Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

You mean in the fact that he looks far to slow to play left back, but still manages to do a reasonable job there?

No, in the fact that he gets lost, has to lunge, gets badly exposed a fair few times per game and isn't a natural fullback. In short, against a top right winger he'll be a weak link provided he stays on the pitch. I'm one of CC's biggest fans and have been championing him from the reserves, but he's no leftback.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean in the fact that he looks far to slow to play left back, but still manages to do a reasonable job there?

No, in the fact that he gets lost, has to lunge, gets badly exposed a fair few times per game and isn't a natural fullback. In short, against a top right winger he'll be a weak link provided he stays on the pitch. I'm one of CC's biggest fans and have been championing him from the reserves, but he's no leftback.

He's no left back and looks it, but tbf he's done a good job filling in, especially as a 19 year old. I'd rather have him there than Warnock.

I think he'll be a good CB in a couple of years.

Got ripped apart over and over by Bentley last week and Johnson this week which is a real shame as its not his position. Much happier seeing him at CB.

By Bentley??

Did you watch the game? He made Bentley look very average and kept him out the game IMO.

Hence I said reasonable job, Barry was no full back either.

Hopefully we will get another left back in before the transfer window, as Bentley isn't the fastest around and he still did Clark for pace.

Got ripped apart over and over by Bentley last week and Johnson this week which is a real shame as its not his position. Much happier seeing him at CB.

By Bentley??

Did you watch the game? He made Bentley look very average and kept him out the game IMO.

Yes and Yes.

Bentley beat him too easily a number of times. Luckily he didn't do anything with it afterwards.

He's 20 and I think the best we can say is he's 'doing well for a centre back'. But I don't like praise that contains caveats.

He's doing well for a young CB playing LB and probably no better.

However, he's played very well at times, like the Chelsea first half when he was the best player on the pitch. Also, teams have targeted him and had a right go at him. He's stood up pretty well under the pressure, considering.

Bentley beat him no more than I'd expect him to beat any left back, in fact alot less than I expected him to do.

I think the lad is getting harsh criticism tbh

I spent 2 mins searching Clarks name in the match thread and these are the results from the first page....

OBE Wrote

Clark has been absolutely taken to pieces in this first half, we desperately need to get him some help -

DiegoD Wrote

Downing needs to play on the left and help Clark against Bently.

vreitti Wrote

Why aren't we defending the left side at all? Clark is clearly struggling big time with Bentley

Barry_static Wrote

Clark is struggling with Bentley and only Nige is helping him out

I don't like him on the left at all, he's a red card waiting to happen there.

I rather have him there than anyone else we've got. He's picking up great experience too. I know what you mean about the red card though, think he's been booked 6 out of the last 7 now.

I thought the first time 15 or so minutes, Bentley had the upper hand but soon Clark got into him and Bentley really didn't do anything after the first spell. Clark has done okay, if you are comparing him to left back's aged 21, he's been okay. He hasn't done anything terrible but nor is he a long term option. I don't mind him as cover for left back and he's doing a better job than Warnock at the moment. We need a new left back though. I'd love for us to go for Jose Enrique. I think if we can attract Darren Bent, we should be able to get this guy.

Also remember that Bentley hasn't played for ages and has never been the kind of winger to beat his man anyway, preferring to cross early. Ciaran better be on his toes against Wigan *gulp*.

Also remember that Bentley hasn't played for ages and has never been the kind of winger to beat his man anyway, preferring to cross early. Ciaran had better potentially fatally maim N'Zogbia during the game against Wigan at the expense of a yellow card.*gulp*.

Fixed and agreed.

Bentley beat him no more than I'd expect him to beat any left back, in fact alot less than I expected him to do.

I think the lad is getting harsh criticism tbh

I spent 2 mins searching Clarks name in the match thread and these are the results from the first page....

OBE Wrote

Clark has been absolutely taken to pieces in this first half, we desperately need to get him some help -

DiegoD Wrote

Downing needs to play on the left and help Clark against Bently.

vreitti Wrote

Why aren't we defending the left side at all? Clark is clearly struggling big time with Bentley

Barry_static Wrote

Clark is struggling with Bentley and only Nige is helping him out

Ahh the match thread. That famous thread where no one over reacts or moans at a player for no reason.

Benltey did feck all in that game, mostly due to Clark keeping him out of it.

I remember one decent cross from him towards the end. He was and is shite.

Â