Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

JK Rowling is going on a bit of a mission on Twitter busting a load of myths about things that inspired her when writing Harry Potter. 

All those cafes and schools that claim she wrote there or were the inspiration for hogwarts etc. Mostly seems to be nonsense 😂

5 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac, geriatric Fleetwood Mac or somewhere in between?

We talked at length about the Peter Green featuring 1973 Greatest Hits FM album and how it potentially is one of the best albums ever. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I just read that the virus spread like wildfire through a congregation in rural Arkansas after bible study and a couple of events right before the shelter in place guidelines came out.  All the right wing evangelical leaders in the US want churches to be exempt from social distancing recommendations and Trump is backing them 100% because, you know, you can't adequately commune with or worship your god without being in the midst of dozens of people.  I'm sure He would insist on them getting together and risking infecting each other to prove the extent of their devotion to Him.   And if a bunch of them get sick and die, well you can bet it will rationalized as part of God's plan.   So their all loving benevolent god insists on them getting together and killing each other and making each other sick.  What a novel way to show your love for your "children".

11 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I won the day yesterday and unsure how. I suspect the usual suspects were busy and I fluked it. 

Probably should go in the 'things that piss you off thread', but I have never won the day. I feel very unpopular. Either that or I just have nothing good to say.

Or both. I'm going with both. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Probably should go in the 'things that piss you off thread', but I have never won the day. I feel very unpopular. Either that or I just have nothing good to say.

Or both. I'm going with both. 

Its not something that happens to me often so I am very pleased when it happens. I don’t win it enough to say there is a formula. That said to guide you on your way have a like. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I won the day yesterday and unsure how. I suspect the usual suspects were busy and I fluked it. 

I won the day a couple of months ago. First time for me. All for a couple of jokey covid-related posts. I feel bad about it now but eff it - I won the day. 

• Like 1

Played 9 holes of golf with some pals earlier. 

For a couple of blissful hours everything felt almost normal, it was like being in a bubble away from it all. Had great laugh and it’s hard to explain, but for the first time since lockdown I felt alive again. Finished off with a cold beer in the car park too. It was ace. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Members of the same household, I hope? ;)

You can only book a 2 ball, but 2 other friends just happened to miraculously book the tee-time right after ours ;)

All very socially distanced I might add and the beauty of my golf game is, I’m rarely near anybody else on the course! 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

...the beauty of my golf game is, I’m rarely near anybody else on the course!

Sounds like mine.

Played twice this week and the only times I saw my playing partners (different one on each occasion) were at each tee and green. It definitely felt normal. :)

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

We’ve been doing a bit of decorating, just freshening up some paintwork really. But it’s involved moving books on and off various bookcases. So I’ve taken the opportunity to select books for where I sit when I have Conf calls. Smiling away like a simpleton building a strong bookcase game for Tuesday morning’s first call.

Can I get a copy of Mein Kampf before Tuesday a.m.?

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

Played 9 holes of golf with some pals earlier. 

For a couple of blissful hours everything felt almost normal, it was like being in a bubble away from it all. Had great laugh and it’s hard to explain, but for the first time since lockdown I felt alive again. Finished off with a cold beer in the car park too. It was ace. 

Going with my brother on Wednesday and am genuinely excited to be out in the fresh air with 'no worries' apart from my terrible golf for a few hours. Cannot wait

• Like 2

Refunded the cost of my flights to LV today from British Airways. Took 4 weeks total and as it was a total of 4 flights with seats paid for I didn’t think I would get the full amount back, right first time. It did and now its set aside for a time when its safer. 

• Like 3

12 pounds down in 5 weeks. 
The lockdown has been good for something. 

Put 2 stone on in the last year. Lost motivation in the gym and the diet. Been able to refocus and work on getting back to where I was. 

Probably losing muscle too. But I can concentrate on building that back up over the winter when gyms are safe. 

Should probably go in the gym thread, but it’s cheering me up.

• Like 3

Similar to you @Stevo985 I weighed myself on Sunday and found I’d lost two stone in three months. Mine’s literally just from stopping drinking completely. I’m still a pig when it comes to food and I haven’t been to the gym in over a year. It’s mental how many calories I was knocking back each day. 

Cant wait to get back to the gym now and get my muscle back, when it’s safe to though and not before. 

• Like 1

Â