Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

It's hard to be too critical given that him & Richards are new together, they really need to be working on their position and communication in training as they're getting

separated way too easily right now throwing the entire defence out if whack. This is mostly due to Richards right now. Clark can be (is?) a good PL level defender but I don't think he'll ever cut it as someone holding the entire defence together. 

It's also clear that trust in the Gk is missing right now and that really needs sorting out, either in training or otherwise.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SGC....

And I'm not having a go here, I'm just highlighting why we may seem a million miles apart in certain things. We're probably not, though 'wording' may be emphasising a difference.

Fwiw, for a season or so, I believe lescott will be a better option than clark.

However, the other day when speaking about youth players worth getting excited about, you referred to ciaran clark as a very good premiership defender.

Yet you've just said you feel that joleon lescott is better by some distance.

Being better than 'very good' by some distance suggests that lescott is one of the best defenders in the league. Which we all know he isn't.

My point (and why I'm so sceptical when you refer to the excitement of 16-19 year olds) is that you never leave much room for superlatives to describe other players making it difficult to decipher how good you actually think players are.

For example:

Clark is very good to you - pretty decent praise.

Lescott is better by some distance.

What's someone like vertonghen? Stones? Koscielny? Kompany? There's literally nowhere to go in terms of superlatives because you've rated clark so highly initially?

I see where you're coming from WT but there is no middle ground with me, it's just the way I am in every walk of life, I don't know why that is, it's just the way I am, in my opinion Clark is a very good defender for a club like us, I struggle to articulate myself, again I don't know why that is. I see what you mean WT, I think you make some very good points, in my opinion Lescott was one of the best defenders in the league in his prime but he obviously isn't now but I'd still take him here, no doubt

At this point last season I was exactly where Trent was. I didnt think he was good enough and it petrified me to see him in the team.

When injuries brought him in to the first eleven last year he forced me to change my mind game by game, and I really like it when players do that. He was excellent throughout until he got injured. Even Trent begruggingly praised his performances in this thread and then went very quiet over several months as Clark showed a level of his consistency we hadnt seen from him before.

In fairness to Trent he did say this summer he still wasnt convinced by Clark. It looks like he is now using this mistake to "prove" he was right. Of course it is all still opinions and this mistake may support his opinion but it doesnt prove anything.

Everybody makes mistakes even the best players. For me he has been largely solid in our first three games, accusing him of being at fault for Januzaj's goal is laughable as I saw someone do a few pages back. I wouldnt be dropping Amavi after the Palace game either but I suppose that was primarily Guzans fault so its a different situation ;)

I still think Clark is a decent player and I wont be throwing the last 6/7 months of very promising form away off the back of one mistake.

Although I do agree his 1st 11 time maybe numbered as I dont think Lescott would come here to sit on the bench. However last season showed chances do come and you have to take them when you get the chance.

I rate Lescott, always have so its win win for me.

I think that while he is at the heart of our defence, we're not getting into the top half of the league. In fact, right now we only have 1 defender who is top 10 standard and that's amavi. Richards has the potential to get back there but not a cb.

I think that while he is at the heart of our defence, we're not getting into the top half of the league. In fact, right now we only have 1 defender who is top 10 standard and that's amavi. Richards has the potential to get back there but not a cb.

I disagree about Richards, but I remeber making a similar point before Sherwood came in last season. We had a squad full of players, with the exception of Given, Cleverley, Cissokho and Hutton (and Gabby under MON), whose only acheivements in the English game were finishing consistantly in the bottom half of the Premier League. Wanting them to be better and believing they can be, they have it in them, is a million miles away from actually doing it week in week out at the highest standard. I'm glad the cull has started and with half that squad gone the future looks brighter, but the reality is we have half that squad left.

Clark's a good player, and he's one of us. But until he plays in a team that isn't constantly battling it out at the bottom of the league I don't see how anyone can think he is any better or worse than his record shows.

for those of you that think that ciaran clarke is good enough you are not living in a place i like to call earth!!

ask yourselves these questions!!

can he pass a ball? no

is he good at man marking? no 

is he a good tackler? yes 

is he clumsey? yes

is he good at organising the defensive line? no 

can he break into the irish int national setup?? NO they prefare john oshea!!!!

has he come under the eye of mon as irish manager?? NO

has he been prone to mistakes?? yes

positives??

he got himself 2 goals and 1 assist last year 

other than that i think he is are defence weakest link therefore i dont know why we rate him so highly!!

for those of you that think that ciaran clarke is good enough you are not living in a place i like to call earth!!

can he pass a ball? no

is he clumsey? yes

positives??

other than that i think he is are defence weakest link therefore i dont know why we rate him so highly!!

It's a good job that Ciaran Clarke doesn't play for us then.

??? 

can he pass a ball? no

is he clumsey? yes

positives??

??? 

His name is Ciaran Clark. No "e" at the end. That's what Stefan was referring to.

Edited by Fab

can he pass a ball? no

is he clumsey? yes

positives??

??? 

His name is Ciaran Clark. No "e" at the end. That's what Stefan was referring to.

Yep.

It drives me mad how people can't spell a player's name, who has played for us for YEARS, wrong.

Â