Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

On 07/05/2020 at 18:00, Xela said:

Booked Monday off work. 

Nothing to do but but beats staring at my work laptop for 8 hours. I'll just stare at my personal one instead! 

Bloody good news, some of your posts over the years have made me worry how much you overwork yourself! Enjoy a well earned day off :D 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I just finished week 5 of couch to 5k and ran for 20 minutes for possibly the first time in my life. 

I'm about 9kg down in 6 months, but 3kg since lockdown began. Could be a lot better off if I'd cut back on the booze earlier but I'm going to leave this covid19 lockdown bollocks behind in the best shape I've been in for years.

Should have a couple of extra kettlebells coming tomorrow as well.

I find this couch to 5k thing really impressive.

Well done.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I just finished week 5 of couch to 5k and ran for 20 minutes for possibly the first time in my life. 

I'm about 9kg down in 6 months, but 3kg since lockdown began. Could be a lot better off if I'd cut back on the booze earlier but I'm going to leave this covid19 lockdown bollocks behind in the best shape I've been in for years.

Well done mate! Keep it up. 

• Thanks 1

On 02/05/2020 at 23:33, Seat68 said:

Slade at the BBC on BBC4

We’re you as disappointed with that programme as I was?

It just sort of documented a slow decline, when for a little bit of imagination and a less strict timeline it could have been great TV.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Bloody good news, some of your posts over the years have made me worry how much you overwork yourself! Enjoy a well earned day off :D 

I've tried to take a step back over the last 12 months. Getting too jaded now to continue to play the corporate games. 

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We’re you as disappointed with that programme as I was?

It just sort of documented a slow decline, when for a little bit of imagination and a less strict timeline it could have been great TV.

Its interesting that you say that. It was missing so much and had a lot of superfluous tunes. Slade are, in my opinion, crying out for a good documentary. I was happy just to see their music on television but my wife voiced exactly what you are saying. 
They are the perfect example of why you shouldn’t piss off to America. They never came close to the success they had prior to that and that was the beginning of a drawn out end. That said I love a few of them later albums. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Fantastic, keep it up. Couch to 5K is really good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I couldn't envisage running for 20 minutes non-stop. Even when I was a kid playing sport all the time and running on and off for a full game of rugby or football, I could barely manage it when we had to cross-country, for example.

I've been walking for fitness & weight loss pretty much every day since the turn of the year (I started last summer but it rather went by the wayside after a couple of months) and was tempted to consider breaking in to a jog the other day - then I thought of my knees and sense took over.

I'm hoping to get involved in some five-aside if/when normality resumes, though, so sense will probably go out of the window then.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I couldn't envisage running for 20 minutes non-stop. Even when I was a kid playing sport all the time and running on and off for a full game of rugby or football, I could barely manage it when we had to cross-country, for example.

I've been walking for fitness & weight loss pretty much every day since the turn of the year (I started last summer but it rather went by the wayside after a couple of months) and was tempted to consider breaking in to a jog the other day - then I thought of my knees and sense took over.

I'm hoping to get involved in some five-aside if/when normality resumes, though, so sense will probably go out of the window then.

So, is it just knee problems that prevent you? Or - as you say - that you just "can't envisage" it? I was the most unsporty kid ever at school. Cross-country literally gave me nightmares. But once I started running on my own initiative (and got through the very real initial pain barrier), I loved it. Still do. 

18 minutes ago, snowychap said:

The first week is 60 seconds running, 90 seconds walking, repeated a few times. My lungs were on fire by the 4th run, mostly because I was stupid and thought I could just actually run rather than jog at a sensible pace. Last week was 5 minutes runs with 3 minute walks, repeated, and I didn't think I could do it, but kicked its arse. This week went up to 8 minute run, 5 minute walk, 8 minute run,, which wasn't too bad, then today's 20 minute run which was pretty intimidating. It builds it up so gradually, the first couple of sessions were probably the hardest so far.

In terms of knees, yeah, I started on normal pavements, and realised I was being stupid, so I moved on to a sports field which is big enough for now, there's a nature trail I'll be using as the runs get longer.

I'm not on commission, if you're happy with your current routine, stick to it, but I promise you it's not as bad as you think it is :) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So, is it just knee problems that prevent you? Or - as you say - that you just "can't envisage" it? I was the most unsporty kid ever at school. Cross-country literally gave me nightmares. But once I started running on my own initiative (and got through the very real initial pain barrier), I loved it. Still do. 

It's a combination of things, Mike.

I have a history of knee problems going back to early teenage years (torn ligaments skiing, stress on the joints from playing sport), am still a big chap (even though I've lost a considerable amount of weight in the last year and am probably back down to something like I may have weighed when I was 16/17), and I never really had the stamina for non-stop running.

It's partly seeing running as a means to an end, i.e. a way of playing and enjoying sport, and also probably because I'm just not built naturally for that kind of stamina. Keeping going for a game of rugby: running and stopping, running and stopping was okay (though I would never have considered myself fit) but just running would be a step or two too far.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not on commission, if you're happy with your current routine, stick to it, but I promise you it's not as bad as you think it is :) 

:)

I'm quite happy at the moment - though, like I say, I'll be looking to do a bit more when things provide for that but it really needs to be some sort of sport angle rather than just running.

When I say walking, I'm not talking about a post-prandial stroll, though - it's quite an uphill trudge (5%-13%) for the first half (about a mile and a bit) of the walk at the fastest walking pace I can manage so I'm very much out of breath by the time I turn around and come back down.

Edit: Much like ChrisP, I'm pretty impressed by the couch to 5k thing even if I recognise it's not for me.

Edited by snowychap

I've started couch to 5k a couple of times and got to the end of week 4. Week 5 & 6 seem to jump considerably in the amount of jogging time done and then 7 8 & 9 really test you, or so it would seem.

Need to get back on it. On a treadmill rather than the unforgiving road surfaces as it lessens impact on my knees, cos I'm a chunky lad. That said, i realise if i carry less weight then the impact would be less meaning i could run on roads.

It's a discussion i have with myself on a regular basis, especially when reaching for my next beer...

On 02/05/2020 at 16:05, Xela said:

Woke up today and my boiler wasn't working. 

Sorted it in ten mins with the aid of a youtube tutorial. It was only a minor thing (pressure was low) but i'm chuffed to bits as I am useless at anything like that. 

In our house, this is womans work

It's mad, the missus and her sister got taught by their dad about boilers and central heating when they were kids but he didn't teach their brother. Anyway as its one of the few DIY type jobs she can do, the radiator key is hers

• Like 1

We’ve settled in to jobs we prefer doing or are better at or just habitually do.

I’d say I do close on 99% of all cooking. If I’m home, it’s me that cooks.

The allotment and the garden, not much to do with me, I’ll dig and mow when asked to do so. But it wouldn’t occur to me in March to order seeds or sets or anything.

I do all my own ironing.

We needed an emergency towel once, I bolted up stairs, striding two stairs at a time. Got to the top, stopped, and had to ask where we keep the towels.

My wife has had a lifetime working in heating and plumbing and now manages these sort of things (pretending I know what she does). This presents itself in her knowing what is wrong with plumbing and heating, what it takes to fix it and more often than not, if she can’t do it, a man that will do it at a price I like. 
Like others have said, we have our jobs. 

Oh yes, we definitely have our jobs

She does most of the burning, as I''ll eat her food and say nothing. Sometimes I cook and it tastes so much better but she hates it. She's never undercooked anything in her life. I do most of the washing up, this however is a recent phenomena. If the roles are reversed, she doesn't seem to realise that she's doing far less washing up than I do because not once has she ever used the same utensil twice on the same meal or actually washed up some stuff in the middle. I say nothing because... well its not worth it.

I wash all my own clothes (1 wash per week - she does about 15 - again, not worth it), ironing? I rarely do ironing but having said that, I do all my own, the odd court appearance etc

Insects are definitely my job, it's the loudest she gets, she can be shouting at me but its still not as loud as SPIDER!!!!!

Lawn, pressure washing, yep that shits mine

Some shit TV show is on about holiday homes.

Happily Laura Hamilton is presenting it, and I'm twitching in the lower regions.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Some shit TV show is on about holiday homes.

Happily Laura Hamilton is presenting it, and I'm twitching in the lower regions.

images (2).jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â