Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Going down a bit of a YouTube rabbit hole recently I've ended up watching and learning a load of magic tricks.  There's one man, Dani Daortiz who is unbelievable, makes me feel like a kid again in absolute amazement.  Anyone else into magic?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Just got back from an evening at Chez Jay in Santa Monica.

The list of celebs who’ve been there is extensive (we mainly visited for the Dennis Wilson connection).

Superb service and food, this cheers me up no end, and we still have time to go back 😋

I have had a couple of holidays in Santa Monica and bloody loved the place, never got to Chez Jay. 

35 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I have had a couple of holidays in Santa Monica and bloody loved the place, never got to Chez Jay. 

There’s a list on the wall by the bogs of the famous who’ve been in there, it’s astounding 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/01/2024 at 20:25, rjw63 said:

Victoria Coren looking incredibly dirty tonight 👍🏼😻

I just cannot take to that woman.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

I just cannot take to that woman.

Pretty much how I feel towards her. Although in fairness I don’t see her on shows often.

I think she’s intelligent, generally I feel like television is better for having someone like her on presenting. I’m kinda glad she’s a success. 

But there’s something about her that I just don’t warm to. Maybe a condescending quality I’m picking up. Don’t know.

24 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Pretty much how I feel towards her. Although in fairness I don’t see her on shows often.

I think she’s intelligent, generally I feel like television is better for having someone like her on presenting. I’m kinda glad she’s a success. 

But there’s something about her that I just don’t warm to. Maybe a condescending quality I’m picking up. Don’t know.

Yeah, condescending, and thinks she's a lot funnier than she is. On the rare occasions when I've bothered watching Only Connect, her attempts at humour give me terrible 2nd hand embarrassment for her. She seems completely void of a genuine personality.

26 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I just go with the “filthy posh tart” angle 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Yeah, condescending, and thinks she's a lot funnier than she is. On the rare occasions when I've bothered watching Only Connect, her attempts at humour give me terrible 2nd hand embarrassment for her. She seems completely void of a genuine personality.

Totally. However, I think - although I could be wrong... that's the joke. She deliberately does unfunny 'tumbleweed' jokes. 

But yeah, she's smug. Although (at the risk of invoking my own sexism & misogyny thread)... still would. 

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Totally. However, I think - although I could be wrong... that's the joke. She deliberately does unfunny 'tumbleweed' jokes. 

But yeah, she's smug. Although (at the risk of invoking my own sexism & misogyny thread)... still would. 

Yeah I assumed that was the joke as well

Probably for the shallow Hal thread but she’s a bit too lumpy (body wise) for my taste

54 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I don't think that is the joke though, because it gets sympathetic laughs from the teams, like they're trying to avoid the tumbleweed for her. Otherwise surely we'd all be in on the tumbleweed shtick. I think her jokes just land like Stevie Wonder's darts.

15 hours ago, BOF said:

She's absolutely horrendous

I absolutely adore Only Connect but she's the worst part about it. And she's clearly getting more and more time given to her to be "funny", and she's just not.

Â