Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Not doubting the ITK's on here but......

........if you follow that twitter link to Andy Townsends page he is convinced its not Houllier, just saying.

I doubt that's Andy Townsend. Why does he have a picture of the Villa badge? I know he was captain here etc, but he's hardly Villa through and through is he?

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link for Townsend's page?

http://twitter.com/AndyDTownsend

Was it just me reading that thinking 'I never knew he was such a clearing in the woods'?

It's clearly not really Andy..

I was thinking that too, that person is a right d**k whoever that is....

Yeah, but what makes you think it isn't Andy?

To be fair, I think that one is Andy Townsend.

GH will be fine.

I´ll think we will probably be in for more entertaining transfer windows!

Funny you should say that as I was just reading the bit on his wiki detailing his transfers at plop. Let me tell you, it's a bit of a horror show that. He had James and friedel at the club, but shipped them out to replace them with arphexiad and westerveld, genius that. It's a mystery how he won the uefa cup and fa cup with a history like that in the Market. Quite shocking how many duds are in there.

GH will be fine.

Funny you should say that as I was just reading the bit on his wiki detailing his transfers at plop. Let me tell you, it's a bit of a horror show that. He had James and friedel at the club, but shipped them out to replace them with arphexiad and westerveld, genius that. It's a mystery how he won the uefa cup and fa cup with a history like that in the Market. Quite shocking how many duds are in there.

Also is one of Milan Baros' biggest fans :o

Other gems hes unearthed include Salif Diao and Igor Biscan.

My goodness

"I tell you what, I've spent a lazy afternoon with friends reminiscing about my time as an Irishman. For me, they were heady days"

That Townsend Twitter is actually quite amusing. Possibly too subtle for some!

I thought that!

This one made me chuckle...

I love Thursdays. People write them off but for me they're right up there with the Fridays and Saturdays of this world

Just such an Andy Townsend type thing to say

GH will be fine.

Also is one of Milan Baros' biggest fans :o

Other gems hes unearthed include Salif Diao and Igor Biscan.

My goodness

dont forget Titi Camara,pure gems the lot of them.

GH will be fine.

Stop focusing on the negatives and see that he also signed Dudek, Hyypia, Finnan, Henchoz, Kirkland, Riise, Hamann, McAllister, and Barmby.

No manager goes through 6 years at a club without making a few mistakes and bad signings, what is important is that he makes some good signings too and does well in cups and the league.

Dont know why Diouf is classed as a bad signing, fair enough he didnt set the world on fire there but he's a decent player despite being a total idiot

Not to mention that nobody questioned the signing at the time - he had a great tournament and the majority of people thought he'd become a top player. Houllier just got unlucky with him really.

Biscan was also highly rated at the time, he came in and couldn't dislodge a very good Liverpool midfield at the time. Therefore Houllier used him as a utility player, playing him in various positions, something which can make it very tough to sustain form when you don't know your role inside out. He also only cost around £5m IIRC which for a solid player isn't bad at all. He certainly played enough games in a variety of positions to justify his signing.

anyone know what style of football he is known to play?

Not very attractive football at Liverpool. But to be fair I guess it is an advantage as our players have been used to it.

Although at Lyon his teams dominated the leagues scoring a lot of goals, which shows he can play a more attacking brand of football if required.

He managed to get Emile Heskey scoring more than 20 goals in one season.

Also won 3 trophies in one season. We haven't won 3 trophies in the last 25 years.

I think we'll be fine under GH.

All true and I agree we will be fine. He won't get Heskey bagging more than 20 in the rest of his career though!

Stop focusing on the negatives and see that he also signed Dudek, Hyypia, Finnan, Henchoz, Kirkland, Riise, Hamann, McAllister, and Barmby.

That doesn't really fill me with any more confidence.

Toulalan, Kallstrom, Diarra, Fred and Tiago... any better?