual "deaf person's speech impediment" - but also with a definite trace of a Geordie accent (she's from Newcastle). This doesn't seem consistent with never having heard speech in her life. 

Not trying to demean the fantastic improvement in her life that this has given her, but I smell media exaggeration. 

with no actual knowledge, here I go.....

I think it could well be that she has never 'heard' these words but she will have 'felt' them, the vibration on a hand or with the music she mentioned, through her whole body

remember, she can already speak, so she must know what sound vibration to mimic and therefore would recognise well enough that what she is now hearing is indeed the words for the days of the week

what she didn't recognise at first were those other sounds she wouldn't know by learning to make them herself - she was apparently surprised by how noisey a scrunched crisp packet was, and was delighted by birdsong 

confession time, I was in the car early this morning when I first heard this story, and it nearly made me cry

Its an incredible story, and video.

Again I'm not doubting the authenticity of it at all.

I just sort of expected her to be MORE surprised by it. As if the whole concept of sound would be alien to her.

But as you said she probably experienced sounds, just not by hearing them.

Â