Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

IF this appointment is what the board of Aston Villa have decided, then I will place my firm support behind their choice. It has obviously been made with a great deal of thought and it has been done by consulting with various skilled and experienced authorities within the game on a number of levels.

I was extremely disappointed when MON left, it was unexpected and the timing was devastating. It was very clear that because of the poor timing, the "shortlist" of possible replacements would be short indeed. It has become clear that the owners of our club did not want to poach another clubs manager, but did try within the boundaries of decency and without using unethical means to attract other currently working managers (Moyes' contracted club was approached but they rejected that approach firmly as far as we are aware, and the Martin Jol situation was really quite clear and we had little hope from the beginning as far as that was concerned.) I, personally, am happy with this approach, I want my club to be conducting itself with dignity and treating other clubs and their staff with respect.

I am certain, and have been given no reason to suspect otherwise, that our club has searched and examined many candidates from far and wide. It has become clear that many candidates that were mooted here were either unsuitable when measured up to our expectations and aspirations, they had neither the experience or stature (Curbs?, Brown? KMac?) . On the other hand, it may well be that some candidates had their own expectations or demands that were not in keeping with our LIMITATIONS and a realistic business vision, given the particular circumstances of this current financial climate. (Sven??)

I really don't see how we can be certain with regard to how the club viewed any possible candidates until or unless the club decided to share their philosophy or methods with us, but to be frank, I rather suspect that information will never be forthcoming. Neither is there much point in debating who might or might not have had a chance to interview. (or for that matter who might never have been given a chance...) Of one thing we can be certain, the process has been challenging and not without some frustration.

The club has chosen a man with a great deal of experience in other leagues as well as our own, an international recognised profile and reputation, he has won titles and cups at a very high level, he could easily be placed in the same bracket as our former manager when his experience and success are considered, and it is arguable that his resume is actually considerably more impressive than that of the enigmatic MON. Yes, the choice might have been Klinsman, it may have been Hiddinck, but it may have also been Curbs or Bradley. I believe we've done well, even landed on our feet, if you like. If the prospective candidate has men he knows within the job that he would like to have as assistants, then he is more than welcome to bring them in as far as I'm concerned, whether they at one time wore the redscouse shirt or not. I would hope that the staff in charge of the team I support would have a professional attitude and conduct their affairs without childish partisanship getting in the way, as is the case, for example, with our own Ashley Young, who is of course not a boyhood Villa fan but a gunner, after all.

Welcome, Mr Houllier, as it would appear your arrival is imminent, I will trust the clubs decision, not only because

a) I have little choice

but also because

B) I have been given NO REASON not to.

Up The Villa!!!!!!!!

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its GH im 100% behind him as i would be if it was anyone else for the simple reason im a villa fan and its part of my life whoever gets the job will have there critics and admirers but we all need to get behind the new boss and get the goood times back to villa park :winkold:

villa till i die :flag:

IF this appointment is what the board of Aston Villa have decided, then I will place my firm support behind their choice. It has obviously been made with a great deal of thought and it has been done by consulting with various skilled and experienced authorities within the game on a number of levels.

I was extremely disappointed when MON left, it was unexpected and the timing was devastating. It was very clear that because of the poor timing, the "shortlist" of possible replacements would be short indeed. It has become clear that the owners of our club did not want to poach another clubs manager, but did try within the boundaries of decency and without using unethical means to attract other currently working managers (Moyes' contracted club was approached but they rejected that approach firmly as far as we are aware, and the Martin Jol situation was really quite clear and we had little hope from the beginning as far as that was concerned.) I, personally, am happy with this approach, I want my club to be conducting itself with dignity and treating other clubs and their staff with respect.

I am certain, and have been given no reason to suspect otherwise, that our club has searched and examined many candidates from far and wide. It has become clear that many candidates that were mooted here were either unsuitable when measured up to our expectations and aspirations, they had neither the experience or stature (Curbs?, Brown? KMac?) . On the other hand, it may well be that some candidates had their own expectations or demands that were not in keeping with our LIMITATIONS and a realistic business vision, given the particular circumstances of this current financial climate. (Sven??)

I really don't see how we can be certain with regard to how the club viewed any possible candidates until or unless the club decided to share their philosophy or methods with us, but to be frank, I rather suspect that information will never be forthcoming. Neither is there much point in debating who might or might not have had a chance to interview. (or for that matter who might never have been given a chance...) Of one thing we can be certain, the process has been challenging and not without some frustration.

The club has chosen a man with a great deal of experience in other leagues as well as our own, an international recognised profile and reputation, he has won titles and cups at a very high level, he could easily be placed in the same bracket as our former manager when his experience and success are considered, and it is arguable that his resume is actually considerably more impressive than that of the enigmatic MON. Yes, the choice might have been Klinsman, it may have been Hiddinck, but it may have also been Curbs or Bradley. I believe we've done well, even landed on our feet, if you like. If the prospective candidate has men he knows within the job that he would like to have as assistants, then he is more than welcome to bring them in as far as I'm concerned, whether they at one time wore the redscouse shirt or not. I would hope that the staff in charge of the team I support would have a professional attitude and conduct their affairs without childish partisanship getting in the way, as is the case, for example, with our own Ashley Young, who is of course not a boyhood Villa fan but a gunner, after all.

Welcome, Mr Houllier, as it would appear your arrival is imminent, I will trust the clubs decision, not only because

a) I have little choice

but also because

B) I have been given NO REASON not to.

Up The Villa!!!!!!!!

As good a post as I have read on here for a long time.

Why do some people think GH is a step down from MON?

I think it's a step up personally. MON hit a glass ceiling in terms of his ability - top 6 is about as far as he can ever take a permier league side. Even his scottish record wasn't spectaculour - McClaeish won a similar number of trophies there.

Why do some people think GH is a step down from MON?

I think it's a step up personally. MON hit a glass ceiling in terms of his ability - top 6 is about as far as he can ever take a permier league side. Even his scottish record wasn't spectaculour - McClaeish won a similar number of trophies there.

Oh dear you dont wonna go there!

Houllier is ok personally, nothing more nothing less...

What's the deal with GH then MM? is he bringing PT?

I don't know tbh but I am being told PT has resigned from sky

The guy is an idiot and a prick. He has never given me any other impression than he hates Villa. I will be very angry if PT is let anywhere near this club.

What's the deal with GH then MM? is he bringing PT?

I don't know tbh but I am being told PT has resigned from sky

The guy is an idiot and a prick. He has never given me any other impression than he hates Villa. I will be very angry if PT is let anywhere near this club.

Then you best start getting your 'I'm very angry' face ready because from what I've heard (and this is nothing to do with MM) he has quit Sky.